Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Springerlover

Introduce Yourself

Hi
My name is Helen I live in Essex although I'm Bath born & bred!!!
I live with my partner Scott & my 12yrold son, we have 4 dogs, 2 shepherds, a border collie & our latest addition a springer spaniel age 4mths we also have cats, various aviary birds, chickens, fish & 48 Jap Quail waiting to Hatch!!!!
Helen
tahir

Re: Introduce Yourself

Helens Quails wrote:
My name is Helen I live in Essex although I'm Bath born & bred!!!

Bet you're glad to be living somewhere decent like Essex now though...
Springerlover

It has its moments, last year when over in deepest dorset we travelled 12 miles to find the nearest cashpoint machine!!!!
Helen
tahir

Exactly
jema

Guess you'd need a couple of shepherds with that much livestock Shocked

Well i'm Martin, and the OH is Jean, which explains JeMa and a lot of confusion Embarassed

I have lived in Swindon most my life, with a few escape attempts thwarted by circumstance, not much livestock just one boy and a girl Laughing

Having waved banners on lots of things thoughout my life, which with a notably exception or three has been a pretty fruitless activity. I have started to look for areas in which a personal, practical, visible and enjoyable difference can be made Smile

Hence I'm very enthusiastic about what we are doing here at downsizer and on other forums Smile

jema
Treacodactyl

Hi I'm Treacodactyl and I'm a three and a half year old Speckled Sussex chicken. That explains my poor spelling and typing errors. Cool
alison

I am alison, mother of three, farmer, accountant, cleaner, hotelier, taxi driver...You get the picture.

We have various livestock and have various forms of accommodation offered here in North Devon. As much as possible we rear all the produce, or hand make it for the B&B as well.
bimini

Hi, I'm John. This is only my second forum. Married with kids and various livestock... 4 hens, 4 guinea pigs, a rabbit, 3 tortoises (currently asleep) and a dog (of mixed ancestry... mostly terrier). I grow as much fruit and veg as my back garden allows and enjoy foraging too. I'm looking forward to getting an allotment to increase my output. Like many people my dream is to own my own piece of land to move towards self sufficiency.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

I'm Julie and OH is Tim. He works in computers in London and is a radio amateur, I'm a homemaker, with a long list of hobbies and interests. We have 2 boys, 2 cats and 3 chickens. We have an allotment which I started off a year ago as something to get me out of the house when the youngest started school. My 'mission statement' I suppose you could say is Can I make or grow instead of buy, but we are only beginners at this. Have learnt alot even in a year and look forward to learning more, and having ago at more things. Very Happy
Gervase

I'm Gervase and my other half is Mary-Jane. We moved to a crumbling slate-built farmhouse with just over five acres just outside Cardigan in June 2004 and are currently renovating the place prior to starting a smallholding. At the moment I'm slowly slapping 11 tonnes of lime plaster on the stonework, putting up reed matting for ceilings and replacing floors, so the ground outside is lying fallow!
I'm a blacksmith by trade, having retrained a couple of years ago after spending 20 years as a journalist. M-J is a solicitor.
Livestock at the moment comprises just three cats and a 10-year-old boy, but we plan to keep a couple of weaners, some hens, a dozen sheep and cultivate half the land in rotation for crops, including running a couple of polytunnels (winds permitting - in these parts it's a major problem).
tahir

Welcome on board, sounds like you'll have a lot of great experienxces to share with us in the coming months
Mrs Fiddlesticks

how exciting Gervase! ( your website's not working by the way!)Piccies would be great!
Gervase

The website's a moot point at the moment - it's hosted with a free ISP which seems to be as reliable as Railtrack. Plans are afoot to cough up some dosh and have it properly hosted, but until then it's there in fits and starts (Grr!)
As for pix. what are the rulings on posting pix in forum messages? I don't want to hog the bandwidth...
tahir

I don't think we have any bandwidth issues, so post away
Dunc

Hi,

I'm Dunc, I'm married to Sharon and live in East Lancashire. I'm currently working as a computer programmer but I'm looking for a way out of this.
We've had an allotment for almost a year now, and have learned quite a bit - still a long way to go though.

Oh, and I'm jealous of Treodactyl because I have a picture of my halloween pumpkin too, but they thought of using theirs first. I'll have to think of another picture now. Curses Very Happy
cab

My net name is Cab. But you can call me Cab. That's what most people call me in real life, as it's derived from my initials.

I am by training a microbiolosist, I've been working at Cambridge University for five years after studying in various places. I'm a Geordie by birth and accent, a proud citizen of the Peoples Republic of Gateshead. I'm currently a bit bored with being a microbiologist and I'm looking at other options.

