Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sean

Eco-friendly paint

Those of us with an older house/delusions of grandeur/both may like to investigate the Farrow & Ball website. I'm not sure how eco-friendly their definition of eco-friendly is, but they're cracking paints to use and they do a really nice range of colours. Can't comment on their wallpaper because I loathe the stuff in all shapes and forms.
Northern_Lad

Arg! Why is that no-one makes colours any more? Most ranges vary between off-white and light beige.
sean

Umm, they do loads of colours. Are you using a black and white monitor on your PC?
Northern_Lad

sean wrote:
Umm, they do loads of colours. Are you using a black and white monitor on your PC?

Yes, I can that there's loads of colours, but their all so bland. It's not just them though, it took me 3 months of seaching before I find a decent green for my living room. My house is 200 years old, so light colours don't really work.
Gervase

Sadly, nice as Farrow & Ball's colours are, few of them are eco-friendly; other than their limited range of distempers and limewashes, they use the same alkyd base used in most modern paints.
There are many better paints on the market; have a look a the Naturual Building Technologies site, or do a Google search and you'll come up with quite a few. Many are made in Germany and Scandinavia, but there are a number of British manufacturers now making more environmentally-friendly paints.
You could always make your own, of course - limewashes, distempers and linseed oil paints are fairly simple to prepare and extremely green (even if you want them in shades of red, blue or whatever!).
dpack

liseed oil based are ace .limewashes are good for walls inside or out and they are breathable which reduces damp problems .i dont know much about distempers .
gil

My experience of F&B's paints is that they are much more colourful on the wall than in the catalogue, and much much more so than on the website. I got pissed off trying out tester pots that turned out completely differently - far too dark / lurid in most cases. But the one I did use was good to work with, went on very nicely, good coverage / depth of colour ['String', on light-starved stairs and hallways].

Nothing to do with how eco-friendly they might or might not be, though...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home