Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Pilsbury

Good night tonight

Went out for a walk tonight in a spot i have had my eye on for a while and found a plum tree, 2 apple trees and 1 of them is definatly an eating tree, looks just like golden delisious, 3 cherry trees with the sweetest cherries i have had in a long time and tonnes of blackberries that are ripe already.
I am going back tomorrow with a big bucket to get on with some apple and blackberry jam and maybe some cherry as well.
jema

Re: Good night tonight

Pilsbury wrote:
Went out for a walk tonight in a spot i have had my eye on for a while and found a plum tree, 2 apple trees and 1 of them is definatly an eating tree, looks just like golden delisious, 3 cherry trees with the sweetest cherries i have had in a long time and tonnes of blackberries that are ripe already.
I am going back tomorrow with a big bucket to get on with some apple and blackberry jam and maybe some cherry as well.

Blackberries seem to be at all stages round here. Seems a bit odd to me, but maybe I have not been noticing so much in previous years?
cab

Some ripe blackberries here, not many though. Lots of ripe dewberries though... You guys sure you're not looking at dewberries? Very similar (essentially interchangeable).
sean

Way to go before any of the blackberries round here'll be ripe. Half of them are only just finishing flowering.
jema

cab wrote:
Some ripe blackberries here, not many though. Lots of ripe dewberries though... You guys sure you're not looking at dewberries? Very similar (essentially interchangeable).

I don't know, as its Snowball and Elfy who have claimed to have seen the ripe ones.
fenwoman

I was driving home from collecting a monitor (freecycle) yesterday at about 8 pm and was thinking about where I live. All my life I have been a nomad, never settling in one place, but have been in this area on and off now for the last 18 years. I had felt the need for a move again but as I drove, I thought about all the places I know about for foraging.
There by the river was a very old apple tree which crops heavily every year, Nobody picks the apples and most fall into the river. I know where all the best blackberry sites are. I know of a lane where a line of neglected plum trees grow on the verge and every year the plums just drop and rot. I go and gather the stuff and make jam, chutney, pies, cakes and puddings. I think the influx of city dwellers to this area means that I get most of the gatherings. My neighbour would not eat the free plums, but happily goes to tesco to buy plums, I offered to show them where to pick blackberries once , zero interest. Someone in the village was giving away marrows one year and I got her a couple too and gave her a recipe for million pie and stuffed marrow. They never bothered.
I came to the conclusion that people have too much money. I have never persuaded her or many others, that making jam and the like is great fun.
gil

What a great find, Pilsbury !
Cherry jam can be difficult to set, so you might either want to mix with apple (??) or else bottle / freeze.
tahir

gil wrote:
What a great find, Pilsbury !
Cherry jam can be difficult to set, so you might either want to mix with apple (??) or else bottle / freeze.

Gooseberries have pectin in them too (might still be a few about)
Pilsbury

havent found any gooseberrys yet but wil keep an eye out.
Going to pick a load of the blackberrys on the way to work tomorrow and then turn them into cordial to drink while i am there boiling away in 35c heat, add plenty of ice and away we go.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home