Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
doctoral

Guelder Rose

This appears to be the time here for picking Guelder Rose berries for a delicious jelly. They are eaten all over the continent, but seem to be ignored here for some unknown reason .... Confused
cab

Do you like the jelly? I found it just a little bland. Maybe my recipe was letting me down; whats yours?
doctoral

I think the trick is to use as many berries as possible, boil down with little water, an apple and some lemon juice, strain and use 1lb of sugar per pint of liquid - boil to soft setting point then eat with strongly flavoured meat, such as game or lamb.
tahir

Dunno about Guelder Rose but Sea Buckthorn is the one, amazingly health giving by the sounds of it, I've just ordered 230 of em as the shrub layer of my windbreak. Good for jams, jellies, juiced for blending with other juices, good for the skin in soaps etc.....
doctoral

You are very lucky to be able to grow sea buckthorn - are you near the coast, or the Thames? Get the fruit in before the starlings arrive (very thorny, if I remember rightly) - they will take it apart in Autumn.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home