Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
skedone

just a hello post and some advice

hi everyone i found this site by accident in a post in rogermushrooms website and i have got to say this site is amazing u seem like a really nice buch of people(hard to find a forum like this now days and i know i run a few)

my question is this i live in essex rayliegh to be presise and have been having some luck in my local area finding a few types of belotes and some nice size parasols plus some other stuff but what i would like to know is there anyone in my area going for a bit of a forage soon as i would love to hook up and do this with someone who knows a bit more than me . i have only got into this in the last 6 mounth and was amazed at what is out there that u can eat , i have some books on the subject like field guide to edible mushrooms of britain and europe,both of roger phillips books,mushrooms demystified,food for free and fungi just to name a few.

if there is know one willing to meet up with me can u tell me any good areas local to me

p.s @ nettle that forey u went on was in in langdon hill (marks hill nature reserve) as i bumped in to a groupe there buy accident
nettie

Hi there!

Sorry, can't help you with the foraging as am in the throes of moving house so am a bit up to my eyes in it! There's usually forays at Thorndon Park in Brentwood, not sure when they are but they're very good Smile
skedone

thanks for the reply nettie so i gues that was not u i was talk to then at that forey lol oh well

any advice would be great guys just some good locations would be nice
Bernie66

Greetings my friend, can't help you myself either, bit far to travel. But welcome to our site anyway Smile
hedgehogpie

Hi, I'm wrong side of the River to help you much, but these may be of interest & will get you out and about on more guided forays while you find your feet.

Sun 22 Oct Fungi Foray - Epping Forest
Meet the Forest fungi first hand! Led by Tricia Moxey and Warden Brian McGhie, lots of good specimens are promised! Meet: 10:30 am at NR entrance at Coopersale.
For more information telephone Tricia Moxey on (01277) 364522

Sun 22 Oct Fungi Foray at Friday Woods - Colchester Essex
Led by Ian Rose - Donation 1 per adult. Meet Bounstead Road car park at 2.00 pm (Map ref TL 986 209)
For more information telephone Daphne Davis on 01621 862973

Essex wildlife trust have quite a few listings for events, you should find their webby easily by googling it.
nettie

Ah yes, Essex Wildlife Trust do the Thorndon Park one. It's all coming back to me now Very Happy
Pilsbury

Skedone, im quite local to you and would also love to find a forage buddy or two but afraid i cant help you on the mushroom front as i dont like them but if you are up for a forage in general PM me and we can meet up if you want.
My dad was actually telling me about langdon hill tonight and i have been to thorndon a few times so would be interested in company if you like.
steve01

i live in cambridge and often foray in thetford forest not sure how far that would be for you but could meet up if wanted.
thursday found ceps, bays, parasols, saffron milk caps,ink caps, amathist decievers also walnuts and chestnuts
skedone

thanks for the advice guys and gals and i will be sending some PM shortly , i will look up the thetford forest and see how far it is away from me
doctoral

Mushrooms in Essex

Mad I have just come across from http://www.rogersmushrooms.com because the 'Talk Mushrooms' page was not able to hold a standard picture of a mushroom without referencing it to another internet page - they appear to have loads of other problems too. However I will say that Roger Phillips book is the best I have seen to date on the subject although I agree about referencing against several books before giving a definitive ID.

The best place I have found in Essex is Epping Forest.
tahir

Re: Mushrooms in Essex

doctoral wrote:
The best place I have found in Essex is Epping Forest.

That's a blinking long way from you isn't it?

Welcome both. The National Trust also do some fungi forays, worth checking their site.
doctoral

Not as far as USA, but I have been foraying there, too Wink
tahir

doctoral wrote:
Not as far as USA, but I have been foraying there, too Wink

Is it a big thing over there?
Pilsbury

doctoral wrote:
Mad The best place I have found in Essex is Epping Forest.

But if i recall you need a licence to forage there now with fines for anyone caught taking anything without one.
skedone

lol yeah epping is a bit far but i tell u what i have just got back with over atleast 40 bay , 6 cep and 6 parasols 40 amythist deciever, also i have found alot of mycena pura and was wondering can someone help me as in three books they say edible and 2 say inedible/edible(rogers books) but in my field guide to edible mushrooms of britain and europe it states that they were once thought to be edible but have now been found to have strong hallucinatory propertise so could u help me out guys are they edible or tripy
skedone

Pilsbury wrote:
doctoral wrote:

But if i recall you need a licence to forage there now with fines for anyone caught taking anything without one.

did u mean epping or america
tahir

Epping I believe
skedone

really were do u get a licence from ? any ideas guys and were do i check if i need one in my area i have just been asking grounds men
cab

I've only heard of licensing for foraging in Epping Forest.
hedgehogpie

Snipped from the City of London Epping Forest web page -

"Wildlife and conservation. The Epping Forest management team has the task of maintaining the natural habitats developed over more than 1,000 years of use by people and their grazing animals. Birds in residence include all three species of woodpecker, plus nightingales, hawfinch, tree creepers and nuthatches, with great crested grebe, gadwall, goosander and widgeon among the waterfowl enjoying over 80 artificial ponds and lakes in the Forest. Flora is similarly diverse, with some 650 plant species including 50 types of trees and large shrubs. In addition, with over 1,500 species of fungi and more than 500 rare and endangered insects the Forest is one of the richest and scientifically most important sites in the UK."

Applications for a fungus licence (ie for picking fungi) can be made to the Visitor Centre, Tel 020 8508 0028 or by email:
epping.forest@cityoflondon.gov.uk
Pilsbury

Yep thats the bit Smile
doctoral

Pilsbury wrote:
doctoral wrote:

Yeah, but they've got to catch you first Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home