Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

Endgrain flooring

I'm thinking of using locally grown coppiced chestnut for our floors, this might be either:

Cordwood
As I understand it this is basically wood used in the round with the bark stripped off, the spaces between the timbers are gfilled with a plaster of some kind.

End grain blocks
square/rectangular blocks of timber, laid so that the ends form the finished surface

Anyone got experience of or views on either?
Slim

I've only seen cordwood in walls, but I suppose it could work for a floor, it's pretty much the same as end grain blocks.

I think most cordwood is split because it will shrink and crack however, that may not give the desired look.
tahir

A little bit of splitting should be OK.
tahir

Having said that chestnut does tend to split. Hmmm...
MarkS

Don't you get the Green Building mag?

Article in the last issue showed a couple of different earth floors - including cordwood. Complete with instructions/ingredients list.
tahir

Yeah, got that, but the lack of other references to it (try googling it) make me think there's a reason why it's not too popular. Can't see any downside to endgrain blocks apart from splitting, in which case we should be able to discard any stuff that's really bad.
Slim

How big is the wood that you're going to mill the blocks out of?

Maybe you can get some setup to cure in the room, and see how many go off?
tahir

cpg03 wrote:
How big is the wood that you're going to mill the blocks out of?

Maybe you can get some setup to cure in the room, and see how many go off?

Don't know, I need to go and visit my local woodsman, and yes I should try some.
MarkS

there are lots of references to beaten/rammed earth(en) floors and it seems to me that cordwood etc are just earth floors with inset materials for appearance and/or improved durability in high traffic areas.
tahir

Ahh, of course they are. Thanks Mark
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home