Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Low Emission Zone (LEZ)

I'm not sure how widely known this is but London and the surrounding area now has a Low Emission Zone (LEZ). It seems to have crept in and will gradually cover more types of vehicles over the next few years.

I'm not sure of all the details but one thing has cropped up that seems worth mentioning. From October 2010 even vehicles such as Landrover Defender TDis seem to be caught buy the regs. Doesn't sound too bad but the charge for driving even a single mile within the majority of the area inside the M25 is.... 100 a day!!!!

Now I agree that a 4x4 might not be the best vehicle for driving around London but there's still plenty of countryside within the M25 and builders merchants, markets etc where a Landie will be very useful.

Anyway, without going in for a full rant I thought it would be useful to point out in case the scheme is expanded to other parts of the country or in case people who aren't aware of the LEZ decide to take a trip into London.

Only some, mainly older, vehicles are affected and in theory you can fit something to reduce the emissions to a vehicle that is caught although at the moment this seems very expensive.

More details here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx
Northern_Lad

I thought you only got charged if you hadn't had the vehicle checked, or if it did not meet the requirements?
Green Man

Although I am not a fan of 4x4 over use, I can see that it would be environmentally unfriendly for those that need them, to have to have another car for town. This could be construed as a tax on country folk. Our taxes and rates go to pay for the cities too, and the capital is ours as well. It seems strange to me that I could enter London via an aeroplane at the Docklands Airport and pay less tax than somebody entering with a LR Disco.
JB

The only reference I could find to increasing the vehicles covered was from the daily mail so isn't authoritative but it says ...

Quote:
October 2010 when it will cover everything from large vans and minibuses, to diesel-powered motor homes and horse boxes


which suggests that your land rover TDi wouldn't be affected. Was a bit of a shock I don't often drive inside the M25 but did so recently and promptly saw a sign saying something along the lines of "use next exit to avoid low emission zone charging". Not unreasonably my immediate question was what on earth is that about? It's not very obvious to anyone from outside on London what they're up to this time.
Treacodactyl

JB wrote:
The only reference I could find to increasing the vehicles covered was from the daily mail so isn't authoritative but it says ...

Quote:
October 2010 when it will cover everything from large vans and minibuses, to diesel-powered motor homes and horse boxes


which suggests that your land rover TDi wouldn't be affected. Was a bit of a shock I don't often drive inside the M25 but did so recently and promptly saw a sign saying something along the lines of "use next exit to avoid low emission zone charging". Not unreasonably my immediate question was what on earth is that about? It's not very obvious to anyone from outside on London what they're up to this time.


It's not obvious to people living in or near the LEZ, I don't think I've received any info about it from the government.

The Landrover magazines I've looked at recently seem convinced many of the older diesels will be hit. Looking at the LEZ site is says "Large vans: Diesel-engined vehicles between 1.205 tonnes unladen and 3.5 tonnes". I wouldn't say a 90 is a 'large van' but it's over 1.2 tonnes. Confused
Silas

Well are you for it or against?

Or is it a moral maze?
Nick

Clearly reducing emissions is a good thing, but it looks like its badly implemented.
Treacodactyl

Nick wrote:
Clearly reducing emissions is a good thing, but it looks like its badly implemented.


Yep. IMHO the LEZ seems badly and very unfairly implemented, targeting just a single group of people again.

You can still have hugely polluting bonfires or have a diesel vehicle that's marginally inside the bands and not pay a penny.
JB

Treacodactyl wrote:
The Landrover magazines I've looked at recently seem convinced many of the older diesels will be hit. Looking at the LEZ site is says "Large vans: Diesel-engined vehicles between 1.205 tonnes unladen and 3.5 tonnes". I wouldn't say a 90 is a 'large van' but it's over 1.2 tonnes. Confused


The same reference I found for the above also said that cars would not be covered, even after 2010. So I suppose it would depend whether you class a landrover as a car or a van.
Green Man

Or the CO2 emitted heating huge glass palace city office blocks to 20degrees, or heating shops with doors wide open. Out latest Tesco 24 that opened up here does not have doors, just a roller to shut on Christmas Day. Mad Mad
Nick

I had exactlt the same thought, but to be fair, that is very hard to control via traffic cameras. Smile
Treacodactyl

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Or the CO2 emitted heating huge glass palace city office blocks to 20degrees, or heating shops with doors wide open. Out latest Tesco 24 that opened up here does not have doors, just a roller to shut on Christmas Day. Mad Mad


It's not about CO2 but other emissions. So a V8 doing 10mpg doesn't pay the charge. But you're right, I gather incinerators and factories aren't covered.
RichardW

Not sure which forum it was on but this has been covered before & its down to a lot of landrovers being incorectly registered as not being cars. You need to check your reg documents to make sure it is registered properly as a car. The regs come in later for cars.

Justme
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home