Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
vegplot

Found new premises

By chance I came across a really nice shop/business premises in Bethesda High Street today. It would make a fantastic office space and is certainly much bigger than our current office. It's also on two floors the shop/office part is on the 1st floor at street level and the ground floor (also at ground level, the land falls away to the back to a car park) with masses of storage/workshop facilities (as the sign say Think Bike).

It was recently refurbished throughout and the rent is very good. I am seriously tempted but...

Bethesda isn't the prettiest of places. It's a bit rough around the edges and customer perception if we relocated from the business park probably wouldn't be positive.

It's within easy walking distance from home.

It would need new furniture and cost a couple of thousand to cosmetically refurbish.

I'm keeping my options open.
Cathryn

Hmm, I think you are right on the customer perception. If I didn't know you I would wonder if something was going wrong in the business. Do people actually visit your office often though?
earthyvirgo

Re: Found new premises

By chance I came across a really nice shop/business premises in Bethesda High Street today. It would make a fantastic office space and is certainly much bigger than our current office. It's also on two floors the shop/office part is on the 1st floor at street level and the ground floor (also at ground level, the land falls away to the back to a car park) with masses of storage/workshop facilities (as the sign say Think Bike).

Bike?
I think you've misspelled that - it's spelt
p-r-e-s-s

EV
Cathryn

Course, rent gets even cheaper if you (are forced to) share with another business. Smile
earthyvirgo

Hmm, I think you are right on the customer perception. If I didn't know you I would wonder if something was going wrong in the business. Do people actually visit your office often though?

Yes, they do.

It's the main (only) drawback as far as I can see but it's a big one.
One of the staff raised it as an issue too.

EV
vegplot

Perception would be key issue as we use use our offices on a regular basis to meet with clients. While the high st. premises is very nice and would look really nice with a little effort the local environment lets it down. On the other hand we could be doing our bit to smarten up the high street but possibly at cost. welsh veg grower

hmm, other than being able to walk to it from home what benefits would it bring? vegplot

hmm, other than being able to walk to it from home what benefits would it bring?

Room to expand and storage space but they're not critical at the moment. We're not after footfall as we don't deal with the public. Signage would raise visibility and local awareness although that might be more of a problem than a benefit.

Part of me says support the local community but the pragmatist in me has whispered something about a barge pole.
Calli

Location location location....

If you think of the huge business in renting out premium postcode locations for business addresses.

Image is important and reflects on the business.
T.G

Perception is down to you to change. Places often look rough around the edges because of lack of business not due to them. Maybe you moving there would be a positive move and overtime encourage others to follow suit.

The enlargement of useable space is a great positive, as is the layout being both floors are at ground level. Being able to walk to work would be a big plus in my eyes.

Would the premises be for both of you, as in, VP on one floor and EV on the other, would this give you more of a 'shop window' EV for your prints? (Sorry not sure if you have this already)

I would say if you're looking, you're part way out the door of the other premises, the fact you've found somewhere you've actually started to consider is another step out and talking about it openly to weigh up the pros and cons you've almost packed and boxed up the other site Wink

Oh, as a side note, don't bikes belong in bits in a garage or shed? Laughing
Rob R

It's all still North Wales, though... Laughing
earthyvirgo

It's all still North Wales, though... Laughing

It's not the backwater people seem to think it is Sad

We're an hour and a bit (on totally clear roads, with a tail wind) from Manchester and L'pool.

EV
Rob R

I didn't mean that it was a backwater, just the wrong side of the Pennines Smile vegplot

We're an hour and a bit (on totally clear roads, with a tail wind) from Manchester and L'pool.

EV

Not far enough away.
toggle

i've seen elsewhere a very, very negative reaction to a buisness renting out a shopfront type location in what was seen as a run down area. however, if you think your customers would appreciate the 'becoming part of a vibrant local community' line, then it might be a possibility. vegplot

i've seen elsewhere a very, very negative reaction to a buisness renting out a shopfront type location in what was seen as a run down area. however, if you think your customers would appreciate the 'becoming part of a vibrant local community' line, then it might be a possibility.

I'm going to have another look around today.

We have the option of operating out of the current building using it for meetings, registered business address, and a drop for post while having the working office elsewhere. The area phone codes are the same and both phone numbers would start with a 6.
RichardW

Will the reduced rent & rates cover paying for hiring plush meeting space when needed?

What about when you move home?

How secure / long is the lease?

Will the running costs for heating, security ect eat up the rent savings?
vegplot

Will the reduced rent & rates cover paying for hiring plush meeting space when needed?

What about when you move home?

How secure / long is the lease?

Will the running costs for heating, security ect eat up the rent savings?

It's not going to happen, at least not with the current business. The financials work out just fine after taking everything into consideration but customer perception was, and always has been, the deciding factor.
Nick

Is there a Regus near you when you need one? Nick

Eta. No. vegplot

Is there a Regus near you when you need one?

No, at least not close enough.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home