My better half is Ellie, she and I have been together for seven years, living together for most of that time. She tortures children by making exam papers for a living. She's a quilter, also does a bit of weaving, and won't let me clutter the house up with any more gadgets.

We get as much out of our little garden as we can, but we supplement our gardening with a lot of wild food. That's a bit of a speciality of mine. We also brew our own wine, make our own bread, and cook an a silly amount of stuff.
Sarah D

My name is Sarah, 43, married to Julian for 15 years (poor thing.......... ); two children 13 and 10 whom we home educate. Degree in politics and economics, have done dozens of different jobs, including profesional chef.
Keep 20 chickens, 11 ducks, bees,one rabbit, one dog at the moment, hoping for goats next year as Mr L said no more children, so that's his idea of a compromise.............. Laughing
Involved in several village committees, and am a Parish Councillor.
I like to make as many and as much of our own stuff as is humanly possible - cook, bake, brew (wine, beer, mead, etc), pickle,curing, sew, knit, quilt, grow fruit and veg, etc etc.
I am a professional knitter and am currently writing two books.
Lived in Dorset for 17 years, but heading back up to Scotland to my little house on the hill asap, where I will have no electricty and no running water, and two sheep.

So now you know Very Happy
jema

No electricity = nonet Shocked

jema
tahir

She could get a wind turbine from Jerome
Sarah D

By the time we get there, we will have built at least one, I hope, so will be able to do something up there. Mr L says he can see me hitching up the horse and cart and going off into town once a week to the library to use the Internet...............
I can live without the Internet, I think. I would miss it for a while, but would get much more housework done!! Laughing
tahir

Now why would you want to do MORE housework?
Sarah D

I like housework. Very Happy
tahir

I've always thought you were a little strange (a good thing in my book) but that's crazy
Dead Bloke

Hello

Hi everyone

1st things 1st - I can't spell - my username should be Dead Bloke Embarassed

I'm 38, live in Bradford West Yorkshire and have just got home after freezing my b**ls off watching Leeds hammer QPR 6-1

Heard about the site from Tahir - look forward to reading some of your posts in the future
jema

Thought you were Welsh at first Very Happy

jema
Dead Bloke

jema wrote:
Thought you were Welsh at first Very Happy

jema

less of the insults Wink
jema

egg chucker Wink

jema
Lindsay

I'm Lindsay, 33, and I have lived in the south east with my OH Mark and his children for nearly 14 years(I grew up in Suffolk). I'm a small-scale chicken breeder and domestic engineer. We have 3 chickens outdoors, 2 chicks indoors, 2 teenage sons at home and a cat.

We are doing up an old neglected Victorian house with a view to selling it in two years. In the meantime I have taken an allotment (last month) and progress on it is slow (but I'll get there in the end), and I am involved in a chicken breeding project which is divided between a friend and myself.

This year I have started hatching chicks with a home made incubator, and next year we shall be breeding our first table birds.

I have also started making wine, bread and bacon this year.
tahir

I'm Tahir, born in the east end of london in 1965. Got 3 little ladies, the oldest is 4 the youngest 6 months, the missus thinks I'm a bit weird for speaking to all these strange people on the world wide wossit. I live on the ouskirts of London and 1/3 of my modest garden is devoted to fruit & veg production (I'm a product of generations of peasant farmers) but I hope one day to leave work and get a place with some land...
Bugs

Tahir wrote:
the missus thinks I'm a bit weird

She should know - I think we should bow to her judgement on this one Laughing

I'm not telling my real name in public because I'm paranoid Shocked

I will tell you I'm er..under 30, over 16, that's as far as I'm going..OH is Treacodactyl, also of this parish, we keep three chickens and a terribly scruffy garden in suburban Surrey and one day hope to go somewhere with room for goats, dogs, donkeys...maybe pigs. We don't grow as much stuff as we'd like due to time and space problems - so pretty much like everyone else here then! That's it - writing this has brought home to me just how darn uninteresting I am Sad
tahir

Bugs wrote:
writing this has brought home to me just how darn uninteresting I am Sad

Watch it, I can get quite competitive about my boreingness
jema

Tahir wrote:
Bugs wrote:
writing this has brought home to me just how darn uninteresting I am Sad

Watch it, I can get quite competitive about my boreingness

Iv'e got a friend who is a great guy, but really could "bore for Britain". he goes underground and takes photos of old machinery, which could be more interesting than he makes it Rolling Eyes "Rivets like these stopped being made in the 1950's and were replaced by....."

