Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

Excellent example of a small business website

One of the printmakers I follow on Twitter has just launched her website.

http://www.kiranravilious.com

Very nicely done too.
Clever lady.

but she does need to get more products on there Smile

EV
pookie

That is lovely! and I agree, more pics Smile
Nick

I'd say it's a terrible name. Not memorable or obvious.
earthyvirgo

I'd say it's a terrible name. Not memorable or obvious.

Ravilious?
Nick, you heathen Wink

EV
welsh veg grower

Do you think the text is a bit small?

Very neat but didnt make me want to hang about and buy stuff, shame as the products she has on are nice.
earthyvirgo

Do you think the text is a bit small?

Very neat but didnt make me want to hang about and buy stuff, shame as the products she has on are nice.

I think as with anything tactile, you'd want to see it and touch it before buying. I'd say it was mainly acting as a shop window for her.

Yup, the text is too small for my liking too.

EV
earthyvirgo

@Nick.

Kiran's husband's grandfather was Eric Ravilious

EV
BadgerFace

Lovely. The 'spring reeds' design is really beautiful. love7 Nick

@Nick.

EV

Never heard of him, and wouldn't remember it if I was told it down the pub.
mochyn

Lovely stuff. I'm looking at sites atm so I can decide what to do with mine, so that's really useful. Perhaps the text is a bit small but the site is clean and clear. Mr O

It takes way........ too,,,,,,,,, long to download on dial-up for me to even be bothered to look at it. earthyvirgo

It takes way........ too,,,,,,,,, long to download on dial-up for me to even be bothered to look at it.

Good point, it was a bit slow, even on decent bandwidth. Might mention that to Kiran. It shouldn't be that slow ...lots of images tho', wonder if they've been optimised properly?

EV
vegplot

I managed to get one of the large images reduced to one third its original size without noticeable loss of quality. arvo

Those tea-towels would definitely make you want to dry the dishes though.

Really beautiful.
Paul Sill

Not bad, clean simple but i dont like the 2 seperate navigation bars, having one in the top right just doesnt work for me and the html doesnt validate but thats me just being picky! OtleyLad

Re: Excellent example of a small business website

Very nicely done too.
Clever lady.

EV

I love the clean, fresh look of it.

Text is a bit small though and you're right about more products.

40 for a single cushion cover is out of my reach though.
Is the linen fairtrade or organic?
OtleyLad

@Nick.

EV

I agree with nick
alice

@Nick.

EV

I agree with nick

That's because you're a bunch of philistines Laughing
alice

This is very similar
http://www.marramstudio.com/index.php
earthyvirgo

This is very similar
http://www.marramstudio.com/index.php

There are quite a few artists using botanical themes.
I think Angie Lewin was probably the first.
http://www.angielewin.co.uk/

She really is a master of her art.

Kiran's work is a bit different and not a pale copy which some of the Angie L lookalikes are I'm afraid. It's very difficult not to be influenced at times.

EV
earthyvirgo

@Nick.

EV

I agree with nick

He was one of the most important British artists/designers/printmakers in the 1930's.

Official war artist in World War II

EV
earthyvirgo

Re: Excellent example of a small business website

Very nicely done too.
Clever lady.

EV

I love the clean, fresh look of it.

Text is a bit small though and you're right about more products.

40 for a single cushion cover is out of my reach though.
Is the linen fairtrade or organic?

40 IS (edited : sounds like) a lot, but have you seen how she produces them?
The designs are all hand carved in lino (like my limited ed. prints), and she prints everything by hand.

I don't know if it's organic/fairtrade. I think she sources it from her country of birth, Singapore.

EV
BadgerFace

Sanderson even have a similar prints 'Dandelion Clocks' I would guess that is around 30-40 per metre? http://www.sanderson-uk.com/DesignDetails.aspx

I don't think 40 is a lot, it's not just a cushion cover - it's a litle bit of padded art Very Happy I know I would be very happy to receive one as a birthday gift (just in case the OH is reading this, make a change from wheel barrows!). Wink
mochyn

We've had many debates about pricing craft work, here, facebook, twitter: it's difficult. You have to find a price that gives you a living wage and yet is acceptable to the customer. Almost impossible, and the bit that usualy suffers is the first. Many craftworkers earn way below minimum wage. I'm talking about those of us who would like to make a living from our craft, not little old ladies who sell nylon layettes from Country Market stalls.

That being the case 40 is probably not extortionate!
OtleyLad

We've had many debates about pricing craft work, here, facebook, twitter: it's difficult. You have to find a price that gives you a living wage and yet is acceptable to the customer. Almost impossible, and the bit that usualy suffers is the first. Many craftworkers earn way below minimum wage. I'm talking about those of us who would like to make a living from our craft, not little old ladies who sell nylon layettes from Country Market stalls.

But the thing is, unless you're a collector of 'cushion art' how many of us can afford 160 for a set of 4 cushions (and then some for the filling)?
I'm a supporter of everyone getting paid good money for their work, but that doesn't mean everything anyone produces is good value.
earthyvirgo

But the thing is, unless you're a collector of 'cushion art' how many of us can afford 160 for a set of 4 cushions (and then some for the filling)?
I'm a supporter of everyone getting paid good money for their work, but that doesn't mean everything anyone produces is good value.

