Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
OtleyLad

Getting a farmer to grow crops for you-how easy is it?

I was wondering about the feasibility of getting a farmer to grow crops for me.
That is, if a group of us got together and raised some upfront cash, could we ask a farmer to grow us, say an acre of spuds. If we promised them a price above what they'd normally get, could it work?

Are there regulations, etc to negotiate too?
Rob R

No regs, a guaranteed income would probably be fine. I'm assuming you mean like a spud farmer, with all the equipment, who'd give you a portion of his crop, rather than you supply the seed and do the prep/harvest work?
Tavascarow

It's called Community supported agriculture.
Nick

Are you interested in other crops? If you're after nettles, I have great rates.
Shan

I can provide the docks...
sean

I can provide the docks...

I don't think he was planning on exporting the crops.
gil

Laughing
chicken feed

Wink 1 acre would harvest alot of potatoes how many of you are there in the group.
Tavascarow

What we used to do was allow all the neighbours to plant as many rows of spuds as they wanted in return for help with the hay harvest.
They benefited from tractor power (Planting & lifting) & we got many hands to lug the bales.
Now most of my neighbours wouldn't touch a spud unless it was washed & came from a plastic bag in Te*co.
Rusticwood

Now most of my neighbours wouldn't touch a spud unless it was washed & came from a plastic bag in Te*co.

They probably think they grow there Wink
gil

I don't know.

I do know a farmer up here who grows an acreage of commercial tatties (between 10-20), and sells some on his own account.
I would think he'd be quite OK about growing an acre for other folk if they paid him enough (a bit more than he'd get if he did it himself, and none of the hassle of making the sales, even though I think he might quite like that aspect).

But his main commercial concern is dairying.

Also know another farmer who grows tatties commercially - a couple of fields each year, but again, his main interest is beef and sheep.

Up here, (technically), it's tatties for chips and crisps.
Doesna mean ye cannae use them for other purposes.
Hairyloon

Are you interested in other crops? If you're after nettles, I have great rates.
What'll you charge to grow oil?
Green Man

We grow oil. Rape oil. Green Man

Letting others grow on your land may effect CAP calculations. We were asked for a bit of ground to grow nursery stock plants and this certainly would have effected calculations. Rob R

Letting others grow on your land may effect CAP calculations. We were asked for a bit of ground to grow nursery stock plants and this certainly would have effected calculations.

He's growing crops for them though, so essentially selling some spuds from a defined area - I think that'd be OK for the SFP.
Green Man

As long as they complied to all the rules I guess. Marches

Hahaha, I can't imagine any of the conventional farmers I know doing that! Laughing

Smallholders probably would though, they;re a decent bunch I suppose. Or you could get an allotment.

I can't remember exactly, but I think one acre fed a Irish family of 4 pre-famine. Of course you obviously should eat other things too, I'm just saying the output from potatoes can be very good.

Just watch out for green ones, don't ingest the green parts of the plant nor green potatoes since they're very poisonous.

Humidity aides blight, too much dry conditions and you get scaly potatoes.
They like rich alluvial soils too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home