Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Kanga

Energy Efficiency and Construction

I have my roof insulated but don't want cavity wall insulation. I've just had an insulation salesman at the door letting me know, in no uncertain terms that I'm selfish for not having CWI because of the energy efficiency. He told me that I am only one of 3 houses at this side of my road without CWI and that shortly I will be charged extra council tax if I haven't got it. My dad is no longer alive but was a builder and was always against CWI, saying it caused dampness. This chap at the door said that won't happen with the modern methods now used. He told me to look on the internet to read about the firm he represents but instead I Googled "Against Cavity Wall Insulation" and read "Housebuilders Update on CWI Nov.3rd 05" and "askjeff.co.uk" and now feel even more positive that I don't want it. I wondered what Downsizers think on this subject.
sean

Dunno. I've got 2' thick stone walls so I haven't looked into it. The bit about Council Tax sounds like cobblers though.
judith

I don't think CWI will cause dampness. It is conceivable that some forms might wick up dampness if there is a source already there, but that will be a symptom of the problem, not the cause.
Our house is mostly rubble-filled stone walls, with a newish extension - we had the cavity filled in the new part 5 years ago. We still have damp in the old house that remains to be sorted, but not a sign of it anywhere in the new bit.
vegplot

Re: Energy Efficiency and Construction

Kanga wrote:
I have my roof insulated but don't want cavity wall insulation. I've just had an insulation salesman at the door letting me know, in no uncertain terms that I'm selfish for not having CWI because of the energy efficiency.

Yes, you are Smile

Kanga wrote:

He told me that I am only one of 3 houses at this side of my road without CWI and that shortly I will be charged extra council tax if I haven't got it.

Better check with your your local authority. Sounds dubious to me.

Kanga wrote:
My dad is no longer alive but was a builder and was always against CWI, saying it caused dampness.

It's very unlikey to. However, it would depend in how your cavity wall is built and the insulation used. Damp problems can be caused by not having a suitable vapour barrier which allows warm moisture laden air to condense against a cold surface. You can offset this by ensuring adequate ventilation in areas which produce a lot of moisture such as the kitchen and bathroom. This is an area of debate but I don't think you have cause for concern as long as you have proper ventilation.
Kanga

Thanks for your reply, Vegplot. Will stay selfish a bit longer while I consider. Regarding the council tax aspect, I see that many councils are to reduce council tax bills by 100 for people with well insulated houses.
vegplot

Kanga wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Vegplot. Will stay selfish a bit longer while I consider. Regarding the council tax aspect, I see that many councils are to reduce council tax bills by 100 for people with well insulated houses.

Well that bodes well for me Smile
Treacodactyl

I wouldn't say you're selfish, just someone who likes to think things through.

When I've seen cavity wall insulation put into an existing house they drill loads of holes and depending on the wall material, drill type and carefulness of the operator large chunks of material can be broken off and left in the cavity bridging the gap. Whether this can lead to dampness I don't know but I can see how it might cause problems.
vegplot

Treacodactyl wrote:
I wouldn't say you're selfish, just someone who likes to think things through.

When I've seen cavity wall insulation put into an existing house they drill loads of holes and depending on the wall material, drill type and carefulness of the operator large chunks of material can be broken off and left in the cavity bridging the gap. Whether this can lead to dampness I don't know but I can see how it might cause problems.

It can do. It doesn't just happen when holes are drilled, new build suffers from this problem when excess mortar falls on the wall ties.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home