Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Nick

Frosts.

Do we reckon we’re past the last ones? Have beans to plant out but it says to wait until after frosts. They’re getting bigger than the pots they’re in.
tahir

Last frost I’ve noted here was may 26th a few years ago, but you’re way more sheltered than us. Have you had frost this week? We’ve had two pretty frosty nights
dpack

we only had 3 frosts all winter this year.

i spose it depends on microclimate as well as the general weather patterns.

most lowland uk is frost free by may but weather can be "unusual"

with delicates i tend to err on the side of caution, i have lost too many carefully nurtured seedlings.

a extra week or two confined to pots is ok if you feed them and make sure they have enough moisture, better than grey mush or a stunted blue tomato plant
Shan

I generally wait until May and have some fleece ready in case needed.
Nick

Ta. I’ll leave them to die in the greenhouse rather than killing them in the beds.
dpack

Laughing
Shan

Ta. I’ll leave them to die in the greenhouse rather than killing them in the beds.

Pillock. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Nick

Harsh.

24 courgette plants is enough, right?

And about 120 beans.
Shan

Oh no, you need at least double that.... :lol:Get planting... let us know how it all turns out....
Nick

I know where you live, remember?
Shan

I think you should worry more about the fact that I know where YOU live. Laughing
buzzy

One thing to be certain of, I think. As soon as somebody assures you that all risk of frost has passed, and you put your tender plants out, we will have one! Laughing

Henry
dpack

One thing to be certain of, I think. As soon as somebody assures you that all risk of frost has passed, and you put your tender plants out, we will have one! Laughing

Henry

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Shan

Henry
Tell Nick to go for it. Laughing
Mistress Rose

Perhaps the best idea is to put the plants out at the end of April and have something to put over a cloche frame or if all else fails, pea sticks, if there is a frost warning. Ideal is fleece over cloche frames, but anything like a dust sheet, old sheet or blanket, old curtains will do at a pinch.

Nick can put his 48 courgettes out and let them turn to mush if he likes; he always does what he wants anyway.
wellington womble

I think you should worry more about the fact that I know where YOU live. Laughing

You’ll never find him under all those courgettes!

Might I suggest bigger pots? It’ll do them good. Also, if they are climbing beans, bigger pots and and stick. Or they weave themselves into a solid mat and are a bigger to untangle and plant out. Ask how I know!
dpack

my cucumber, singular, see slugs in the seed compost, is on an upstairs widow sill. if it does seem like a frost i can move it back inside.

not so easy with a main crop of things
Mistress Rose

I have 2 courgettes and 2 squashes up, so 1 of each will go into the greenhouse when they are big enough and when the greenhouse has been prepared. Before they can I need to remover the bean sticks and weed the bed. Shan

Might I suggest bigger pots? It’ll do them good. Also, if they are climbing beans, bigger pots and and stick. Or they weave themselves into a solid mat and are a bigger to untangle and plant out. Ask how I know!

I'll look for the hairy courgette with a bad attitude. Laughing
dpack

i lost half a dozen peas to mice but i still have about ten that are post mouse dinner, the nastursiums are doing ok and the one cucumber is hardening off on a upper window sill.

the onions, eat the thinnings as spring onions and let some get to shallot size seems to work in fishboxes(or a raised bed)
use the interspaces for short growth stuff and replant eaten ones with the next things

tis amazing how much can be crammed together if the timings and plant choices are right
Nick

I'll look for the hairy courgette with a bad attitude. Laughing

I’ve no other pots. I don’t garden. Smile

Also, Shan? Cheeky mare.
Shan

Laughing Mistress Rose

I planted out the first few peas yesterday and resowed, so hope these do better. I am not getting on well with this potting compost, so will not buy it again. Have now cleared all but the remains of the chard out of another bed, but am trying to keep the chard going as long as possible. My onion sets are mainly up now, so hoping for a good crop again this year. gz

Daughter is using the fleece compost very successfully, if that is any help Smile dpack

wolf under fur felts when wetted, very easy

if the birds don't have it i will see if it repels slugs better than the control
tahir

frost here last night Mistress Rose

Not sure we had frost, but it got pretty cold. Brought the courgette plants in for the night. Nick

Barely chilly here. Anyway, beans went out. Plenty remain in the greenhouse too tho so If I lose some I’ll cope. They’re in raised beds made of hay bales so actually fairly sheltered anyway ( soil is below the edge of the wall).

