Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
starmoonlilly

Im growing Wood Blewits!

Woohoo!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Great find at the bottom of the garden.....Wood Blewits would you believe. And that was yesterday!

Im really excited now Very Happy Very Happy
judith

Yum! Lucky you.
dpack

nice
good fried or broken into the last half hour of a stew
jp

Jealous. Mad Really jealous. How did you do it - please don't tell me it just happened - I've been looking around my garden for Blewits but not a sign.

Jealous, really jealous.
starmoonlilly

Sorry jp, yes they just appeared.

We do have a small wood behind where we live, but I have never found any Blewits in there.

There is a pile of leaves at the bottom of the garden, mainly Pin Oak and Ash. They appeared through that lot.
cab

Thats classic wood blewit territory then, they'll love that.
starmoonlilly

Thats great news cab, so I guess anyone else wanting to grow them could gather leaves and plop them in a shady place?
cab

starmoonlilly wrote:
Thats great news cab, so I guess anyone else wanting to grow them could gather leaves and plop them in a shady place?

Can do; grass clippins and leaves make the kind of compost heap you can seed with wood blewits. The man to ask about this is Truffle.
mochyn

They just pop up here too: mainly in the ornamental borders, which makes me feel good: said borders may be ornamental in appearance, but they also host globe artichokes, herbs and , from this spring, peas and beans on wigwams.

Come to that, what else could I grow there that's pretty and edible/useful?
starmoonlilly

Sunflowers? I know they like a lot of room, but they're pretty, and seeds for you and the birdies. Also soft fruit if you have room, though they would be more a permanant feature.
mochyn

Starmoonlilly: we already do sunflowers every year: big yellow ones, smaller auburn ones... the old chap loves them. And a few yards from the borders is the fruit cage, full of raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, loganberries, gooseberries, morellos and, soon to come, blueberries! The real problem is that the veg. garden isn't big enough, so I want some ideas for 'ornamental' edible veg. And things the bees will like...
judith

Red kale, cavolo nero, that sort of thing. Lovely structural plants.
cab

mochyn wrote:

Come to that, what else could I grow there that's pretty and edible/useful?

Chard 'bright lights' or even just a yellow chard. Looks great in a border. And try purple podded or yellow podded mange tout.

As for fungi, some people seem to have great success with morels in wood chip mulch.
cab

Theres a tomato called 'variegated' which has good looking foliage. Average fruit, but fruits for a long time. Think you can get it from seeds of distinction.
mochyn

Cab: purple peas are going in there for sure: wonderful veg, and you can see what you're picking! Red and black kale, Judith: hadn't thought of them, but you're right about the plants, and chards too, Cab: really cheerful!

Off to check the seed stash...
cab

I can also reccomend a lettuce called 'freckles'. Red spots splashed about on pale green foliage, looks great and a good eater.

And a cauliflower called 'grafitti'. Grew it last year, bright purple curds.
starmoonlilly

Hmmmm these sound lurvely, Ill try some of these myself.

I can see your border is going to be so lovely Mochyn. Sorry bout my suggestions, I didnt know about your fruit cage etc. it sounds like a fab garden!
mochyn

starmoonlilly wrote:
Hmmmm these sound lurvely, Ill try some of these myself.

I can see your border is going to be so lovely Mochyn. Sorry bout my suggestions, I didnt know about your fruit cage etc. it sounds like a fab garden!

Nothing to apologise for there, Starmoonlilly! If I didn't have the cage then a few bushes etc. would be lovely additions to the borders. If you haven't looked at gooseberry (and other currant) flowers they're indignificant, although very pretty. And there are strawberries with pink flowers... I might put a thornless blackberry along the veg garden fence, though. Beautiful leaves on some of them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home