Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
hedgehogpie

Fungi pics

Here's some fungi we found today - I have some 'definite' and some 'tentative' id's for these. I'd be interested to see what you make of them.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

All of these were growing in and around mixed park/woodland on underlying chalk with a fine silty soil above (beneath the leaf litter).

If you want to know dimensions quote the number and I'll give more info but most have something in the pic to give a sense of scale. Have fun! Very Happy
gregreeve

Easy one first

I get the easy one first

No 1 - Honey Fungus - found some today but at dog-pee height on a busy path so no good (shame Sad )

No 5 - Porcelein Fungus?

No 13 - need to know the trees they were growing on

Greg
hedgehogpie

No. 13's a toughie, as I couldn't identify the tree for sure either - too far gone & even squinting at the pic I'm not sure of the bark.

Would it help to know that it was in a hazel coppiced woodland with a mix of larger trees scattered about?
cab

Whats 10? Is that a volva I see or not?
hedgehogpie

10's growing direct out of an old branch. I didn't think it had a volva, but here's a bigger pic for you to judge for yourself:

Actual size about 2" round, colour a sort of salmony pink (not really showing in the pic thanks to flash Rolling Eyes ) with a lovely domed cap
Zarza

Great pictures !!! thumbleft

I used the first one for the Edible Mushroom Gallery.
hedgehogpie

Thanks Very Happy
jp

3: A Lacquered Bracket (Ganoderma lucidum)...?
doctoral

jp wrote:
3: A Lacquered Bracket (Ganoderma lucidum)...?

I think so - a good example too. Smile
hedgehogpie

Pretty isn't it? There were three of them but that was the nicest.
hedgehogpie

Here's what I have for them & you can pick it apart and agree/disagree at your leisure:

(E)=edible
(I)=inedible

1. Armillaria mellea - Honey Fungus (E)

2. This one's a bit of a guess, because it's so far gone - but I'm considering Coprinus atramentarius - Common Ink Cap (E)

3.Ganoderma resinaceum - Lacquered Bracket (I)

4.Coriolus versicolor - Turkey Tail (I)

5.Coprinus leiocephalus - (An Ink Cap with no common name) (I)

6. Flammulina velutipes - Velvet Shank (bit of a guess here) (E)

7.Lepista Flaccida - (E) or possibly a Lactarius of some sort (milk Cap) (Both total guesses, & the nearest I can get.)

8. Lycoperdon perlatum - Common Puffball (E - when young & white fleshed)

9.Pleurotus lignatilis - No common name (I)

10.Rhodotus palmatus - No common name (I)

11.No idea at all! I had thought it was an orangepeel fungus, but it had gills.

12.Best guess but by no means sure: Tricholoma Scalpturatum (E) - No common name.

13.Panellus serotinus - Olive Oysterling (E)
(I'm not completely sure about this one as it's an umcommon fungi, but the characteristics are a very good fit)
doctoral

Surprised No.2 - edible, but don't wash it down with anything alcoholic - not that you would eat them looking like that anyway.
cab

Can't see the underside of 7, but are you sure it isn't a lyophyllum?
cab

Oh, and the common ink caps... Really? Were they inky as such? The stems look very wrong for common ink cap. How big was that one?
hedgehogpie

cab wrote:
Can't see the underside of 7, but are you sure it isn't a lyophyllum?

Nope, I'm not. Laughing

As you know, I don't often casually uproot stuff unless I can think of a really good reason for doing so, and this was just a practice session. I usually go back for a second pass if something's really interesting. Smile

Not sure about the Ink Caps either, & no that doesn't feel like a right id - so call it a sloppy guess. Size, caps about 2" max. Not 'inky' as such, stems thin and fiberous, look hollow, approx 3" long or perhaps a little more. You'd think it was distinctive but I'm blowed if I can find it in any of my books (fungi blindness! Laughing ).

All opinions welcome, it can only help me to learn more.
wildfoodie

3 glistening ink cap?
9 I think this might be pleurotus dryinus - a bigger speciment than rogers mushrooms website. Like an edible pleurotus but with a more scaly cap - fibrillose I think is the term. not edible...
8 common earth ball?
doctoral

Cool No. 2 could be coprinus micaceus (Glistening Ink Cap) - I have just had a look on Rogers ... http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5856.asp
Note: they are described as being both 'Poisonous/Suspect' and 'Said to be edible' on the same page - I wouldn't eat them, but hey, each to his own ...
hedgehogpie

I'll take Glistening Ink Cap for No. 2 - Jordan's has it down as edible too, but in view of your post I think I'll view it as 'suspect'.

I'm happy with the common puffball for No. 8, I don't think it's an earthball myself.

