Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Grimnir

Dutchtubs, anyone seen one?

http://www.goodenergyshop.co.uk/details.asp?id=16

Look really good Smile a hot tub wherever you go (if you can transport it there...)
lettucewoman

HOW much???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised Surprised Sorry - good idea but there is NO way I could countenance spending that much money on one...even if i had it!!!! Very Happy
Bebo

Look a bit on the small side as well.
gil

Yeh, I don't know how you'd fit 4+ adults in it (since it claims to hold 1-4+ people). Well, Ok, I can imagine if they knew each other very well. 4 small children maybe.
Jonnyboy

Kid soup.
Stacey

Why is everything wood powered supposed to be good? Confused

Is there enough wood for everyone on the planet to power everything?
marigold

Stacey wrote:

Good question! I think the theory with wood is that you can grow some more, but...
JB

marigold wrote:
Stacey wrote:

Good question! I think the theory with wood is that you can grow some more, but...

Isn't that just a bit like carbon offsets though?
vegplot

My brother has built one using an old Villager wood stove with back boiler and one of those round plastic swimming pools. A bit of decking and it looks like a old wood fired stove and platsic swimming pool cobbbled together. Works a treat though apparently. Cost - nowhere near tri mil punt.
RichardW

I love were is says "without damaging the environment"

BUT ITS MADE FROM PLASTIC

Watch out for the MkII version with a BBQ grill on top.

RichardW
sean

If I wanted one (and I don't) I'd go for one of the wooden ones powered by a woodburner anyway.
vegplot

This is a Dutch tub

dpack

a pressed steel bathtub with a smooth plank to sit on and a fire on a slidable tray under it is cheap and fun if a bit missionary in papua til you get used to it
i prefer sweat lodge and a cold spring
dpack

ps a car radiator attached to plug and overflow and heated by a small fire under the rad also works quite well
happytechie

is that really a trailing mains power socket floating in a pool of water on a pair of flip flops? Shocked I'm fairly relaxed about mains power but that seems a really bad idea as a combination with beer
Stacey

happytechie wrote:
is that really a trailing mains power socket floating in a pool of water on a pair of flip flops? Shocked I'm fairly relaxed about mains power but that seems a really bad idea as a combination with beer

It's a hoax
vegplot

Stacey wrote:
happytechie wrote:

It's a hoax

It would have to be a hoax otherwise I'm not sure how their ancestral lineage survived as long as it did.
Slim

Stacey wrote:

there definitely isn't enough wood on the planet for everyone to live with as much luxury as we have. But when we're just thinking about us, wood is considered a carbon-neutral source of energy because the carbon that you're spewing out was captured during photosynthesis within the tree's lifespan. As opposed to pumping and releasing carbon out of the ground that had been captured during photosynthesis millions of years ago.

Burning with wood can be made into a closed carbon cycle; burning fossil fuels is like adding a brand new arrow from the ground up into that same carbon cycle, with no new exit arrow....

Planting trees as a carbon offset is somewhat related, but more of a wool, being pulled over the world's eyes.
vegplot

cpg03 wrote:
Planting trees as a carbon offset is somewhat related, but more of a wool, being pulled over the world's eyes.

Indeed as it will be released back into the atmosphere in non geological time. It's a sop.
James

dpack wrote:
ps a car radiator attached to plug and overflow and heated by a small fire under the rad also works quite well

hmm...I like that idea, sort of a downsizer/ instructable DIY hot tub.
You could easily build it from skip rummaging & a visit to the scrappy.

You'd need to clean the radiator out quite well first.
Slim

dpack wrote:
a pressed steel bathtub with a smooth plank to sit on and a fire on a slidable tray under it is cheap and fun if a bit missionary in papua til you get used to it

that's called a redneck jacuzzi over here.

goes well with a redneck swimming pool to cool off in

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home