Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
bingo

Girolles picture.

Girolles.
cab

Very wet ones too Smile

In English, a girolle is a chanterelle. Of course, what they call a chanterelle in France is a winter chanterelle in the UK. Unless you're in Sainsburys, where they're sold as Autumn chanterelles, and the reason for THAT is a long story.
Zarza

What's the purpose on having them on water? Or is it vodka?
bingo

Well spotted

As you realised there floating in water, they needed a good wash. I only wash Girolles because I think they can hold up to it. Theres nothing worse than crunching on a piece of grit when you're enjoying something that tasty. Well I can think off some things, like someone stubbing out a roll up in your eye, licking a tramps arm pit, do I need to go on? But its not pleasant is it! Theres no way for example I would wash a Cep, sorry Boletus Edulis for anybody affended by french terminology, no matter how many slugs had a go on it.
As a Chef we call Yellow Chanterelle- Girolles and Winter Chanterelle- Winter Chanterelle to aviod any confusion or time wasting conversations. Anyway what's wrong with calling the mushrooms by there french Gastronomic names (after all we all eat them, don't we)? Most french country folk proberly know more about mycology than your average brit. I'm forever pulling Death caps out of idiots baskets out in the forest.

doctoral

Re: Well spotted

bingo wrote:
... most french country folk proberly know more about mycology than your average brit. I'm forever pulling Death caps out of idiots baskets out in the forest.

... me too Exclamation
cab

Re: Well spotted

bingo wrote:

As a Chef we call Yellow Chanterelle- Girolles and Winter Chanterelle- Winter Chanterelle to aviod any confusion or time wasting conversations. Anyway what's wrong with calling the mushrooms by there french Gastronomic names (after all we all eat them, don't we)?

I think its rather sad when the English names for these things get forgotten. Penny bun sounds better to me than cep, chanterelle better than girolle. I wouldn't go around referring to plums as prunes, so I don't go around calling changerelles girolles.

Quote:

Most french country folk proberly know more about mycology than your average brit. I'm forever pulling Death caps out of idiots baskets out in the forest.

Laughing
Round in these parts its usually yellow stainers that the inexperienced pickers fill their baskets with.

Gorgeous looking penny buns there.
bingo

Penny buns there.

Cheers mate, I found 100 times that this year. Good ones. Its been a great season.
bingo

Sorry upside down chicken.
doctoral

bingo wrote:
Sorry upside down chicken.

... doesn't matter, you can eat both Wink
Truffle

Fantastic looking Boletus (managed to avoid the terminology war!)…

Looking at these boards is making me wish I spent more time foraying last month…..

Truffle
www.PlantationSystems.com
doctoral

Truffle wrote:

No you didn't, it should be Boleti ...

as cab will tell you, us English call them Boletes Wink
bingo

Without boasting. That was only the tip of my Cep iceberg. I had kilo's.
doctoral

bingo wrote:
Without boasting. That was only the tip of my Cep iceberg. I had kilo's.

You obviously have a 'place'.
bingo

Yeah, I have a few but there where lots of pickers out this year and a lot of Polish. They seemed to know exactly what they were looking for.
Stewy

What price per Kilo do you get for your Ceps Bingo?
Truffle

doctoral wrote:
Truffle wrote:

No you didn't, it should be Boleti ...

as cab will tell you, us English call them Boletes Wink

In specific reference to the fine specimen on the top right of the photo and Boletus as in Boletus edulis sticking to the latin names here!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home