jema
tahir

Sounds like my kind of guy
mrsnesbitt

I am denise, married for 16 years to Jon (who says you get less for life ie prison sentence Laughing Laughing ) I know he's joking.... Confused I have been a teacher for 25 years and have done the full promotion bit, ending up(!) as Acting Head Teacher. Decided to get out after systematic bullying in a depressive environment, where enthusiasm was frowned upon.THAT was just the staffroom, heaven help the kids!! WQent on supply, now chosing where I teach..usually go into schools in the disadvantaged areas.
Hubby has own engineering business, precision engineering, mostly tool making & modification for white good industry also does castings. I set up my own business, Living memorials as featured here, after an enquiry from a bereaved lady. Initially ddid calligraphy and art work. I do lovely christening/birth announcement stationery, weddings etc. Passionate about chutneys and pickles..may expand by using village hall for environmental reasons, but will see.
House off North York Moors, 1/3 acre plot with own paddock, stable etc. Need you guys to kick me up the **** in order to get on top of this. Keep 2 geese for grazing the paddock. Any problems with school stuff, give me a call, or anything else to do with my business. In the process of sorting out website, again keep on at me. Keen photographer, grateful to the encouragement Silas gives me.
McLay455

Hello
I am Ivan (65) and My other half is Pauline (retired). We live in the West of Scotland in an old farm cottage with our two dogs Molly and Punch/
I am a retired consultant Engineer from the computer Industry, who likes cooking/shooting/smoking food and scrounging.
Looking forward to fun on this site
Silas

Well, I'm Silas. In reality that should be Baron Silas von Greenback, after the Mike Harding character in Danger Mouse. Some people have been unkind enough to suggest that Mike based his evil charachter on me, particularly as we have the same initials.

I am a profeassional Photographer, and photograph just about anything anyone wants pictures of. Many people think that it is a glamouros occupation - it's not. Most of the time it is dead boring, like most jobs I suppose!

I am married ( 24 years to the same self sacrificing angel) Mrs Silas is a Nurse and is currently studying to be a midwife. We have two wonderful kids, Tom 14 and Annioe 12 in Feb.

I am a very mild mannered easy going person as most of you will already know. Nothing upsets me and I never lose my temper. Wink
tahir

Welcome on board you lot (even Silas Laughing )
Treacodactyl

So, Silas, in summary you're a glamour photographer? Wink
Sarah D

Maybe he's a glamourous photographer? Laughing
Silas

No. You are BOTH wrong!

Not much glamour in my life I am afraid ( apart from the delightful Mrs Silas of course)
Mrs Fiddlesticks

with all these new folk registered thought I'd bump this up so they can have a chance to introduce themselves!! Very Happy

welcome all and put it here!! hello2
bagpuss

hello, I am laura and I have decided to join have being pointed in this direction by cab, it all looks quite interesting

by day I work for a group called ensembl and we predict where genes are in an every increasing number of genomes I guess of which chickens and cows might be of most interest to people here

My two major hobbies are cooking and reading so hopefully I will beable to pick up some new and interesting ideas for food here and maybe even some interesting reading material
tahir

bagpuss wrote:
I guess of which chickens and cows might be of most interest to people here

I'm sure Lindsay would be interested in that, she's creating her own breed of chicken
bagpuss

tahir wrote:

I'm sure Lindsay would be interested in that, she's creating her own breed of chicken

what from if you know

I guess this is by breeding rather than by any fancy genetic manipulation
tahir

By breeding, I can't remember which breeds I'll PM her if i remember
cab

I had a feeling that Bagpuss had to be you!

*waves hello*
beth

the fiddlesticks crew wrote:
with all these new folk registered thought I'd bump this up so they can have a chance to introduce themselves!! Very Happy

Okay, for the record.

I'm Beth, my OH is Paul. We have a menagerie of land-rovers, Bears, computers, and a dog called Jake. We're currently building an enclosure in the garden for 2 ducks. We'd like Khaki Campbells. It was going to be chickens but one night we got talking over a glass of wine or two and both of us said we didn't actually like chickens all that much and ducks seemed more 'characterful'. We also prefer duck eggs. I also have an allotment, where I mostly grow weeds.

The allotment I've had since last spring. It came about in a roundabout way....
you could say it started on sunday 3rd feb 2002 at about 3 oclock in the afternoon. The momentous occasion was my OH's brain exploded. Well he had a hemorrhagic stroke. Although he was damn lucky and only has relatively limited ongoing problems it made us both think about what we really wanted in Life. Then in september of last year I was having problems worrying excessively about Paul, and was going down hill fast. The company I worked for was very unhelpful. So I walked out. Now I had the time, but not the money. That xmas I discovered The RCCB. By spring the garden was full of garlic, toms, and stuff I cant remember when someone suggested I should get an allotment. Despite mixed successes over the summer, I've been hooked.

