Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Jamanda

I know they're not good to eat but

just to encourage me that I'm getting the hang of this. Are these Clitocybe nebularis (clouded funnels). I suppose it's as important to be able to recognise the bad ones as the good.

The spore print isn't ready yet, but I doubt it will throw up any surprises.

bingo

I think your right. Ask JP.
cab

Thats them.

Alledgedly not good to eat, but I'd been eating them and enjoying them for years before discovering that. Still do.
Jamanda

Cheers Cab!
Sean's going to try the one thats currently being spore printed! He's so brave! Very Happy
jp

Quote:
Alledgedly not good to eat, but I'd been eating them and enjoying them for years before discovering that. Still do

I've seen loads of these things around - Bingo & I found several yesterday - but I always though they were dodgy to eat. What's the score with these things then Cab - is it just some individuals who can't tolerate them? Are they worth trying - they certainly look meaty enough?
doctoral

jp wrote:
Quote:
Alledgedly not good to eat, but I'd been eating them and enjoying them for years before discovering that. Still do

I've seen loads of these things around - Bingo & I found several yesterday - but I always though they were dodgy to eat. What's the score with these things then Cab - is it just some individuals who can't tolerate them? Are they worth trying - they certainly look meaty enough?

They are meaty enough, I just don't like them - guess it's a bit like Bingo not liking Honey Fungus ...
pizza

Phillips says said to be edible, but can cause gastric upsets. But I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else that you're really not supposed to eat them, as they are suspected to give long term problems. Sorry I can't remember the source, definitely online. Also they say it can be confused with a deadly poisonous, again my memory is rubbish.
I know because every time I find it I look it up because I like the smell and I'd like to give it a go, but I never do.
Andy of fungitobewith told me he tried it, but also advised don't do it at home.
cab

jp wrote:

You find that clouded agarics (Clitocybe nebularis) is often listed as edible in old books, but not so much in new ones. There are plenty of old timers around who still eat them, and there are certainly some websites listing it as edible.

The most authoritative comment I've encountered on this was from a toxicologist at the Society Mycologique in France. Somewhere in an old usenet posting, linking to those comments... Hold on...

(scuttles off and practices a little google-fu)

Here you go:
http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/mycology/1996-November/004865.html

So as you can see, the jury is still out (was back then anyway!). One school of thought is that they can be toxic when they're being parasitised by other fungi, another is that some people find them indigestible, and yet a third is that in some subjects a toxicity builds up with repeated exposure. This is why I don't usually reccomend others eat this one, but as I've eaten it for so many years already I rekon I'm probably not one of those subjects, and I don't think the occasional taste is likely to represent any risk.

I think they're really tasty.
cab

Also see that there have been cases of poisoning from this shroom in Switzerland, and there are some academic articles on this subject. Can't get into 'em at the moment, I'll see what I can get into tomorrow.
doctoral

cab wrote:
jp wrote:

You find that clouded agarics (Clitocybe nebularis) is often listed as edible in old books, but not so much in new ones. There are plenty of old timers around who still eat them, and there are certainly some websites listing it as edible.

The most authoritative comment I've encountered on this was from a toxicologist at the Society Mycologique in France. Somewhere in an old usenet posting, linking to those comments... Hold on...

(scuttles off and practices a little google-fu)

Here you go:
http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/mycology/1996-November/004865.html

So as you can see, the jury is still out (was back then anyway!). One school of thought is that they can be toxic when they're being parasitised by other fungi, another is that some people find them indigestible, and yet a third is that in some subjects a toxicity builds up with repeated exposure. This is why I don't usually reccomend others eat this one, but as I've eaten it for so many years already I rekon I'm probably not one of those subjects, and I don't think the occasional taste is likely to represent any risk.

I think they're really tasty.

... were there any replies to the questions on the web page? I can't find any - this mushroom may cause gastric upsets in some people, much as my OH is intolerant to shaggy parasols ... mind you, I wouldn't eat clouded agarics anyway.
skedone

according to two new books i have (well this years revision) they do and have been the cause of deathes due to a toxin building up in your body so yes u could eat quite few and be fine but then agian u could eat about 20 and die . hope that helps
jp

Think I will steer clear of them - plenty of other perfectly safe edible shrooms out there without risking the family on something potentially unpleasant...
doctoral

jp wrote:
Think I will steer clear of them - plenty of other perfectly safe edible shrooms out there without risking the family on something potentially unpleasant...

... agreed then ...
sean

I think I'll skip it then, I'm not that brave.
doctoral

Good Idea Sean,

I have just remembered what the smell of them reminds me of - chloroform.

Doctoral
doctoral

Here is some info on Nebularine, extracted from the shroom and used as an anti-cancer drug ... It's not looking to be a good eater ...

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~henrick/pims/chem/data/na068.html
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home