Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
doctoral

I just found my first "real" mushroom of the year

Shocked ... in the flower bed right by the front door. An agaricus bitorquis - unfortunately, I ate it before my OH returned home with the camera - it was absolutely delicious ...

Has anyone else found anything interestingly edible yet this year?
steve01

found my first morels of the year this afternoon just south of cambridge 2 little beauties wish i knew how to post a photo
bingo

Well done, would love see a pic of the morel. Where are you having probs posting an image?
cab

Haven't had time to go and forage, been too busy rebuilding the kitchen (you know how it is, theres a damaged work surface, and you offer to replace it, then she says that theres no point doing that because when we replace the tiles it'll ruin the new surface... and before you know it she's planning a new kitchen Twisted Evil )

Agaricus bitorquis is a funny one. A lot of Agaricus will appear out of season, it isn't that rare to find horse mushrooms, A. macrosporus (or whatever thats been renamed to, can't remember off hand!) or various others in Spring, but A. bitorquis just seems to appear wherever and whenever it wants to. I've found huge flushes of it breaking through tarmac once or twice Shocked
dpack

i got some oak brackets for tinder last week ,does that count ? Laughing
PeteS

Hi,

Apart from a good crop or two of Oysters I haven't found anything. I did think of going to look for Morels last weekend but thought it too early, especially with this Blackthorn winter! Obviously mistaken.
starmoonlilly

What does a Blackthorn winter mean where morels are concerned? I'm sorry for the dumb Q, I'm a slow learner regarding fungi, thier seasons and quirks.
cab

starmoonlilly wrote:
What does a Blackthorn winter mean where morels are concerned? I'm sorry for the dumb Q, I'm a slow learner regarding fungi, thier seasons and quirks.

Goodness knows, morels seem to be a law unto themselves!
PeteS

starmoonlilly wrote:

The Blackthorn blossom came out down here this time last week. Traditionally this is followed by the last cold snap of winter. Of course we now have a bit of cold weather. I have been told that Morels tend to appear after the last cold period of winter, so I though I'd wait until this had passed. Anyway, this was my logic!
starmoonlilly

Ah.....ok, that makes sense I guess. Thankyou Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home