Now I'm back at work in a much better company. They are really american, but due to the vagaries of business I can say I actually work for a swiss company (MIPS technologies, if any one is interested). Now I have the money but not the time. Sigh. Three days after I joined them our original dog Tilly (RIP) tipped over into terminal decline. We thought it better to ask the vet to call. So it turned out I was to rush back home hopefully before she arrived. The new company were brilliant, didn't bat-an-eyelid.

We missed Tilly soooo much that we soon went out looking for a new dog, pictures of him here: http://home.the-hug.net/photos/index.php?album=jake_20040922 and here http://home.the-hug.net/photos/index.php?album=jake_20041010

Paul, when he works, works from home, and writes database driven websites for people using his own content management engine.

Oh yes, for the 'wild food' angle I have an old HW77 air-rifle, and a much more modern Falcon FN19 with laser and night vision attachment. And have permission to hunt vermin (rabbits and rats mainly) over the allotments.

Beth
george

Hi Folks

I'm new to the forum, but it looks very interesting. My name is George and I'm lucky enough to live in a tiny little place in the far north west of Scotland about 90 miles from the nearest large town.

I've got a wife and three kids, youngest 3, oldest 11 (going on 21!) we've been living here for about 10 years now after moving up from Edinburgh.

We have just taken on a croft this year and are in the process of fencing, draining, digging, mulching etc. Pigs coming in the new year along with a few sheep and some ducks and chickens. Guess we just got fed up having to eat rubbish food so decided to grow our own.

Working through the planning permission just now so we can build a new house. Poly tunnels going up and new barn as well. All very exciting (well for us anyway).

Hope to come by here when I can - lots of interesting stuff.

George

P.S I'm fed up of b****y HFW
jema

welcome, it sounds from your post you could have a lot of articles and advice to offer us, as well as we to offer you Smile

jema
tahir

Yup, welcome on board
andrewheywood

Hi my name is Andrew Heywood, hence the user name!! I live on the Whittingehame estate here in East Lothian Scotland, tucked up in the Lammamuir hills. I live on 1 acre of land and have a 30year old orchard of apples and plums along with a large green house that has a 30year old vine which give me grapes most years.

My plan is to eat as much road kill as I can Laughing and hopfully fence off a piece of land and keep 2 pigs maybe 2005. The previous owner of this property was a Polish soldier came over in 1940 during WWII. He stayed here after the war and planted the orchard and also built a brick smoker-house here. He taught me loads about this place and showed me all the local secrets like mushroom patches (edible ones!!) etc...
Emerald

Hi all

I have just found this site through the River Cottage website link - what a great idea!

I live in Norwich in a typical detached modern property, but yearn for a little house with some land, 2 acres would do me......

I have 5 elderly persians (used to breed and exhibit until I saw sense) and a hubby who would love to live the "good life" too. I have dug up the area behind the garage to grow some veg and have invested in a greenhouse to help get things moving early on in the year. I have bought the HDRA gardening book, and with the experience of my dad's allotment when I was a child, I know, a long time ago, I hope to do some justice to the little patch out in the back!

Look forward to hearing how you all are managing to do your bit.....
jema

Welcome Smile

Hope you like it, main difference here to RC where a lot of us are major contributors, is that we are trying to build a resource based on all our experences and businesses and not simply a forum based around one mans, commerical enterprise.

So I hope our new members are checking out the menu on the left for all the goodies the site has to offer and seeing where they can chip in both to their own benefit and everyone elses Smile

jema
leebu

Not a new user (obviously!) but realised I hadn't introduced myself...which is just plain rude!
My name is Lee, I'm 32 and live in East Yorkshire having moved back here earlier this year. I am something of a new recruit to the downsizer cause having only recently realised just how much crap I was eating. Since then have made up for lost time and hope next year to be growing my own fruit and veg successfully!
Am married to Liz (for 2 long, months), and she can't understand why I sit typing to strangers at all hours. I tell her it's therapy.
jema

leebu wrote:
Not a new user (obviously!) but realised I hadn't introduced myself...which is just plain rude!
My name is Lee, I'm 32 and live in East Yorkshire having moved back here earlier this year. I am something of a new recruit to the downsizer cause having only recently realised just how much crap I was eating. Since then have made up for lost time and hope next year to be growing my own fruit and veg successfully!
Am married to Liz (for 2 long, months), and she can't understand why I sit typing to strangers at all hours. I tell her it's therapy.

