Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Mary-Jane

How much should a part-time receptionist/assistant be paid?

As many of you know, I am in the process of setting up a family mediation service. It will be very part-time at first (weekends, possibly evenings and the occasional weekday) and the service will be peripatetic - working mainly out of hired rooms in Aberystwyth, Aberaeron and Cardigan - until such time (if ever) it can generate enough work to enable me to take on a permanent office close to home.

Owing to the nature of the service, it would be *best* if I could also use the services of a part-time receptionist/typist as and when I need them, who could travel with me, deal with clients, help shift the files, white boards and flipcharts etc. I have someone in mind and am intending to approach her with a proposal in the next month or so.

So my question is this - how much per hour should I offer to pay her?
Marionb

I am a part time Admin Assistant and am on roughly 8 an hour.
Mary-Jane

Yes, I was thinking 7-8 per hour.
marigold

I used to work as a private PA for 12 an hour. I pay my cleaner 11.50 an hour. Perhaps a percentage of what you charge per hour would be a good way of working it out?
Went

Basic secretarial work commands between 9-14 per hour but the higher end is London. It also depends on a few other matters such as:

1. number of hours - are they guaranteed or will it be ad hoc
2. the time of day worked - evenings and weekends would require enhanced pay
3. how much you want this particular person
4. will they be self employed or will you employ the person? Self employment might be a cheaper option for you but might command a greater salary for them.
Mary-Jane

The work would be very sporadic at the start and probably in four hour blocks on Saturdays or Sundays. The wages out here in west Wales are very low compared to England. I want this person as she is ideal and prefers to work flexibly.
earthyvirgo

Located where you are M-J, I'd say your estimate isn't far off.

I would look seriously at the self-employment route even if it does mean a higher rate per hour - being an employer can be very stressful and the additional overhead is always far, far greater than you'd imagine, even for one employee.

EV
Mary-Jane

I would look seriously at the self-employment route - being an employer can be very stressful and the additional overhead is always far, far greater than you'd imagine, even for one employee.

EV

I completely agree EV...
Went

I would look seriously at the self-employment route - being an employer can be very stressful and the additional overhead is always far, far greater than you'd imagine, even for one employee.

EV

I completely agree EV...

I agree - I had a secretary for a few years but went down this route - I paid more but it was worth it however you need to be aware that the tax rules have changed of late from what I understand and if a self employed person is working for the same company consistently then they are perceived as being an employee and therefore you could be brought to book about it - but many are in exactly the same position.

A friend has just been landed with a tax bill of 17k for musicians she employed on a self employed basis as they have worked with the band for the past few years - even though they have paid tax as self employed individuals. Saying that - the politicians seem to manage to get away with it.
Chez

I reckon 8 an hour would be about right, but if you are going the SE route, I'd say pay 10 and let them sort out all the other stuff themselves. T.G

Look at the local job market see what each role is fetching and workout a fair rate from that.

Keep in mind, it's unsocial hours, it's casual, it's a variety of roles.

Also factor in you want reliability, confidentiality and flexibility - they cost, it's not a given these days when employing anyone that they are any of the afore mentioned even if on the surface and from paper they appear so.

On the other hand, many people want out of the norm hours jobs and it would suit a variety of people (I know you have one in mind but just in case they say no) bare the above in mind.

Finally, always keep in mind, pay what you can afford but quality costs.
Mary-Jane

Aye - all sensible advice chaps. Thanks. Penny Outskirts

Not sure you'll get away with the self employed bit...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/taxes/workingandpayingtax/dg_4015975

"You can usually work out your employment status by asking a few straightforward questions.

You are probably self-employed if you:

run your own business and take responsibility for its success or failure
have several customers at the same time
can decide how, when and where you do your work
are free to hire other people to do the work for you or help you at your own expense
provide the main items of equipment to do your work

You are probably employed if you:

have to do the work yourself
work for one person at a time, who is in charge of what you do and takes on the risks of the business
can be told how, when and where you do your work
have to work a set amount of hours
are paid a regular amount according to the hours you work, and get paid for working overtime - even if you do casual or part-time work, you can still be employed"
lettucewoman

Im not sure about that...I was employed as an actor on numerous occasions on the basis that I was actually self employed and responsible for my own tax, insurance etc..so I guess I was freelance.
We also had a freelance marketing person work for us for a few months..we looked into it and she was ok do our work but still be self employed...she had other clients too. (she was 12 an hour BTW)
Went

Im not sure about that...I was employed as an actor on numerous occasions on the basis that I was actually self employed and responsible for my own tax, insurance etc..so I guess I was freelance.
We also had a freelance marketing person work for us for a few months..we looked into it and she was ok do our work but still be self employed...she had other clients too. (she was 12 an hour BTW)

It is true - as I said earlier, my friend has been landed with a huge tax bill for this very reason.

I suppose it is a matter of the number of people you are working for. If you are working for just one person or just the one company regularly over a long period of time then it is different to working for a variety of employers.
Chez

Basically, if the person you have in mind also does work for other people, the self-employed thing will work. Otherwise, not so much.

However, if an employee earns less than x amount per week/month then you do not have to pay NI for them (it used to be 89, which I assume is minimum wage for a sixteen hour week, but not sure).

When we folded the ltd company I swore I'd never 'employ' anyone again - so stressful, as EV says.
Shan

What about doing it through an agency? Get your lady listed through an agency the personally request her. She can always turn down or accept other agency work as it suits her to. earthyvirgo

Basically, if the person you have in mind also does work for other people, the self-employed thing will work. Otherwise, not so much.

However, if an employee earns less than x amount per week/month then you do not have to pay NI for them (it used to be 89, which I assume is minimum wage for a sixteen hour week, but not sure).

When we folded the ltd company I swore I'd never 'employ' anyone again - so stressful, as EV says.

Things need to be made so much easier for small employers in terms of legislation ... but whatever the Gov says, there's no support for micro companies, not really - not in Wales anyway. They just pile funding into large business, who stay 2 years, then move on the the next funding location.

No long term stability at all.

EV
Chez

What about doing it through an agency? Get your lady listed through an agency the personally request her. She can always turn down or accept other agency work as it suits her to.

That might work.
john of wessex

The Living Wage, last time I looked was about 7.20/hour

Good starting point + a %age............
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home