Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Barefoot Andrew

Hefty gas bill

My next gas bill is going to be about 220 Sad

The main reason that this has happened is because the last two bills have been estimated readings, specifically under estimated readings. 2007's finances were a bit lean so on both occasions I let it pass and went for the cheaper bill payment.

Bill just in for about 120. I've now corrected the meter reading, and I'm awaiting the replacement bill. Expected to be almost double Sad

A.
Samantha

Good Luck - because of various F$*! ups my gas bill that arrived on Saturday is for 1,700

No we don't owe that much - it's been an ongoing saga which started off like yours almost 2 years ago and in that time they have complelety failed to put it right.

We send them an amount every quarter estimated from our previous years bills which they are happy to take but then seem incapable of correcting our account.

The sooner we go off grid the better.
VSS

We've just had a whopping electricity bill - and they are all done by meter reading Sad . don't really know why the bills are so big (usually over 200 / quarter) given that we don't cook or heat (water or space) with the stuff. It is a bit of a mystery. An expensive one!
Treacodactyl

Re: Hefty gas bill

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Bill just in for about 120. I've now corrected the meter reading, and I'm awaiting the replacement bill. Expected to be almost double Sad

If you gas prices have just gone up check most of the new bill is calculated on the old rate.
JB

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Bill just in for about 120. I've now corrected the meter reading, and I'm awaiting the replacement bill. Expected to be almost double

From my experience what will now happen is that they will politely tell you that they will send you a corrected bill for the new amount and then ignore for several weeks when they send you a final demand for the original, too low, estimate. At which point you give up and pay what they ask even though it is an underestimate because it's just too much like hard work to get them to understand that you want to pay them more.
jamsam

we have 4 seperate bills for this house, yes 4!!!

I have my own for the flat ( simple and cheap) then one for mums part of the house ( again simple and even cheaper thanks to hot hot hot rayburn!!), then one for the living room ( former bank) an dthen one for the kitchen ( former post office). lots of meter readings!!!
Mary-Jane

Barefoot Andrew wrote:

A.

We had an electricity bill for over 900 last month Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised We almost passed out on the spot - particularly as we pay a flat rate each month by Direct Debit. Gervase quickly did a meter reading and I rang up (I spoke to an absolutely delightful and helpful woman) and we had our adjusted bill a week later...600 in credit. A shift of 1,500 in total. Shocked

We were so relieved though because we thought we'd been over-using electricity all this time and couldn't work where or how.
Jamanda

Mine tend to over charge by DD, but then always refund it straight away when pointed out, and they put our estimated monthly rate down last time I spoke to them too.
Barefoot Andrew

JB wrote:
At which point you give up and pay what they ask even though it is an underestimate because it's just too much like hard work to get them to understand that you want to pay them more.

Amazingly, the new bill arrived today. Pleasingly, it's only 193.50. I say "only" Confused

I wasn't sure where the change-over between "primary" and "secondary" units was, so I calculated worst-case and used the higher primary cost for all units. Plus, on this revised bill, they've upped their original estimated reading, so more units are charged at the lower pre-Feb 8th rate. How nice of them.
A.
cab

On a related note, I got a letter from the water company. After the installation of the meter, they're charging us a different rate that also appears to be unrelated to how much water we've actually used. I'll query this, to see whats going on. Seems odd to fit a meter then decide what to charge us without actually reading the meter.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home