No. 9, I considered Pleurotus dryinus but Jordan's has it down as uncommon (and inedible, whereas Roger's says edible and good - confused??) also I wasn't happy with the colour which is shown as more creamy yellow. This one's very white as you can see, and I didn't see any scales on the cap either.

No. 11 - Cantharellus cibarius? You might think it an obvious choice, but I've never actually seen one in the flesh and it was far more orange than I thought they were so I didn't seriously consider it at the time - plus it's slap bang in the middle of a lawn, again not what I might have expected so you'll probably think I'm daft for not thinking of it. Opinions please?
cab

I've seen glistening ink caps hundreds of times... doesn't look right for that, unless a frost just made it wilt or something.
doctoral

hedgehogpie wrote:
I'll take Glistening Ink Cap for No. 2 - Jordan's has it down as edible too, but in view of your post I think I'll view it as 'suspect'.

I'm happy with the common puffball for No. 8, I don't think it's an earthball myself.

No. 9, I considered Pleurotus dryinus but Jordan's has it down as uncommon (and inedible, whereas Roger's says edible and good - confused??) also I wasn't happy with the colour which is shown as more creamy yellow. This one's very white as you can see, and I didn't see any scales on the cap either.

No. 11 - Cantharellus cibarius? You might think it an obvious choice, but I've never actually seen one in the flesh and it was far more orange than I thought they were so I didn't seriously consider it at the time - plus it's slap bang in the middle of a lawn, again not what I might have expected so you'll probably think I'm daft for not thinking of it. Opinions please?

Constantly confused by some websites ... Shocked
hedgehogpie

Any suggestions then Cab?

I'll post a few more in a while for you to ponder. Smile
Zarza

Quote:

I can't tell about any other mushrooms, but I've seen hundreds of chanterelles, and No. 11 is NOT a chanterelle.
No. 11 is shining. Chanterelles don't shine even when wet.
No. 11 is dark orange. Chanterelles are yellowish or pale orange.
No. 11 is on grass. So far, I haven't seen any chanterelle growing on grass, but this is maybe just me.

Other than that, the shape is very similar.
cab

hedgehogpie wrote:
Any suggestions then Cab?

I'll post a few more in a while for you to ponder. Smile

Errm... No Laughing

I'll have another look and think later.
hedgehogpie

Quote:
[quote="Zarza"]
Quote:

I can't tell about any other mushrooms, but I've seen hundreds of chanterelles, and No. 11 is NOT a chanterelle.
No. 11 is shining. Chanterelles don't shine even when wet.
No. 11 is dark orange. Chanterelles are yellowish or pale orange.
No. 11 is on grass. So far, I haven't seen any chanterelle growing on grass, but this is maybe just me.Other than that, the shape is very similar.

Thanks zarza. I didn't think it was, but then going over them again & looking at different reference pics made me unsure of my initial conviction & as I say, I've never actually seen one in the flesh yet (how sad is that?? Laughing Laughing ).
hedgehogpie

Here's some more to keep you busy Laughing
For scale, that's an acorn cup behind number 3. Tiny huh? Shocked

Another tiny one - number 8 is less than 2cms high.

Sorry the cap's out of focus, but I wanted to show the cracking.
My personal favourite. No idea what it is, but it's chuffin' magnificent! Laughing
Zarza

From your second gallery:

No. 6
Sulphur Tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare)
There are lots of them, but hold on, they are poisonous.

No. 11
It looks like a young Shaggy Parasol (Macrolepiota rhacoides). This mushroom rules. It's so tasty, specially in batter.
jp

No 15 - an Amanita of some sort, but which one is not easy to tell from the photo. If I was to guess I would say A rubescens (The Blusher), A excelsa or A pantherina. In any case, if its an Amanita then eating it is not conducive good health & long life in my view Shocked
hedgehogpie

6: Yup. Sulphur Tuft. And I too love the tasty Shaggy Parasol (got some good recipes for them too Very Happy )

15: A young Magpie Ink Cap. Not edible either, but then I'm not too fixated on only looking at edible species.
doctoral

No. 1 is 'candle-snuff fungus' - not very edible.
doctoral

5 looks like a deceiver - 17 like an amethyst deceiver ...
hedgehogpie

Thanks, that's what I have them as also. Does anyone have any idea about no. 18 though? It's about 8" in diameter and slightly less than 4" tall.

I'm also sure that no.12 is an aged beefsteak fungus, would you agree?
Zarza

Quote:
And I too love the tasty Shaggy Parasol (got some good recipes for them too )

Share them. I'm a fan of the Shaggy Parasol. Post at the Recipes section or PM me, I'm waiting anxiously. blob8
hedgehogpie

Laughing Probably not all that diferent from what you'd already do, but hey, you asked... Laughing

(This is cut and pasted from elsewhere so ignore any references to 'yesterday' it was more like a week or two ago)

Quite unexpectedly we came across these two lovely fresh shaggy parasols yesterday. Since it's so late in the season this was a lovely surprise and I wanted to do something a bit more creative than soup and settled on parasols in a light crispy tempura style batter, served with a dipping sauce.

