Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sally_in_wales

Handling a possible copyright infrigement?

I've had a heads up this morning that one of my knitting patterns appears to have been lifted by another designer who is passing it off as her own. I've emailed her, and am trying to determine whether its just a very strange co-incidence of what appears to be identical pattern, even colour and styling of the sample, or not, but she appears to have been essentially absent from the net for about 4 months as best as I can tell.

I have tracked down her home address though, and am wondering how best to handle it if I end up needing to write her a letter if the email approach fails. Is it possible to cook up what is essentially a cease and desist letter without the aid of a solicitor or does it really need to come via a legal tpe to have any meaning?

Hoping it won't come to that, but not having been in this position before am trying to find out what steps are practical.
Midland Spinner

Is the pattern on Ravelry? If so contact the Powers that Be to see if they can help.

I don't think you 'Have' to use a solicitor to tell them to cease & desist. Although you would need a lawyer if you wanted to actually take them to court.

Why not knock up some wording and get people on here to check it to see if they think it's punchy enough.

Did you see the blog post recently about the O W L S sweater and one of the big stores (I don't think that she used a solicitor but got her way in the end.)

Stick with it!
sally_in_wales

I've got a couple of people having a careful look to see if they think it is the same or just an unfortunate co-incidence, so will see what they think before I do anything daft. Its not in the greater scheme of things the end of the world, but not having had to deal with this before its a bit nervewracking
OtleyLad

Sally, this might be possible?
We once had a dispute with a neighbour but could not afford the expense of getting a letter sent by a solicitor.
I talked to a solicitor and they were happy for me to write a letter which they then checked out first before I sent it to the neighbour.

It said something like: I have taken legal advice and have been advised to..

So I had the legal advice but it did not cost anything. It did have the desired effect as well.

Best of luck with it.
Hairyloon

Although you would need a lawyer if you wanted to actually take them to court.

No you don't... though it may be advisable.

Having said that, in my personal experience (which may not be typical), at least half the lawyers I have had dealings with made the situation significantly worse.
Midland Spinner

Although you would need a lawyer if you wanted to actually take them to court.

No you don't... though it may be advisable.

Having said that, in my personal experience (which may not be typical), at least half the lawyers I have had dealings with made the situation significantly worse. Very Happy Very Happy john of wessex

At a basic level it's perfectly possible to do things without a lawyer.

When I did get them involved in a recent spat with my ex, with hindsight it seemed like a waste of money.

I dont need to pay someone 100 to send her a letter saying she's an arse
Hairyloon

Two fundamental things to remember are:
1) Don't believe he is right, just because he is a lawyer, and
2) If they're stuffing your case, then don't be afraid to sack them just because you are in court. If you wait, it will be too late. "My lawyer didn't listen to instructions" is not a ground for appeal. Confused
gil

PM Kate Davies - I'm sure she'd have ideas on how to deal / be sympathetic.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home