No worries about being new to it all, I am still a little surprised to be here myself Very Happy

There are lots of pressures and things to be concerned about in this world after all!

But I think here a lot of people can find a lot of common ground Smile

jema
anneka

better late than never

Sorry - it didn't occour to me I was being rude - so here goes.

I'm Anneka I live in East Sussex, I am married to Mat (4.5 years) we live with his mother at the moment and are very slowly building our own home here.

I have for sometime been interested in growing my own food (I think about 6 years) anyway my friends (who are now coming round to a similar way of thinking - after all the funny, funny jokes about the good life) kept buying me river cottage cookbooks (about 5 so far - you would of though just one of them would have thought to get me the Cook on the Wildside book - but No!) which led me to the website. Which in turn brought me here.

I have a few animals 4 goats, 2 sheep (which are pets - I can't eat lamb or mutton - as a sheep exploded on me as a child), 2 Glostershire Old Spot pigs (11 weeks old) which will be eaten in the future, chickens, 3 ducks (one of which I think is going to die soon - so I may have to do the deed, but she is 7 now) and a very cantankerous old goose.

I work part-time for a nursery/landscaping company and that my veggie patch and compost heap keep me busy. I also shoot, rough for pigeons and rabbits and clays and targets at local clubs.

I have studied forestry at the local Agricultural college - though I haven't quite finished yet Shocked !

I knit and read alot, I truley love being outdoors - when I'm not here that is - and I guess thats me - Pleased to meet you all!

Anneka
tahir

leebu wrote:
she can't understand why I sit typing to strangers at all hours. I tell her it's therapy.

Ditto Laughing
Northern_Lad

Hi, my name's Andrew, I'm 28, 6 feet tall, blue eyes, brown hair and of medium build. I enjoy....

That bit is true, but I was thinking I was on a different site.

I'm generally becoming more rational in the things I consume - I only go to tesco once a month now and that's only for the kind of things that I can't get from my usual supplies (farmers markets, a local farm butcher + veg shop, and Booths supermarket for beer!)
Living alone it's quite easy food wise, but the more I look at my life the more I realise I don't need to do half the things I do - they're just habit.
mrsnesbitt

GREETINGS ANDREW... duckie duckie hello1 love1
mochyn

Hello all: I'll put a picture of something on the right when I work out how!

I am Natasha, married for 10 years to Gordon and we live in a gamekeeper's cottage not far from Lake Vyrnwy (mid-Wales) where we grow most of our own fruit & veg. and I collect edible road-kill! I design gardens and G is a scientist. we have two cats: Mrs. P and Greywacke and are expecting pigs and ducks next spring.

I do a lot of craft-work - knitting, beading, patchwork etc. and G hunts for fossils, although not too many around here, when he's not chopping wood to feed the Clearview! I'm also a bell-ringer in Llanfyllin and we both go to Welsh classses in the village. I think we originally moved here for a quiet life, but what did we know? If I want a quiet life I'll go back to London!

Life has never been better: there's no life like the good life!
Northern_Lad

Good luck with the Welsh lessons, Mochyn: one subject I could never get my head around. Best day of my educational life when we told the teacher I was leaving and didn't have to do it for the last 6 weeks of term!
tahir

mochyn wrote:
I am Natasha

Well bugger me, I always thought you were a bloke Shocked
jema

tahir wrote:
mochyn wrote:
I am Natasha

Well bugger me, I always thought you were a bloke Shocked

I am tempted to run a poll on what our demographics are?

My experience of other forums leads me to expect people are blokes unless there is evidence to the contary. But I think we are a pretty even mix here.

jema
mochyn

Laughing Laughing Laughing Tahir! And Jema, I'd assumed you were female: now I know better!
jema

mochyn wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Tahir! And Jema, I'd assumed you were female: now I know better!

Was it the beard that gave it away? Razz

jema
mochyn

He hee! I've just been trying to put up an avatar, but I think my pics are too big. Don't worry, it's not me: just some fireworks.
tahir

If you look in IT Matters there's a section of free software, there's a couple of image editing thingies that'll resize it for you
mochyn

Ta for the idiot-proof language: 'image editing thingies' is about my level! I'll have a go.
jema

Or one of us will if you get stuck Smile

jema
mochyn

Tahir: going back a few, I spent a while wondering why you called yourself after a middle-sized mammal before I realized you were TaHir not TaPir! And you thought it was sonfusing getting the wrong sex...
tahir

Laughing
hardworkinghippy

I’ve just had a good look around this forum. It’s very nice, & I’ve just joined so I’d like to introduce myself.

