Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
cab

Energy efficient web design?

Not something I know a great deal about, but:
http://ecoiron.blogspot.com/2007/01/emergy-c-low-wattage-palette.html

What do you think?
dougal

There is indeed a tiny difference in energy consumption when displaying different coloured screens on a CRT monitor - one of those big old things.
The extent of the difference will depend on the screen - and the brightness setting. (Save energy, turn the brightness down!)

There is however only an infinitesimal difference in the power consumption of an LCD screen showing different colours.
And white requires the least power on an LCD with black the most power ...
... which is yet one more reason that 'screensavers' that were designed for CRTs are daft on LCDs.

So, nowadays, smile politely and keep walking...
cab

I see, that makes sense thanks. Does brightness of display on LCD screens (rather than colour choice?) make a difference?
dougal

cab wrote:
I see, that makes sense thanks. Does brightness of display on LCD screens (rather than colour choice?) make a difference?

Yes, it should.
Most of the power consumption of an LCD is for the backlight, typically a cold cathode fluorescent tube. Reducing its brightness should reduce the power drawn.
It does on laptop LCD designs and this knowledge is most use to laptop users. Turn your screen to brightest and you'll get less runtime from whatever charge your battery holds. Turn the brightness down and run for longer.

LED (and so very low power) backlighting is common for phones, not yet for bigger computer screens.
iris

Interesting!! I like the palette too. I would love to know what the mid-weight colour options are though....

As a web designer, I had thought about ways to market myself as an eco-friendly web designer but it's pretty limited Smile One needs a powerful machine, reasonably good sized screen, and electricity. I'll use this machine for as long as I can, the monitor is LCD and I have a green electricty supplier.
cab

Greenbranches, if you're looking for green web designer credentials, adding a note that you can work to a colour scheme that reduces energy utilisation on CRT monitors can't be a bad thing, even if the number of CRTs in use is falling all the time.
TimNeo

The difference would be the machine you were hosting on and the efficency of the webpage vs the server speed.

ie if you create a really bloated & server intensive page it'll make the server work harder and consume more electricity. The majority of sites you'll be writing for will be small (unless you're really good!) so won't need much clock speed. Get them together on a share hosting on something like a mini-itx box and you'll be minimalising your footprint in the server rack.

So efficently designed pages give less load and less electricity
sharing hosting and equipment means less electrcity and better use of what would usually on most servers be idle time.
Best of all, better on your pocket too...

To be honest the pallet is the least of your worries ;- )
Fee

fallscrape wrote:
To be honest the pallet is the least of your worries ;- )

Totally agree. There are quite a few green web hosts on the up at the moment, who's servers are solar-powered, among other things, but they're still pretty pricy.

I did think about trying to get at least my PC (and monitor) running on some form of renewable energy, must look into that again.
Fee

Laughing Just had a silly thought that would help both the energy usage and my general fitness (or lack of it)...how about an exercise bike rigged up to power a battery charger that then powers the PC...I have to cycle to get power for the PC!

So, what would I need? And how much cycling do we reckon I'd need to do to power my PC and monitor every day?

Hmm...is this feasible? Would I need to cycle an extra-ordinary amount every day just to get my PC to booting? Might have to look into this....
dpack

loads
charging a low voltage battery as a power souce (and using an inverter if required ) is possible but having used both purpose built for radio batteries and homemade from a car and a bike it is very hard work to get useful power for more than leds / phone /tunes/torch and radio batteries and other really light power useage stuff
dougal

Fee wrote:
Laughing Just had a silly thought that would help both the energy usage and my general fitness (or lack of it)...how about an exercise bike rigged up to power a battery charger that then powers the PC...I have to cycle to get power for the PC!

So, what would I need? And how much cycling do we reckon I'd need to do to power my PC and monitor every day?

Hmm...is this feasible? Would I need to cycle an extra-ordinary amount every day just to get my PC to booting? Might have to look into this....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question658.htm

So get a laptop (and at that, one that runs for many hours on its battery)... Very Happy
Fee

Excellent, thanks Dougal Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home