Imagine we’ll get a foot of snow now.
Shan

No frost here overnight and none predicted. Courgettes and some pumpkins went out yesterday. The rest are being planted out today. All looking fine this morning. I'll cover them in fleece if necessary. wellington womble

I’ve put some of the sweetcorn out and covered with fleece. It doesn’t really like hanging around in pots and I’ll sow more anyway. dpack

brave, in 60 yrs i have managed 5 ears of baby corn and lots of dead sticks etc and after several tries now know the way to get nice corn is to go the correct market stall

apart from no talent at it i do not know why, other folk using the same seed and soils have managed Rolling Eyes

i could grow broad beans on mars* , but corn will always be beyond my meagre gardening talents:lol:

*with a bit of help from some pv kit, led lamps and a sunshade to re adjust the day lengths or a bit of neat plant breeding to adjust them to the longer cycle
Nick

They’d still be too close. Hateful things. Bebo

frost here last night

And here. Luckily decided to give it another week before planting the runners out. Been taking them out of the polytunnel in trays every day to help harden them off a bit.
Slim

We woke up to a light snowfall... Rolling Eyes dpack

Shocked

we are well into spring and a bit chilly today is not coat weather again.

the hardy have got to the shorts stage and 2 of the sparrows just introduced their four fledglings even if it is a bit cloudy and now drizzly today
Mistress Rose

We seem to be varying between jacket and tee shirt weather. It is cooler again now, so may go into thicker trousers as I may be late this evening. it certainly wasn't too warm here yesterday; don't think it got above 10 deg C, although of course too warm for snow.

I don't seem to be having a lot of luck with my seeds this year. Not too happy with the compost. I may resort to putting sweetcorn and beans directly into the beds and hope the mice don't get too many of them.
Shan

What compost did you use (so I know to avoid it in the future). Wink Slim

If hand seeding you can presoak your seeds to speed up their germination and reduce the amount of time for critters to get at them wellington womble

I germinate in pots in the spare room. They won’t grow any more there, so they may as well take their chances outside. Nothing ventured..... Mistress Rose

I will look up the name and let you know. It is a multipurpose compost, but the seeds seem to be prone to going mouldy in it. Shan

I use a little sprinkling of vermiculite or perlite, depending on what you can get on the surface of the soil over my seedlings to prevent mould. Seems to work. I also get things going in a heated propagator. It massively improves germination, especially with peppers, chillis and aubergines. wellington womble

I use the heated propagator whenever possible. It speeds up germination no end, even in things that don't 'need' it in our climate. For everything else, I germinate in the spare room, which I keep nice and warm in the spring (the rest of the year it is not heated unless someone is staying over. This has happened twice in the year that we have lived here.) I put lettuce in it for lack of space the other day, and it was up in 12 hours.

I am thinking of ripping out the carpet, spending a few hundred pounds on growlights and putting in a sink to turn it into a grow room. It'd be cheaper than a conservatory, arguably better use of resources, as the footprint would be smaller if I could stack plants and its more energy efficient to light with LEDs than heat a glassed space. (My garden is small, very paved, designed brilliantly for two adults who want to sit out and drink wine and not weed very much, and as a result, largely full of trampoline!)
Shan

When the police go swooping on your house and discover a grow room full of lettuce, I think they will be mightily disappointed. Laughing wellington womble

When the police go swooping on your house and discover a grow room full of lettuce, I think they will be mightily disappointed. Laughing

I can bury then in courgettes. No-one will ever find them! Laughing
Shan

Laughing dpack

Laughing

remember to include ventilation and get some decent sunglasses Wink
Slim

Second the ventilation comment.
Warm most growing air will migrate in the house, cool, and moisture will condense out into the rest of the building
dpack

a kitchen fan , rated for continuos use can be had for less than £100, ducting tube is cheap add a few clips etc and a suitable hole to outside

lettuce probably do not need an activated carbon filter rig so even a small fan should do a domestic room

if lettuce do need a filter(spray booth kit is good value)a decent 6" fan should do the job against the back pressure so long as the ducting is short and tidy.

either way, getting the transpiration water out of the premises is required for plants, house and persons to stay healthy.

i am sans luminaire at the mo but the newish led stuff looks ace
go for decent kit, the amateur stuff is carp

water and leccy is a hns nightmare, get it right

mylar is good
dpack

ps re ventilation you might need a couple of circulation fans to stir the air about as well as extraction

if the incoming air is from the house the extra co2 is ok but clean outside air from an in vent is pretty good

one can go the full high tech mars mission thing but gaffer tape etc along with very safe and simple design works pretty well
wellington womble

Um, I’ve been leaving the window open an inch.

I will discuss it with the plumber. I’m having the washing machine plumbed in there, and a sink for laundry. An extractor wouldn’t be a bad idea, as I dry the laundry in there, too.
Slim

Welp... Snowing again Nick

Welp... Snowing again

I don’t think we’ll have snow again til winter but arctic weather is heading this way. Potential frosts.
dpack

Shocked

i was working on my "pete marsh" style permatan
Mistress Rose

We are threatened with frost or near frost over the next couple of nights, which is very late for us, so some of my seedlings will have to come indoors for a couple of nights. Luckily I haven't got round to planting out yet as I don't have any fleece. Shan

I have fleece. dpack

i have bubble wrap but hope to not need it Mistress Rose

In fact the major problem this morning is the wind. It is gusting and north easterly, so have given up any idea of work as it is too dangerous with the risk of falling trees and branches. Thinking about it, as it is only going to be a light frost, I could use an old sheet just overnight as I have plenty of metal hoops for netting. Shan

