Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
dpack

lightning conductors

im on top of a tower
we do get hit
a metal thief has had about a foot from the lower end of two out of three
i am in a thunder cloud right now
should i worry ?
vegplot

Lighting hits tower, tower collapses you fall to ground in clound of rubble. Could be painful.

If lightning can jump severla hundred feet from ground to cloud then a foot ot two of conducto isn't going to prevent quite a large charge from crossing the gap. Should make your hair stand on end.
dpack

umm hair Shocked
RichardW

The conductor is to save the tower (and other items in the area)not you.

Richard
dpack

theres comforting
1/3 to earth is probably ok
better than sitting on the rope in the rain
Laughing
vegplot

Is this a dream or have you got wireless?
dpack

im wired up to cable and indoors ,i have done sit on the rope in rain in other places
at the momenti am in in the bottom end of a thunderhead running over the hills and heading east down the valley
awesome rain and my whiskers are extra fluffed
dpack

that was an interesting half hour
in one and two air bridges i put my trust
Laughing
derbyshiredowser

I did lightening protection as part of my job and we had vast amounts of documentation showing that a strike on a building actually has a ball like effect and the strike rolls down to the ground jumping the last bit of the conductor. At this point in time I can't remember how the calculation was done with regards to the ball diameter, you should be Ok theoretically .
dpack

im in a cloud again and well ...
vegplot

derbyshiredowser wrote:
I did lightening protection as part of my job and we had vast amounts of documentation showing that a strike on a building actually has a ball like effect and the strike rolls down to the ground jumping the last bit of the conductor. At this point in time I can't remember how the calculation was done with regards to the ball diameter, you should be Ok theoretically .

Any takers to test the theory?
derbyshiredowser

Over a period of years we renewed the overhead telephone feed to a Peak District vicar six times all due to severe lightening strikes. What I thought was funny that he was annoyed at us for the faults and not his boss.
dpack

Laughing
out of the cloud again
seriously is 1 out of 3 enough for lightening conductors
Jamanda

I don't know. but I like a good storm. They have better ones in Yorkshire.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home