Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Zarza

Honey Fungus, does it worth a go?

I've found quite a large cluster of honey fungus. It seems that not all people tolerate well their ingestion. It must be well cooked for a long time. Only young specimen must be collected.

After all this hassle, has anyone here eaten them? If so, does it worth the effort?
doctoral

Very Happy I like them and seem to tolerate them well, although I don't think my OH would (she seems to have a problem with most wild mushrooms). I only eat the caps, well fried in butter and then added to a soup or stew right at the start of cooking. I think they go well with chicken. They are a 'rich' food, so only eat a few the first time.
cab

Yep, I basket them whenever I find them. Very tasty, very robust, stand up well to cooking. A great stewing shroom.
bingo

Honey fungus

I see loads of this out. I think the very same thing everytime I see it, is it worth it? I had that exact thought this afternoon when I saw a patch. Should I bother? It seems a waste. But I always leave it, I don't think its worth the bother. Here in the new forest there are plenty of worth while mushrooms, so why bother.
cab

Re: Honey fungus

bingo wrote:
so why bother.

I bother 'cos I think its tasty.
bingo

I don't ,because I don't.
Zarza

I boiled them for ten minutes, the pan fried with butter and garlic for 5 minutes. Amanzingly the taste remind me of rabbit... Yes, rabbit!!!

If I'm not suffering from stomach upset till tomorrow, I'll pick more.
doctoral

Each to his own. I eat them because I like them - what have you got in the New Forest at present, Bingo?

Rabbit - not me Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home