Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
JB

Freezer in the garage or freezer in the house?

Which is better?

Assuming that it's not a freezer which would be tempermental about being in the lower ambient temperature of a garage rather than the house. Is it better to have the freezer in the garage or in the house. In the house presumably it would have to work harder to maintain a higher temperature difference but the waste heat from the freezer would contribute to heating the house whereas in the garage it would be true waste heat.

Of course the whole question is academic really as I'm going to move the freezer indoors because it's a pain in the metaphoricals to have to go to the garage every time Mrs JB wants ice in her G&T.
Anders

"Assuming that it's not a freezer which would be tempermental about being in the lower ambient temperature ..."

What kind of freezers would have problems working at low ambient temperatures please
JB

From a discussion some while back ...

dougal wrote:
As previously discussed, freezers with modern but basic non-CFC refrigerants can potentially be damaged by use in cold surroundings.
Its something to check in the instructions *BEFORE* buying a new freezer if you plan to put it in a shed/garage/barn/whatever.
Nothing you can do if you only check the manual and discover this AFTER you've bought it...

Seems counter intuitive I know but that seems to be the case.
contadina

I'd quite like an answer to this, as we suffer from it being to hot in the summer fridges, even energy efficient ones, only last a couple or years as their motors have to work overtime. Ours is less than two years old and is already struggling, so we are seriously considering buying a chest freezer when it does and keep it in our trullo (thick thermal walls built to provide constant heat) and just put perishables in a freezer bag/box with ice blocks each day.
Fee

We went for keeping ours in the house in the end.
Rob R

Not having a house, mine is in the garage, before that it was in a shed.
mochyn

Our 3 freezers live in the wash house (joined to the house, but outside it, corrugated roof, wooden walls with holes) and they don't seem to have any problem. The oldest is 5.5 years old and they're all A rated. They're out there because the house is very small! It would be much more convenient to have them indoors, but there's no space.
Nanny

mochyn wrote:
Our 3 freezers live in the wash house (joined to the house, but outside it, corrugated roof, wooden walls with holes) and they don't seem to have any problem. The oldest is 5.5 years old and they're all A rated. They're out there because the house is very small! It would be much more convenient to have them indoors, but there's no space.

same here mochyn

one in the office and one in the stone barn

both seem to do ok...we want to move one into the hobbit house round the back for easier access

love to have them in the house but ....where?
gil

Freezers are inside the house in the pantry, which is an unheated room.
Shane

contadina wrote:
I'd quite like an answer to this, as we suffer from it being to hot in the summer fridges, even energy efficient ones, only last a couple or years as their motors have to work overtime. Ours is less than two years old and is already struggling, so we are seriously considering buying a chest freezer when it does and keep it in our trullo (thick thermal walls built to provide constant heat) and just put perishables in a freezer bag/box with ice blocks each day.

You might find that the actual problem is that you're getting liquid in the compressor during the colder months if your appliances are kept in an outbuilding, which will knacker the compressor and mean that it has to work harder during the summer.

There's a thread somewhere discussing this - I'll see if I can dig it out...
Shane

Ah - thread wasn't on this site. Here it is.
dougal

Shane wrote:
There's a thread somewhere discussing this - I'll see if I can dig it out...

It was one of the (slightly off topic) things discussed here
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=25692
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home