Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Lorrainelovesplants

growing lavender

Hi, A friend suggested that a pick your own lavender idea might be a good(and profitable) use of my small amount of land. I know how to grow it, but want more info.
There used to be a place near Chester called Lavender Blue or something where you could pick your own in July & Aug, but I have been told it closed.
I wanted to contact them for more info.
Main question is do you think its too wet in North Cornwall to try this on half an acre? Confused
tahir

I reckon so Lorraine. You might also want to bear in mind that there are huge lavender plantations in France that are harvested by machine, and hence hugely cheaper...

Not saying it's impossible. Have you had any other ideas? I've been racking my brains to think of a way of making a living off 1 acre, no light bulb yet.
Lorrainelovesplants

Yeah, but its just a different slant on the P-U-Own strawberry thing which is everywhere here.
Ive a friend who said that the Lavender thing was really popular in Chester, and no-one is doing it in Cornwall. The other suggestions Ive had are selling Coriander & chillis to the Restaurent trade(Indian & Chinese). Ive also strated doing the Wadebridge Women's Institute market on Thursday mornings..really strange...handbags at dawn, attacked with brollys by old bats who think you'r skipping the queue, and negligible plant sales. They DO buy quantities of veg though..
tahir

Chillis to indian restaurants Shocked they're blinking cheap on wholesale markets. Frssh herbs and perhaps speciality veg could be possibilities.

With the PYO lavender thing it'll take a couple of years to be picking won't it? You'll need to start with fairly small plants to keep it relatively cheap.
Lorrainelovesplants

This is rural Cornwall - apparently a little man I know grows them in Newquay to supply there, and they cant get enough of them - dont know how much he charges, but apparently he's made enough in the last year to build a second greenhouse!
Re lavenders, if you take cuttings in late summer, they can be planted out in March/April and will be flowering at a decent size by July.
They do for me - Im good at plants.
(Just wish I'd never bought this stupid ag tie).
tahir

If it's viable given the choice I'd go for the chillis thing. You've then got the ability to perhaps get other local growers to grow speciality stuff for you, making it worthwhile to deliver to a few different towns/villages.

Anybody else got any bright ideas?
2steps

could growing unusual or wild mushroom variteies to sell to resturants be a possibility? I don't know anything about mushrooms but the idea came to mind thining of speciaity veg
Lorrainelovesplants

Very Happy Very Happy
The W.I. also does a roaring trade in aubergines, butternut squashes ans courgettes. They are off the table as soon as the doors open.
Thjere are 2 kinds of customers -the veggy trendies and the curmudgeonly crusties, a handy thing to remember when planning out the veg list.

Thanks for the encouragement...last week was the lowest Ive been since moving here, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and its getting closer.
cab

If I were to try to make a living out of one acre, I'd set myself up a plant nursery, travel round markets selling interesting plants for house and garden. I'd also supplement that with plants from other nurseries (places that sell trade only and suchlike).

I'd need a partner, someone would have to do the work on the land with the other person selling. And I'd need to get a polytunnel or two and a good sized potting shed.
Andy B

tahir wrote:
I reckon so Lorraine. You might also want to bear in mind that there are huge lavender plantations in France that are harvested by machine, and hence hugely cheaper...

Not saying it's impossible. Have you had any other ideas? I've been racking my brains to think of a way of making a living off 1 acre, no light bulb yet.

Cart track! as in motorsport not horse and ....
@Calli

Hmm - not sure that would help with ag tie? Probably more horse and cart track???? Very Happy

ps originally from chester - family still there - not sure where a lavender PYO but there was a big fruit PYO with a good variety of fruit??
gil

At an agri show in Melbourne (Oz), there was a stall selling all things lavender : including plants, dried, bags, biscuits, boiled sweets.
So value-added products as well.
But again, hotter and drier than N Cornwall.

Try a google search for English Lavender or suchlike, see who's producing what.

Organic herb nursery ? Check out Poyntzfield Herbs on the net - they've got a walled garden, not sure what acreage.

Surely as long as you are trying to make a living doing something ag/hort, it would not matter if the other work brought in more income (especially when setting up). If you own the property, can they really chuck you out ? Is it a legally unenforceable condition in practice ? M-J, do you have any advice on this area ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home