It's quite a chilly wind. tahir

Felt like the roof was going to blow off this morning. Shan

Very loud... even drowned out the sound of the birds. At one point, I actually thought it was raining. gz

We had a light frost here last night..affected neighbour's tatties dpack

york has a dome?, all was fairly calm and chilly but nowhere near frost Shan

Had a frost - quite pleased I strategically arranged the fleece last night. wellington womble

I arranged fleece and thrown Earth on everything else and beat a sharp retreat on Monday. The allotment was FREEZING. I am not going anywhere near it again until the weather remembers it is May, and not November. Even if I do have to paint, with help, in the meantime! dpack

tis odd how warm this is compared to many places

15 miles east can be perhaps 5 c lower in a cold snap

whenever i go over to west yorks i dress for 10 c less and far wetter/windier

the romans were not daft, there are other places as strategically advantaged for a northern capital city but this one has the gentlest weather
Mistress Rose

The wind had come up again yesterday, so it wasn't that warm in the woods. I know what you mean about temperature Dpack; even a couple of miles from us the growing season is a bit longer, and we had a good 2 weeks longer on the coastal plain than we do in the hills. tahir

Had a couple of frosty nights here. Walnuts'll be regretting it, don't think we'll have nuts this year. Figs and mulberries will also be knocked back. gz

Yet another frosty night here...so clear.
Small plants in the polytunnel being nipped despite protection. Most seem to be surviving well enough. The small brassicas are not happy though, looks like I will have to do another sowing of them.
Nick

Still out in the garden in a T shirt. Chilly, but nowhere near that kind of temperature, even first thing. We're sheltered by a lot of trees, and in the sun, it's positively pleasant. dpack

between 4 and 6 this morning it was minus1 C at the youth hostel 400m away but not frosty here, chilly but not chilly enough to snuff my cucumber Cool

the yard tends to be 4c above the youth hostel weather station in overnight dips as the walls etc are a pretty good heat battery.
they are similar in a prolonged cold snap.
tahir

We're sheltered by a lot of trees, and in the sun, it's positively pleasant.

Obviously v sunny here but at the bottom of a hill so cold air gathers, and it's much more exposed here than your place. Also (v sunny+frosted plant)= mush
Shan

We have had frost very night this week. Thank goodness for the fleece. Slim

Last night was the last frost in the forecast, so hopefully our spring can start progressing. Still no leaves on the trees, but lawn is greening up.
Brassicas, spinach, cilantro and peas (& garlic) have all been ignoring these frosts. More damage coming from the cat walking on top of row cover that I removed today.
Only some plants were covered though they didn't need it.
Mistress Rose

Walls do make a good heat sink. At our first house we could dry washing on the line in about 1hour because of reflected heat from the wall of the house.

It has been cold here, but if we had a frost, it wasn't bad. Tahir, frost hollows are difficult if you have delicate plants and trees. In spite of the cold wind, the quince seems to have set a good amount of fruit, so hoping for a good crop this year.

My cousin in Canada is also lamenting spring being late Slim. I think she is envying the 'snow birds' that go to Florida for the winter, although this year I don't think they have been allowed back.
Shan

Last night was the last frost in the forecast, so hopefully our spring can start progressing. Still no leaves on the trees, but lawn is greening up.
Brassicas, spinach, cilantro and peas (& garlic) have all been ignoring these frosts. More damage coming from the cat walking on top of row cover that I removed today.
Only some plants were covered though they didn't need it.

I planted some Sugar-snap peas and didn't bother covering them and they don't seem to have minded the frosts at all.
dpack

peas are quite robust

some stuff like tomatoes might not die of moderate cold but they never thrive after it.
Bebo

Must have got a bit nippy overnight here last night. The squashes that I planted out last weekend are looking very sorry for themselves. The runner beans seem to have held up well, so it couldn't have got that cold. Slim

Walls do make a good heat sink. At our first house we could dry washing on the line in about 1hour because of reflected heat from the wall of the house.

It has been cold here, but if we had a frost, it wasn't bad. Tahir, frost hollows are difficult if you have delicate plants and trees. In spite of the cold wind, the quince seems to have set a good amount of fruit, so hoping for a good crop this year.

My cousin in Canada is also lamenting spring being late Slim. I think she is envying the 'snow birds' that go to Florida for the winter, although this year I don't think they have been allowed back.

This doesn't seem all that late to me actually! Last year was later.
Where I'm from originally the safe planting out date is the last weekend of May, and used to be recommended to wait until June

I've just transplanted out some Tom Thumb popcorn, but most of my other stuff will wait for warmer nights (and for me to get garden prepared - it was woods this winter!)
Mistress Rose

If you have gone from woods to some semblance of garden already you are doing well. We usually reckon the end of April for planting out, but we are quite a long way south. My one remaining squash and courgette plant are indoors again at the moment, and my beans haven't made it outside yet. I think they can go out this weekend and be planted out next week.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home