I was born and educated in Scotland, lived in the Midlands, for a while, then Essex (Woodford & Theydon Bois) for about 16 years, and I’ve lived in France for the past 14 years.

In a previous life, I managed a small group of 22 Management and Organisation Development consultants. I sold the firm to travel for year or so, take stock of myself, then “settle down”.

Although I’ve always had livestock, I’d never been able to afford to live my dream of having a real farm. Moving here made that possible. Fabrice (my partner) is French; much younger than me and we’ve been together 13 years. Together, we run an Angora goat farm and we have sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks etc. We eat mostly things we grow, rear or hunt. We’re both passionate about animal liberty and nature conservation.

Fabrice is the village gamekeeper, a registered trapper, a pyro-technician, a stonemason, the deputy mayor of our village, and on loads of committees (water quality, forest fire prevention etc.) and is qualified as the Chef de Battu for wild boar and deer. He also hunts small game for the pot in his spare time. Wink

I don’t hunt, but I do all the gardening, designing houses, communicating with people and money stuff. After spending a few years really just not being in contact with the outside world, getting our goat herd sorted out, working on the farm and building somewhere to live, I wanted to work at a “real” job to improve my French, and to get some of my self confidence and social skills back.

So I taught in an Agricultural college for three years, and since handing in my notice (with regret, because I really enjoyed it!) for the past two I’ve run courses and residential workshops for their mature students here on our farm. This year they have just renewed the contract, plus given me carte blanche to do a week-long course on almost anything I want. I'd like to develop the "workshop" side of things here and spend less time doing physical work because I'm starting to feel sorry for myself too often these days. Confused

We’ve restored and built several (about 7) properties over the past 13 years. We now live in our latest (and last!) house started 5 years ago – which we use to show people low impact technology in practice. Green housing and sacred architecture are two of my passions. I also love textiles and knit, dye and design clothing and furnishings made from our Angora wool. I adore gardening, building and making things.

Here are some links to pics of some of our projects:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/gallery/hfproject

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/gallery/hwh_newbuild

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/gallery/cabin

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/gallery/album01

We should have a website sometime in the Spring. I may not have the time to post very often, but I’ll do my best to be a valuable contributor.

A very Happy New Year to everyone who cares about the important things in life!

hardworkinghippy
jema

Sounds like you will have a lot to say that others here will want to know Smile

Welcome aboard Smile

jema
Treacodactyl

Welcome hardworkinghippy

An especially interesting post for me and my OH as we considering moving to France to look for a smallholding. Luckily she can speak French which will be a great help. Very Happy

It's been quite difficult to track down answers to some of the questions we have so we'll be keeping out and eye for your posts.

Without being too specific where abouts are you based?

Welcome.and happy New Year! Very Happy
tinyclanger

Hi,
I've been on here since just before Christmas so applogies for the late introduction Very Happy
I recon it's really cool here, lovely people and lots of interesting stuff.

A bit about me...

I was born in Lancashire, lived in Scotland, the Lake District and Cheshire as a kid as my dad worked for ICI and British Nuclear Fuels...hmmm, but always in the countyside so I had a great childhood. Moved to Bristol in 1987 to go to college and live in a city and generally party on. Had a cool time in Bristol and fell in love with a biker man...mmm, leathers, long blonde hair, he's sat on the sofa at the mo with a beer.
After college I floated about workwise for a couple of years trying to find something to be passionate about, I temped in various boring office jobs whilst volunteering in charity shops, organising festivals, free parties and fighting a supermarket developement threatening the last undeveloped,open green space in north bristol (still smarts after 13 years). Then whilst at Ashton Court Festival I met a man with a lorry full of aluminium cans which he was collecting for recycling, the light dawned, and I joined Avon Friends of the Earth as a volunteer recycling collector, collecting recycling on the streets of Bristol. I got a full time job and found a passion and loads of friends all over the UK.
My man and I moved to a little village outside of Bristol about 7 years ago and I moved recycling depots, helping to set up the 1st heavy horse recycling project in the country with a pair of Percherons. I qualified as a class 2 driver and a health and safety officer and in 2002 I was given the oportunity to set up and run my own recycling project. So off I went and set up kerbside recycling in Mendip, part of Somerset. Lorries, staff, boxes....lots of hard work, but now Somerset is the third best recycling county in the UK!!
I have recently handed it all over to a lovely lady who will carry on where I left off and love and appreciate my staff like I did. I am now due to start at Mendip District Council as a Waste Management Officer on the 4th of January and I have loads of ideas for new projects to do with waste minimisation and recycling, it's just so exciting!!.
I also love to eat and cook well, which brought me to this fab site, and generally I want to live more sustainably. There is one thing I do regret.....not being able to cycle to work anymore, but I am planning to dig up the garden to grow veggies. I am also in the process of doing an Environmental Studies degree with the Open University, only seven more years to go!
So Hiya to you all and I hope to pop in on a regular basis.

