Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
sgt.colon

Mistletoe

I'm on the scrounge.

Does anybody have mistletoe growing on one of their trees that they could please send me in February next year? I'm just after the fruit/seeds.

I'd like to get some going on my apple tree.

I'm happy to pay the postage.

Thanks. Smile
gregotyn

A question, are the mistletoe berries, that we get rid of on 12th night, any good to you?
sgt.colon

Yes they would be please Greg. Smile
Nick

Most of my orchard is overrun with the sodding stuff. How many trunkers would you like?
sgt.colon

Well I would just like enough to get some going on one apple tree please Nick. I think the guide said to have quite a few berries, so just use your judgement please.

Thanks. Smile
gregotyn

Nick wins as he has the stock at home, I don't. But I have a friend who does!
Shan

If Nick forgets, let me know and I'll send you some.
sgt.colon

Thanks Shan and Greg. Smile
Nick

Nudge me closer the time and it’s yours.
sgt.colon

I will do. Thank you Nick. Smile
sgt.colon

A big thank you Nick for sending the mistletoe seeds. I really appreciate it. Very Happy
dpack

Cool
Nick

De nada.
sgt.colon

It looks like the mistletoe is taking Nick Smile If I get down the allotment this weekend I'll do you a picture.
Nick

That would be great. Unless it’s Saturday. Sunday would be far better, tbh. Nothing personal you understand.

Saturday is naked gardening day.
dpack

Laughing

tis a bit blustery and cold for such frivolity round here at the mo, the young and impressionable sparrows might be a little shocked and the bramble has all manner of bitey, toxic wee critters as well as spines.
Shan

That would be great. Unless it’s Saturday. Sunday would be far better, tbh. Nothing personal you understand.

Saturday is naked gardening day.

Poor neighbours.
Shan

None of us want photos.
Mistress Rose

Laughing
buzzy

None of us want photos.

We do, however, want the mind bleach.

Henry
Shan

None of us want photos.

We do, however, want the mind bleach.

Henry
I doubt there's enough bleach in the world.
Nick

Poor Sgt Colon. sgt.colon

Unprovoked attack if you ask me.

What is it they say DPack? The early bird catches the worm. Laughing

Here you go Nick, as promised. Very Happy

All four of the seedlings on that branch are like that.
Nick

Excellent. If it fails, let me know. I’m over run with the bloody stuff. Shan

....soon Sgt. Colon will be run over with the stuff.... Rolling Eyes sgt.colon

Thanks Nick I will do. Smile

I'll keep on top of it Shan. I'm guessing it's not going to jump from one branch to another?
Shan

Branch to branch... tree to tree.... somehow it spreads like wildfire. dpack

iirc the sticky seeds travel on as well as in birds buzzy

iirc the sticky seeds travel on as well as in birds

When I was young I was always told that it spread by birds wiping their sticky beaks on branches, but perhaps people were being too coy to say "It spreads in s**t"!

Henry
Nick

It spreads. Branch to branch and tree to tree. Birds. Squirrels. Gravity. Whatever. If conditions are right, it’s a proper weed. buzzy

But at least a weed you can sell one month in the year Very Happy

Henry
dpack

i have just realised i know quite a few ancient and elderly apple trees and cannot think of any in this area with mistletoe on them.

distribution linky

nick is in the middle of the densest distribution so "over run " seems normal for there and where i am has almost none on the map.

we do have overwintering blackcaps so that along with a bit warmer might make it more common.

as we have a well established old tree flora and fauna i think i will give introduction a miss and let any changes happen without help.
Nick

Oh. For sure. It’s one of Herefordshire’s routine cash crops. Massive markets for it from late October onwards. It thrives in our old orchards of apples. Slightly less so in pears I think. dpack

my chum from hudds used to be sent by his mum to the family hovel with an orchard in normandy every late november to fill a van with clippings to pay for the family christmas.

if you have plenty of berries at the right time it is a good cash crop, perhaps even better than the apples for the effort involved.

apples = a fair bit of work over the year

mistletoe = a couple of days cutting and a few phone calls

i was quite surprised at the price they got especially if the uk domestic crop was berry light that year.
Nick

No phone calls. Cut and take it to the market. dpack

very easy Cool sgt.colon

I can't think that in my 48 years of living up north that I have ever seen any mistletoe growing on a tree.

Maybe I'm going to make my millions in a few years. Laughing
dpack

i dont remember any in london or more than a couple of examples in the south east that i saw in 14 yrs . Shan

Damn stuff has completely killed 3 apple trees and is steadily spreading through the trees along our mill race. Mistress Rose

I know of a few trees with mistletoe, but it isn't common in the south and south east. Nick

Well. We have tons. If anyone wants, I’m happy to spread my seed around.

As it were.
Lorrainelovesplants

We have loads in poplars about 30 minutes north, but havnt seen any where we are in S Dordogne. I did buy some and tried the berries last March but nothing.
The gypsies stand outside the supermarkets here the week before Christmas selling it for 5 euros for a tiny sprig. No one buys it - they hate the gypsies here.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home