Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
DorsetScott

Elderflower and Rose Petal Syrup

Slight experiment started last night, want to see how well this works.
Made a sugar syrup with a litre of water and 2kg caster sugar, 50g citric acid, juice and zest of 2 lemons, stripped 20 elderflower heads into the mix and a couple of big handfuls of Rosa Rugosa petals. Leaving it for 2-3 days (when it'll hopefully take on the colour from the petals) and will strain and taste.

If it works, I'll have something like a rose flavoured elderflower cordial. If it doesn't I'll have a sticky mess.
Jamanda

Re: Elderflower and Rose Petal Syrup

Slight experiment started last night, want to see how well this works.
Made a sugar syrup with a litre of water and 2kg caster sugar, 50g citric acid, juice and zest of 2 lemons, stripped 20 elderflower heads into the mix and a couple of big handfuls of Rosa Rugosa petals. Leaving it for 2-3 days (when it'll hopefully take on the colour from the petals) and will strain and taste.

If it works, I'll have something like a rose flavoured elderflower cordial. If it doesn't I'll have a sticky mess.

Sounds very nice!
tahir

Does sound nice. I made elderflower and wild strawberry once, that was nice
gz

has anyone any idea where the rose linky went to?

I've got Elderflowes and petals from Rose Comte de Chambourd, which are nicely perfumed if not a deep red...

Jamanda

Nice bit of thread necromancy there!
gz

I've juggled recipes a bit,referred to Minamoo's elderflower and ginger and Nicky colour it green's elderflower....
we'll see how it goes!!
Mistress Rose

Will be interested to hear the results.
gz

Awesome, even after only 24 hour's steeping, and with pink roses instead of red....next time.... Cool

diluted 50ml to a glassful..with NZ to celebrate!
gz

Query from a friend..could she use her Mock Orange/Philadelphus flowers instead of roses or elderflowers?
Mistress Rose

That looks good Gz. What does it taste like?
gz

elderflower plus a hint of rose Laughing ...I used 4 lemons instead of 3.5, as I was halving the recipe. Its probably a bit more lemony than intended by Minamoo!!

I think that if it was steeped for a week,not 24 hours, the flowers' flavour would come through even stronger,also had I had the Munstead Wood rose flowers that has a really heady perfume and deep red colour.

Unfortunately that rose had its first bud blown off in a gale this year and hasn't obliged with any more, yet!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home