Tiny Very Happy
tahir

Thanks for registering HWH, I'm sure you're going to love it here. I went to school in Woodford Green, never lived there though.
hardworkinghippy

Thanks Tahir, (I thought you'd like the Essex bit!)

We live between Bergerac and Périgeuex in the Dordogne. I chose the Dordogne because the climate is very good for gardening and the seasons are still very distinct. We ate our last aubergines last week, and I've still lots of pumkins and peppers in store. Smile

HWH
Yoga Girl

Hello all I'm quite new to this forum.

I'm Linda, live in Staffordshire, with husband, 2 children under 4, 2 cats (was 3 until recently Crying or Very sad ) and 2 dogs.

My goal for this year is to dig up even more of my garden to grow more veg and to try to persuade my little boy not to eat ALL of the tomatoes out of the greenhouse in one go.
Behemoth

How rude - I haven't done my bit - and I feel like mad old Jack in the corner ranting everynow and then, although I'm not that old just mid 30's but with a certain boyish charm I'm told.

Brought up in Leeds, Uni in Newcastle, then a bit of travelling and casual work in US, Europe and far East. Poverty brought me back to Leeds and my first job working for the water regulator. Couple of years in Birmingham and then back to Leeds having turned poacher with a water company where I still am. Enjoyed travelling and long holidays abroad until house purchase and major renovation; baby and marriage stopped all that fun. Sadly our first child died whe she was nearly one, which puts a lot of things in perspective and gets you thinking about things. The result has been a career change for my wife, who I'm supporting fianncially through my dull job and when she's established it'll be my turn; and a gradual move down the 'river cottage' road with getting an allotment and more ethical buying of food and other goods, chooosing not to consume, and stopping to watch the clouds go by. The eventual goal is to get a house with a garden big enough to support us with fruit and veg, doing jobs that week like full ot part time and very distant goal of the smallholder lifestyle. All this is enlivened and complicated by the gorgeousness that's our second daughter, Lily, who's just 14months old.
tahir

Welcome on board Yoga Girl, hope you enjoy it here.
mochyn

Behenoth: what were you doing in Birmingham? I only ask because you're in the water industry and my old chap did the B'ham Uni hydrogeology Msc.
Behemoth

Working for Ofwat whose HQ is there - I asked for a sabatical to go do the Water Resource Management MSc at B'ham but work said they coudn't see the benefit of it Shocked One year later they were recruiting 'specialists' directly from it and paying them more. It's one reason why I left.
mochyn

Pity you couldn't do it: he had enormous fun on his course! And, of course, it allowed him then to move to Shropshire (home of 99.999999% of all hydrogeologists in the world) where we met! So all round a good choice. I suspect there are other people in the water industry hiding on this site...
ian

hi...my name is Ian..

I've just gone screaming past the 30y barrier and honestly I have no hangups about it at all !!

grew up in lincolnshire, although a Yorkshire man by birth. Came to London for university and to fulfil my dreams. been here for 10 years and realised recently that my dreams have changed!!! Aching to get back to the fresh air and countryside, hills and the dales.

Question I currently struggling with is when and how. How long do I stick it out in the smoke, my career has gone pretty well and I've got to decide whether to take an in between step and commute into town (job can't move from London unfortunately) or whether to bin it...or whether tostay in town for another 5years and give it my all, before throwing it in....

decisions decisions.....

Anyway, i came to the site through Hugh's, like many people here. Do i consider myself a sucker for mass marketed TV, no I don't think so, I actually thank him for opening my eyes once more.

I love cooking, which is good for my flatmates, and their food has gone thorough the roof in terms of quality which is good for them, shame the don't 'get' the rest of it. I'm working on them. I've got a great farmers market nearby and a fantastic butcher. but getting to the is a bitch...work sucks up my time, and since opening my eyes, boy do i feel guilty using supermarkets in the slightest. unfortunately as a single working man, i have to fend for myself....I try..honestly I do.

no animals, no pets (wouldn't be fair in central london)...no alotment, almost no chance of getting one...waiting list etc.

here to learn, dream and keep my feet on the ground.
pleasure to be involved. Laughing
jema

ian wrote:

Question I currently struggling with is when and how. How long do I stick it out in the smoke, my career has gone pretty well and I've got to decide whether to take an in between step and commute into town (job can't move from London unfortunately) or whether to bin it...or whether tostay in town for another 5years and give it my all, before throwing it in....

