Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Hawthorn Blossom

First of the year, spotted today in Paradise Nature Reserve in Cambridge. Earliest I've seen it.
Jamanda

That is very early. The sloe blossom isn't even in full spate here.
lettucewoman

blimey! ive noticed the hawthorn leaves out early, but no blossom as yet - just the blackthorn... Smile
Jamanda

lettucewoman wrote:
blimey! ive noticed the hawthorn leaves out early, but no blossom as yet - just the blackthorn... Smile

I had a nibble on some hawthorne leaves yesterday. I never understood why they were supposed to be called "bread & cheese"
cab

Sloe still out here, although some of those trees are done. Some of the cherry is out too, and some of the cherry plum.
Jamanda

cab wrote:
Sloe still out here, although some of those trees are done. Some of the cherry is out too, and some of the cherry plum.

You are well ahead of us. The proper cherries are still tightly wrapped up. Some of the super early ornamental things are out, but they don't count. I saw my first wood anenomies yesterday. And a pile of spotty orchid leaves.
cab

Jamanda wrote:

You are well ahead of us. The proper cherries are still tightly wrapped up. Some of the super early ornamental things are out, but they don't count. I saw my first wood anenomies yesterday. And a pile of spotty orchid leaves.

Oh, I really wish we saw more orchids round here!

None of the cherries I normally visit for fruit are out yet, but the peach tree down the road is in bloom (and this cold snap won't have done it any good at all).
Nick

My peach is out too, as is a pear. No hawthorn, yet. And the almond Tahir sent me is flowering like mad. (Only one, sadly, the other didn't make it).
sally_in_wales

Thats scarily early, we've only had blackthorn for a week or so here
Green Man

I hope last nights frost didn't damage all your early blossom. I have a Victoria plum on the verge of opening buds. Thet are sure to be blasted. Surprised
2steps

I was thinkign about this a few days ago but none here yet
Gavin Bl

A few branches blossoming, but no leaves round our way - tried the blossom for the first time, I guess it has a faintly mealy savoury quality to it - is that the reason for 'bread and cheese'?, but obviously had a 'greenness' to it as well.
PeteS

Jamanda wrote:
lettucewoman wrote:

I had a nibble on some hawthorne leaves yesterday. I never understood why they were supposed to be called "bread & cheese"

I believe that they are called "bread & cheese" because in days gone by people use to add them to cheese sandwiches.
cab

The berries have a slight cheesiness to them, and a sort of mealy texture too. I always assumed thats where bread and cheese for hawthorn came from.
hedgewitch

I thought I might've found a blackthorn but it's not flowered at all. Maybe it's a vicious wild rose? That said, on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border I'm not sure if it would be later? Hawthorn blossom won't be out for a while yet round here.
gil

Sloe blossom not out up here, though the buds are there, still tightly done up, with a hint of white showing. Nothing else doing much, I hope. Must check up on the stone fruit for weather damage to buds.
mochyn

Nothing here yet, either. The only sloe blossom was from a branch I cut and brought into the house!

Bluebell leaves are up, though.
pookie

we've had hawthorn blossom for about a week now! Shocked
hedgewitch

I found some blackthorn today Very Happy

One I had spotted from a distance so made sure the dog walk took me past it today, and it is definately a blackthorn - lovely old one. Once I'd got my eye in, I spotted quite a few. I now have a 'sloe gin' dog-walking route planned, where I can keep an eye on them 'til autumn Embarassed Laughing
Maxwell

We've had blackthorn in flower here in Yorkshire for over a month! Shocked

I took this picture of some the 8th of March

@Calli

I can't compete with that - beautiful photography!!

But heres one my 7 yr old took today!
Maxwell

Thanks for your kind words Calli.

It's my first time using a fully manual camera before and it's taking quite some getting used to! Embarassed
Lorrainelovesplants

Sloes are out in full here, daffs are gone, saw 2 swallows yesterday hawking for flies over our pond. Now that IS early..
Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home