Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Dee J

Modified Raburn

Hi

I'm buying an old solid fuel Rayburn Royal fitted with a (non Rayburn) high output boiler. Buying from a company near Redruth. Anybody got any experience of these sort of modifications - does it adversely affect the capacity of the firebox / fueling cycle / overnight burning?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Dee
countryman

Whats the company name? I live near Redruth, is it FT Massie?
My parents had a Rayburn with a high output wrap around boiler, still do actually, dont think there are any drawbacks. They live in a big old farmhouse with a dozen or more radiators and it heats that comfortably.
RichardW

Tell me more?

I could do with one of them.

Can you DIY fit?

Justme
bluebell

Quote:
Justme

Can you DIY fit?

Yes!

When I had an old Rayburn I was looking into this, although I no longer have the details of the company who made the boilers
Treacodactyl

No idea about the Rayburn but I did read a comment about wood fired boilers that makes sense. The more heat you take out of the fire box, i.e. via the boiler, might mean the Rayburn takes longer to come up to temperature and it might use more fuel, after all the extra heating energy has to come from somewhere.
Dee J

These are the people... http://www.agarayburncookers.co.uk/ Yes it will be a DIY install but as part of some building control notified work (not sure if thats an absolute requirement).

Happy New Year

Dee
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home