Clean the parasols by brushing lightly over the cap (don't wash unless absolutely necessary) then twist the stalks free and discard. Slice the caps
into strips or cubes handling carefully as the gills are quite delicate.

Then make up your batter mix - I devised this one:
Batter mix
100g plain flour
100g cornflour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 egg, beaten
half tsp sugar
half tsp salt
150ml ice cold water

Sift the two flours together, over the sliced parasol mushroom to coat it. Make sure that the pieces are evenly covered.

Remove the pieces of the mushroom from the flour mix. Add the salt, cream of tartar and sugar and gently mix all into the beaten egg.

As it thickens, add the water to make a batter mix with the consistency of single cream.

Liberally coat the parasol slices in batter, making sure they are completely covered.

Heat the oil until just smoking, and using a slotted spoon take each parasol slice and place it in the batter. Do them in small batches, cooking till a light golden brown and allowing each batch to drain after cooking.

Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice - I like spicy, garlicky stuff, so made one with these:

Dipping sauce
1" fresh ginger root
half a fresh red chilli
3 cloves of garlic
tbsp balsamic vinegar
tbsp cider vinegar
tbsp clear honey
couple of dashes of tabasco (optional)

Peel and finely chop the ginger.

Crush the whole garlic cloves under the side of a heavy cooks knife, then peel and chop finely. Place both in a pestle and mortar and pound to a paste.

De-seed the chilli, and thinly slice - then chop finely.

Stir the two vinegars and the honey into the garlic/ginger paste, then sprinkle in the finely chopped chilli.

Check for taste and add some tabasco if you like it.
Serve with tempura veggies or mushrooms.

Delicious!

The batter comes up nice and crispy and not too heavy and doesn't hold too much much oil. The parasols have a nice subtle taste, so if you preferred you could have a sauce with a little less 'ooomph' than mine.

A nice veggie feast for one, or a starter for two to share.

Found another crop of these, so today's recipe is shaggy parasol in cream sauce. No quantities as such - it's all done by eye and depends on how many you forage!

3 Shaggy parasol caps, cut into rough cubes
Generous knob of butter
1 clove garlic, crushed or chopped finely
Single cream (enough to make a good covering sauce)
Arrowroot to thicken

Clean your parasol caps by lightly brushing away any debris, then chop into rough cubes.

Put the butter into a pan and melt over a low heat.

Add the garlic and cook gently for a minute or so.

Add the chopped parasols, stir and cook until they are visibly soft and a little reduced.

Pour in enough single cream to make a good covering sauce.

Add approx. 1 tsp of arrowroot to thicken the cream sauce. Stir.

Prepare 2 slices of wholemeal toast & butter them lightly.

Place the toast slices on a serving plate and pour the parasol cream mixture over them.

Enjoy.
hedgehogpie

Oops, sorry, posted them here...... Ah well, guess they can be moved if need be. In the meantime, somebody shoot me Rolling Eyes
Zarza

Hedgehogpie,

Bravo, bravisimo. notworthy notworthy notworthy

I love your spicy deeping sauce. I'm going to make it.
But I'll have to wait until next year. Right now, while I'm typing in, it's snowing!!! santa

Your second recipe is nice for breakfast. I don't use cream (I hate it). Instead, I use skimmed milk and mashed potatoes to thick it a bit. It works wonders.

Thanks for sharing Smile
hedgehogpie

You are most kind Laughing
jp

Looking at number 4 again, I wonder if it is Clitocybe nebularis - Clouded agaric. Not easy to tell from the photo, but Bingo & I found several yesterday, & I've seen loads more elsewhere this autumn. Pity they are meant to cause gastric upset as they look quite nice.
doctoral

jp wrote:
Looking at number 4 again, I wonder if it is Clitocybe nebularis - Clouded agaric. Not easy to tell from the photo, but Bingo & I found several yesterday, & I've seen loads more elsewhere this autumn. Pity they are meant to cause gastric upset as they look quite nice.

I have a feeling that 4 and 14 are the same, although 14 is a lot older. If it is a clouded agaric, I think they have a strange inedible smell - if anyone wants, I can show them where they can get thousands in a morning ... puke_r
doctoral

The dipping sauce sounds excellent - I add lime juice to mine which is a bit similar to this (I add rice vinegar instead of balsamic and palm sugar instead of honey) - I will try this one later with some tempura sweet green peppers, my favourite addition to tempura shrooms. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home