Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Early for blewits, but...

...spotted these from the bicycle on the way home

Also saw a good few horse shrooms and some field shrooms.

The seasons this year are so screwed.
Jonnyboy

Found what I thought was a kind of blewitt on the weekend, it had the colour and sheen of polished wood. Couldn't identify it from the books, must post a pic when I remember
nettie

No blewits yet but I came away from a gentle wander this morning with rather a lot of bay boletes.
cab

nettie wrote:
No blewits yet but I came away from a gentle wander this morning with rather a lot of bay boletes.

Oooh, nice. Wish I had some good boletes within walking distance!
Maxwell

I've had one tiny Blewit and a few Shaggy Manes come up in the garden, probably something to do with all the horse crap a dug into the garden earlier this year Smile

Been picking loads of Bay Boletes and found my first Hedgehog mushrooms (Hydnum repandum) the other day. I've got so many hedgehogs I don't know what to do with them! Shocked
pizza

Little butter and generous soy sauce, hedgehogs are marvellous!
doctoral

Blewits

Beautiful Cab, but Sad I haven't seen any blewits yet - maybe not cold enough ....
cab

Re: Blewits

doctoral wrote:
Beautiful Cab, but Sad I haven't seen any blewits yet - maybe not cold enough ....

I haven't seen any more since either. Fingers crossed, eh? Smile
tractorfactorsteve

i've found loads of blewits here in suffolk over the past week or so. they seem to be really good for drying. i've done loads on strings in the airing cupboard, along with field and wood boletus. the ones that haven't dried so well are the parasols. i think they were too wet to begin with after a night of heavy rain...must make a difference? there are also loads of brown mushies growing alongside the shady paths round here, they bruise red and taste good, and i'm still alive! wot are they?
hedgehogpie

pizza wrote:
Little butter and generous soy sauce, hedgehogs are marvellous!

Shocked
james_so

I'm really bad at IDing mushrooms and can never find anything that looks like anything I find on the rogers site Confused

Could these be blewits? The tops were grey/brown in colour (i'm bad at photoing mushrooms too I guess...). It was pretty late in the day when we found them.
Stewy

Could well be, but don't eat em if your not 100% sure.
cab

I can't really make out the colour or texture of the stems from those pics, so its really hard to say.
Leif

james_so wrote:

Could these be blewits?

The above do not look like Field Blewits to me. They resemble (poisonous) Entoloma sinuatum, though I cannot be sure. I have found a lot of E. sinuatum this year. What size were they? There are also some Tricholoma species such as T. luscina which will look similar.

I found some Field Blewits in woods a few weeks ago. It's the first time I've seen them in woods as I thought they were restricted to fields.
james_so

They were between 3-6cm (ish) growing at the edge of sparse pine (with small birches etc) woodland (plantation) close to a stream. I didn't pick any 'cos it was evening when we found them and they were pretty messy by then Confused

There were at least a dozen different types of mushroom growing within about 500 sq yards and I could only identify one type, Fly Agaric Neutral . Although there was one or two Boletus but too mushed up to see which..
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home