Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Helen_A

How much water do you use?

We've just moved into a house without a water meter - and an annual bill of 500 based on rateable value! Shocked

Yes - we're going over to a meter...

Anyway - the point of this ramble is that according to their leaflet we would be worse off on a meter. But their figures are so far outside of what we use its beyond a joke. According to their leaflet a *low* water use household with 5 people in it showers, uses the washing machine infrequently (but no definition as to what that actually means), has no dishwasher, or hosepipe or sprinkler and somehow *still* manages to use 121 cubic meters of water a year Shocked

For the last couple of years we have used about 25 cubic meters...

How the heck have we managed that? Now ok - their leaflet suggests that a washing machine uses 65L a wash, and a dishwasher uses 25L a cycle, and a shower 35L.... (our washing machine uses 45L at a push, the dishwasher DP has his eye on uses 9L, and I have no idea what the shower uses...)

Now should I feel dirty or virtuous?

Helen_A
AnneandMike

Water is like anything else - if people think it is 'free' then they will waste large amounts of it; start paying and suddenly consumption goes down (unless you are a ds, in which case you save water anyway)
Green Rosie

Virtuous - we live in a society obsessed with cleanliness. A programme I saw a while ago showed that the children of farmers, who were generally brought up "olling in mud" and if they were anything like me never washed their hands before eating Wink ) had far fewer illnesses. It is even now thought that some typs of childhood leukemia are triggered by living in overly clean environments.
AnneandMike

Green Rosie wrote:
Virtuous - we live in a society obsessed with cleanliness. A programme I saw a while ago showed that the children of farmers, who were generally brought up "olling in mud" and if they were anything like me never washed their hands before eating Wink ) had far fewer illnesses. It is even now thought that some typs of childhood leukemia are triggered by living in overly clean environments.

No doubt about it. Every primary school should keep pigs - mucking out would do wonders for their immune systems.
OP

Behemoth should be able to advise on this. I don't think anyone could possibly be under the illusion that water is free, with water bills increasing at several points above the rate of inflation.
Green Rosie

AnneandMike wrote:

No doubt about it. Every primary school should keep pigs - mucking out would do wonders for their immune systems.

.......and their fitness and their understanding of where food comes from and their ability to take on responsibility .......
lettucewoman

I know allowing kids to be mucky is good - mine were and had no where near as many illnesses etc as their little friends...my daughter did'nt need antibiotics until she was well into her teens...

In fact, washing one's whole body too frequently upsets the skin's natural flora - We've talked bout this before -as long as one's important little places are kept clean, a daily shower is not necessary - a weekly bath is as much as you need - and maybe not even that.... Very Happy
Behemoth

The industry average for metered customers is 148 litres per person per day. So for five in a house you could estomate at 0.6 cubic metres per day, 220 cubic metres per year ish. It varies across the companies.

The caveats are, this is based on actual billed volumes used, this includes leakage on customers pipes and occupancy rates are based on surveys and samples. However diff companies using diff methods come up with very similar figures.

There is scope for most households to make massive savings but one thing we notice is that when people have meters fitted their consumption drops and then after 18 months consumption starts to increase as in surveys people say they don't vieww the financial savings as worth the effort.

There are many thoughwho consistently use less. I used to get an annual sumary from an ex Desert Rat of his water consumption was remarkably little and in his words "I don't stink or owt".

Plenty of info in the tables here:

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/leakage_05-06.pdf/$FILE/leakage_05-06.pdf
Behemoth

orangepippin wrote:
Behemoth should be able to advise on this. I don't think anyone could possibly be under the illusion that water is free, with water bills increasing at several points above the rate of inflation.

The issue here is people who can halve their bill by fitting a meter without trying to reduce their consumption and can be quite profligate with their water use before they start paying more than they did on the old RV basis. Different priorities and psychology behind people's motivations.
Fee

I'm not sure how much we actually use, because after switching to a meter last year, we then got a normal bill in at the start of the summer, basically ignoring the fact that we were on a meter, so after a bit of an ear lashing over the phone, we had the entire amount credited to our account, so now our water consumption comes up on the bill as 0 units Rolling Eyes

And we're still in credit by a couple of hundred squideroonies!
Behemoth

That's poor, you should still be getting the consumption reading evenif there's a credit on the bill.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home