Grab yourself a back-copy of any 'housey' magazine. Proof that there are plenty of people out there who spend money like that on their normal furnishings, honestly!

Happen to have last Oct's House Beautiful on the table next to me. On the cover, wallpaper at 53.50 a roll, it's the norm in some circles.

EV
Nell Merionwen

I remember having a chat with a small buisness woman, she is now a ds'r. Fyberspates, Jenni. She really is lovely and her fibers/yarn are to die for.
She told me that she used to be in the keep it cheap camp and found her business was ticking along. She advised that once she put a respectable price on her products people realised they were paying for a good quality item and business did better for it.
I think that people realise they are getting good quality (rather than hobby quality) if they are asked for a reasonable price. People will pay for quality when it is there.
Very good advice in my opinion.
earthyvirgo

I remember having a chat with a small buisness woman, she is now a ds'r. Fyberspates, Jenni. She really is lovely and her fibers/yarn are to die for.
She told me that she used to be in the keep it cheap camp and found her business was ticking along. She advised that once she put a respectable price on her products people realised they were paying for a good quality item and business did better for it.
I think that people realise they are getting good quality (rather than hobby quality) if they are asked for a reasonable price. People will pay for quality when it is there.
Very good advice in my opinion.

I've found there are ceilings for different audiences and markets and to a degree, I select my work for the various galleries with that in mind.

It hasn't meant I have to produce work that breaks my heart to do, but I do need to be very, very careful not to overprice.

If you want to make a business out of doing the thing you love, you have to have your feet on the ground and recognise that.

EV
Handmade Lives

The rich are still rich and would not dream of buying a cushion for less I think it is exactly the right price. I agree I think its a great site and lovely pieces. I am sure she will do well Handmade Lives

Phew what a relief I have managed to resize my avatar It frightened me every time I posted Talk about in your face! Rolling Eyes Rob R

Re:

I've just tested the shopping cart on the new www.rosewoodfarms.co.uk shop & one of every item came out at 943.50 - all I need now is an order like that every week... earthyvirgo

The rich are still rich and would not dream of buying a cushion for less I think it is exactly the right price. I agree I think its a great site and lovely pieces. I am sure she will do well

I'm sure she'll get more orders than she can cope with.
That's another problem. What does a sole-trader do when they get several orders at once? ...apart from have a waiting list?

She's just had a stand at a London 'interiors' show too and from what I can tell from hints on her blog, she might have been spotted by a major High Street name.

EV
Nick

@Nick.

EV

I agree with nick

He was one of the most important British artists/designers/printmakers in the 1930's.

EV

That's lovely. Really lovely.

Question is, do you want me to remember the name of the site, or not? If I don't go there, I don't buy there.
earthyvirgo

@Nick.

EV

I agree with nick

EV

That's lovely. Really lovely.

Question is, do you want me to remember the name of the site, or not? If I don't go there, I don't buy there.

So, you'd prefer www.handprintedcushioncovers.co.uk/com?

I guess that's one way of looking at it but generally, an artist uses their name as their URL, as the work is as much about who they are, as the product itself.

I guess in my case, it's a hell of a lot simpler as my name is short and sweet and easy to remember.

I did consider other things but if you start using the product as your brand, rather than your name, it's pretty anonymous. And what if Kiran starts developing other products and avenues of work, then her www.handprintedcushioncovers.com becomes a bit of a burden.

Just a thought.

EV
Nick

She does not have an easily memorable name. The website address is not memorable. If artists use their name, and not something people not in the know can remember perhaps this is why they can't afford to leave their garrets? Wink

There is nothing wrong with a website having more than one name, of course, so that she can use kiranwossname.com and beautiful cushions.com and inowmakelovelyteacosies.com to all point to the same place, then you can remain stubbornly snobbish about your brand and actually attract customers who don't already know you (and they're the ones you want).
earthyvirgo

She does not have an easily memorable name. The website address is not memorable. If artists use their name, and not something people not in the know can remember perhaps this is why they can't afford to leave their garrets? Wink

There is nothing wrong with a website having more than one name, of course, so that she can use kiranwossname.com and beautiful cushions.com and inowmakelovelyteacosies.com to all point to the same place, then you can remain stubbornly snobbish about your brand and actually attract customers who don't already know you (and they're the ones you want).

So, for people who don't know me, you think that www.linolady.co.uk was a stroke of genius on my part? Wink

I registered it after overhearing someone saying "oh, isn't that the Lino Lady ...." after seeing me the North Wales Art Trail last year

EV
woodsprite

Sorry but yes! I'd remember linolady and I cannot easily recall your name.
Surely as your customers also refer to you as linolady, that says it all?
vegplot

Memorable URL's (at least in part so Bing/Google can work for you) work really well. I don't think the site meets that criteria very well. I read it just a moment ago but it's gone, it failed to make an imprint. Rob R

I read it just a moment ago but it's gone, it failed to make an imprint.

Unfortunately the only word association it has for me is ravioli.
Nick

Sorry but yes! I'd remember linolady and I cannot easily recall your name.
Surely as your customers also refer to you as linolady, that says it all?

Because I couldn't remember Karen raviolis name, I had to search here, and didn't realise I'd missed this.

Yes, I think linolady.com is brilliant. And it proves my point, and made at least one more customer able to find you.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home