Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
SheepShed

Gasifying wood boilers

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience of wood boilers (not stoves), something like the Vigas or Atmos boilers ?
We are investigating the idea of replacing our existing LPG hot water and central heating boiler with one of these. They can supposedly burn round wood and split logs rather than pellets or chips and are apparently eligible for a grant under the Low Carbon Buildings Programme.
Any thoughts welcome.
RichardW

Biggest thought is non grant purchase & instal is cheaper than grant funded works after the grant.

Oh & you need an accumilator too.

Justme
SheepShed

You mean using a certified installer costs so much more than DIY plus friendly plumber that it outweighs the value of the grant ?
RichardW

yep even paying the same company off grant is cheaper too. Plus getting a grant is a black art in its self.
vegplot

RichardW wrote:
yep even paying the same company off grant is cheaper too. Plus getting a grant is a black art in its self.

and a bit of a lottery.
RichardW

Yep each allocation for a period tends to go in seconds of it being released. Do not do anything till you have a writen confirmed offer of a grant.

RichardW
SheepShed

Thanks both.
I'll ignore any grant money in my calculations then and assume that me and the local plumber will be doing the work.
I've just started collecting the information about suppliers, what equipment is needed, what sizes etc. to do some pricing up.
thos

I would also look at the Viessmann Vitolig200 and the Buderus Logano S151 for new-generation log burners from mainstream companies. They seem to give the convenience of pellet-burners but are much cheaper. The only thing I am not sure about is how the automatic loading can cope with split logs - surely it must jam easily.

I am considering something like these for when I finally replace my oil-fired hot air system.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home