Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Gavin Bl

jack by the hedge

Hi
This stuff growing near us, with nettles and wild garlic - I've seen it on websites before, then noticed it looked rather like the jack by the hedge on the 'wild plants' thread today.

What do you reckon, is that what this is?

They are standing singly, say 1-2ft high, with one big leaf at each level, almost stacked up one above the other.

cheers
Gav
tahir

Looks like the stuff to me, what do the crushed leaves smell like? Should be mustardy
Jamanda

Look here It should have little white flowers soon.
Gavin Bl

tahir wrote:
Looks like the stuff to me, what do the crushed leaves smell like? Should be mustardy

thanks, a faint oniony peppery smell, I guess - so yes mustardy!

Jamanda wrote:
It should have little white flowers soon.

if you look closely there are two small flowers already open, and buds too.

thanks for the input folks.... Smile
cab

Almost certain that its jack by the hedge. Now you've seen it, it'll be a doddle to identify. Better eating before the flowers open, but give it a little taste; it might be a little bitter now, but imagine it rather less bitter but still with a lovely garlicy, mustardy flavour... then imagine it with sorrel, rocket and a good lettuce, drizzled with a little olive oil Smile
Gavin Bl

cheers cab, the flowers are only just opening, so I think I'll give it a go - its a great patch, a very non-descript path behind a leisure centre - has loads of wild garlic, nettles, and now- jack by the hedge!
Jamanda

Gavin Bl wrote:
cheers cab, the flowers are only just opening, so I think I'll give it a go - its a great patch, a very non-descript path behind a leisure centre - has loads of wild garlic, nettles, and now- jack by the hedge!

Make sure you get the higher leaves. Above dog hind leg height if you get my meaning.
doctoral

all the flowers are open around my way now, but I collected some wild garlic leaves which were excellent in a salad ...
PeteS

Hi,

Garlic Mustard - I find that the new leaves near the flow heads better than when the plant is young. I also like the flowers - you don't need many as they have a really nice, strong mustard/pepper taste.

I made an excellent pesto using wild garlic. I am going to try a pesto made from Garlic Mustard. I have a feeling that it could be good.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home