That is the big question isn't it. I used to debate that one myself until the company made my mind up for me Rolling Eyes But whilst I have a decent liefstyle, the idea had been to stick it out until the income from London gave me the financial ability to live the dream, and in many ways that is the pragmatic attitude to take, if each day in the smoke is a day towards a dream, it becomes a positive thing.

jema
Gervase

It tends to take something dramatic to shake the tree and make you move. With me it was starting a business which then crashed and burned - leaving me fortunate enough to have no job to whch I had to commute!
It was the most liberating experience, however, and I had no problems resisting the siren blandishments of my old industry to return to the fold.
Instead I decided that it was time to be selfish, so took advantage of my unemployed status to retrain (at zilch cost to myself) at agricultural college.
If the career is going well, however, the fur-lined manacles may seem just a bit too comfortable!
tahir

I know how you feel Ian, welcome on board.
Behemoth

Any newbies want to introduce themselves?
Welcome aboard.
Very Happy
wildberries

I have just found the introduce yourself page although I registered in early january. I have enjoyed the info gleaned and has brought many a laugh on some of the forums.i am known as a crinkly teenager in this area. We enjoy fishing and photography. my son's shoot for our supply of venison etc for sausage/burger making. oh is into this department and into parma ham making etc. we enjoy growing herbs and small amount of goods that we dry or freeze to keep us going over winter.we also enjoy forageing for our fruit for wine making.we enjoy life at a reduced pace so to speak.
Blacksmith

Hi all, I'm Dave. I'm 46. Married to Sharon for 20 years, we have 2 kids.
I'm the shift enginer in a factory, I spent a few years working as a service engineer in the oil business in Europe, the far east and North sea oil fields.
Have been tracing my family tree recently,
my paternal side of the family have been in engineering, iron moulders in industrial Lancashire since at least 1813, my maternal side from Middlesex/ Surrey have been gardeners and Ag Labs !I think my maternal side is " rising to the surface" Very Happy
My small veg garden at home got grassed over last year Crying or Very sad and i miss the enjoyment of growing my own veg, i am teetering on the edge of an allotment( gis a push someone ! )
We live on the edge of a large housing estate, next to some wonderfull lakes and reedbeds.
I like gardening, walking, making home made wine, restoring things,from my 1981 Range Rover to bootsale clocks and making ornamental ironwork ( hence the nickname)
Going to work less overtime (at least one day off a week) buy a new air rifle to go vermin shooting with, ENJOY MYSELF !and look forward to advice and experience from this site,
Cheers and ATB, Dave.
jema

Blacksmith wrote:

Have been tracing my family tree recently,
my paternal side of the family have been in engineering, iron moulders in industrial Lancashire since at least 1813,

That sounds like an impressive length of time to manage to trace back?

jema
Rob R

Laughing
moogie

I'm Georgina (also George), live up a valley near Bridgend although originally from Bristol via Cornwall.

Its just me, my 2 cats and my fish... oh and all my plants Laughing I'm a botanist, just finishing my PhD, and I specialise in herbs.

Its great to know a bit more about every one - especially real names - I certainly thought a few people were girls who aren't, and vice versa!! Embarassed
jema

moogie wrote:
I certainly thought a few people were girls who aren't, and vice versa!! Embarassed

I keep meaning to put a poll up, as unusually for a forum I think it is mostly girls on here, I know my nickname confuses, but try and make up for that with a big beardy avatar Very Happy

jema
sugarplumhalle

Halle... Used to live in Norway with goats, sheep, chickens, dogs and we actually were pretty self sufficient. Alas, i am now back in mid city hell with a tiny yard and missing my animals and my farm Sad

Have just got hold of an allotment though and looking for my Mr Right who has a large farm where i can have pigs, goats etc. (wishful thinking!)

Work in the medical field and am 23, currently obsessed with Gardening and growing my own veg and knitting.

Halle x
tahir

sugarplumhalle wrote:
currently obsessed with Gardening and growing my own veg and knitting.

Hmm... don't know whether you'll fit in here Laughing
Rob R

sugarplumhalle wrote:
Work in the medical field and am 23, currently obsessed with Gardening and growing my own veg and knitting.

Nothing at all wrong with a knitting obsession Very Happy I know a little place you can get some very nice 100% natural wool Wink
tahir

Laughing
Lloyd

Cool Consider yourself "pulled", Halle! Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome Page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Home Home Home Home Home