Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Chez

Hunter solid fuel cooker question

We have had our lovely solid fuel cooker fitted for a couple of months and mostly, it has been working fine.

However ... over the last fews days we have been virtually smoked out, unless we damp it right down.

I had a long chat to Mochyn's Old Chap last night and we went through all the things we could think of:

Wet fuel? - no
Chimbley needs sweeping? - can't see it, it was newly lined when the range was installed
Birds nest? - possible, but haven't noticed any bird activity. Mochyn's OC has offered chimney rods to make sure.
Chinese hat thing on top meaning it's not drawing very well in this east wind? - possible, will consult with installer tomorrow.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Or, even better, know anyone with one? It's basically a poor-man's rayburn and is doing a fine job adding to the solar water and the oil CH. It's an obsolete model, so the manufacturing company aren't able to help - Hunter now only do solid fuel stoves, not range cookers, I've tried them.

Gah.

*retires, to put on gas mask again*
RichardW

It will be a blocked flue.
What goes in must come out.
Justme
Chez

I have just rather gingerly dismantled all the bottom bits of the chimbley and poked around in there, and I think you are right. The bit where the smoke goes through via the damper was completely furred up with black tarry stuff and as I have now got more of it over me that was in the flue it seems to be drawing better.

Is that amount of gunking up in a month or so of use normal? Or am I burning a gunky kind of coal and should be looking at a different kind? Anthracite at the moment.
Chez

I *heart* downsizer - Woodsprite's OH, who installed it for us and who I didn't want to ring and disturb on a weekend has just phoned and talked me through keeping my flues clean, because Woodsprite saw my post ...
RichardW

Normaly if you burn HOT daily you get less build up. Letting it tick over for long periods will soon cause build up. Also unseasoned wood.

Justme
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home