just south of cambridge
hardworkinghippy

You lucky thing... Smile
bingo

Miles away
steve01

photo as promised
Went

In what sort of habitat do morels grow? Woodland, damp, dark, banks, open???

They say they are very difficult to find.
starmoonlilly

Ooh how gawjus dahling, lucky lucky you Very Happy Very Happy
bingo

Very well done.
I have never found Morels, always on the lookout.

dpack

yumm
Stewy

Nice find's Steve, what sort of habitat did you find them in?
steve01

scrubby woodland various different trees underlying chalk
bingo

Did you find more?
Stewy

Think I'll have a mooch next weekend, any St Georges finds yet anyone?
bingo

Haven't really had a lookbut I would think they will be a couple of weeks yet.
cab

steve01 wrote:
just south of cambridge

Shocked

Well done you!

I don't suppose you'd consider a swap, a bottle of homebrew booze for a few good morels? I haven't found morels in ages.
Stewy

I'm sure I heard that Bluebell woods are a good bet, any truth in that?
steve01

cab will go out wednesday if i find any will be a pleasure to swap will let you know
cab

steve01 wrote:
cab will go out wednesday if i find any will be a pleasure to swap will let you know

Good man Smile

You rekon I'd have any luck morel hunting at Wandlebury?
steve01

thats very close good guess
cab

steve01 wrote:
thats very close good guess

Heck, the last thing that I'd do would be move in on another foragers patch Laughing Its just that Wandlebury is about as far as I normally cycle when out for a lunchtime ride, so I thought it might be a good spot to try.
jp

Quote:

Verrrrry interesting - sounds just like a wood I know not far from me. Methinks I will take a look asap. Nice finds Steve01.
Stewy

Shocked

http://www.thegreatmorel.com/mush/pic26.html
bingo

Stewy wrote:
Shocked

http://www.thegreatmorel.com/mush/pic26.html

Bloody Hell.
zigs

FCUK me eric, thats a mushroom !
sean

You'd need a big piece of toast.
mimborin

No wonder the guy looks so pleased. That is some find!
steve01

more morels cab let me know if you want some im in stapleford can drop some off if your not to far
doctoral

jp wrote:
Quote:

Verrrrry interesting - sounds just like a wood I know not far from me. Methinks I will take a look asap. Nice finds Steve01.

underlying chalk with a sandy surface???
cab

steve01 wrote:
more morels cab let me know if you want some im in stapleford can drop some off if your not to far

I really wish I hadn't been away that weekend now Sad Laughing They look great, though!
PeteS

Anyone else found any Morels? I did have an attempt to look for some over Easter but found nothing. In the last month It has been so dry down south that I can't imagine any mushroom wanting to show itselt just now. Also went out to the New forest where the ground was so dry that there had been a small heath fire. Only saw a few Oyster mushrooms but they'd been pre-dryed in the sun and were rock solid.
doctoral

PeteS wrote:
Anyone else found any Morels? I did have an attempt to look for some over Easter but found nothing. In the last month It has been so dry down south that I can't imagine any mushroom wanting to show itselt just now. Also went out to the New forest where the ground was so dry that there had been a small heath fire. Only saw a few Oyster mushrooms but they'd been pre-dryed in the sun and were rock solid.

Wait for the next rainfall!!!
PeteS

Yes, my great grandfather can remember a time when there was something called April showers Smile
jp

Doctoral wrote:

Quote:
underlying chalk with a sandy surface???

Doc, underlying chalk certainly, but not a sandy surface - more mud really. Still, I'm hopeful come some rainfall. Anyone seen any St Georges shrooms (Calocybe gambosa) out yet - can't be long now...?
PeteS

Hi,

Yes, I found my first St Georges mushrooms on Saturday 14th April. Only a few but given the lack of rain I was surprised to find this.
doctoral

I am really sursprised that anyone has found anything - maybe May will be a bit wetter, although a little meteorological bird told me that the end of April should bring the rain we wait for Razz
PeteS

Due to another pastime I am actually a bit of an amateur weather buff. From what I can see the next significant ran is forecast for the 26th April. After which it seems to be wet, wet, wet. However, in the wonderful world of weather forecasting getting anything accurate for more than 3 days time is near impossible.
wildfoodie

Quote:
From what I can see the next significant rain is forecast for the 26th April. After which it seems to be wet, wet, wet.

bring it on!!! (for the shrooms and veg patch mainly) last may was horribly wet but provided a long st georges season and I got morels into early June Cool
doctoral

I'll keep in touch, Pete - we need someone like you in the foraging section Very Happy !
PeteS

Well, the forecast has changed a bit. However, it looks like the high pressure system that we've had over the UK for the last month (this has given us our dry weather) will be slipping away into the continent over the weekend. After that we should get some rain as frontal systems come in from the Atlantic and temps return to near normal. At the moment it looks like most of the country will have rain on Tuesday/Wednesday. Whatever, I believe we will have rain by the end of next week.
cab

doctoral wrote:
I'll keep in touch, Pete - we need someone like you in the foraging section Very Happy !

Here here! Actually, with the input we're not getting from lots of contributors here who amongst them have a really diverse knowledge base, I'd say that our foraging section is healthier than ever!

Of course, it would be nice if people were to contribute more articles on foraging too... Wink
judith

I've found some morels! An ancient jar of dried ones in the back of a cupboard. What are they good for?
doctoral

Eating, as long as they can be reconstituted - there are loads of recipes available on the internet.

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.thegreatmorel.com/growingtips.html

Rain tomorrow (hopes ...) Razz
Stewy

Yeah, this is some haul Shocked

http://www.thegreatmorel.com/mush/pic173b.html
doctoral

cab wrote:
doctoral wrote:

Here here! Actually, with the input we're not getting from lots of contributors here who amongst them have a really diverse knowledge base, I'd say that our foraging section is healthier than ever!

Of course, it would be nice if people were to contribute more articles on foraging too... Wink

The foraging section is doing just great - I am just trying to encourage the people who post here to provide as much info as they can Wink
PeteS

Well, after the last prediction for rain not amounting to much I'm not sure if I should try agian. We got some here but only a few drops, the ground really needs a good soaking. I think the SW got more.

However, there are signs of a real change. The Met Office has a front (cold) due to cross the country on the evening of Sunday 5th May bringing rain. Other forecasts have the front about 24 hours later. After this it look like we'll be in for some unsetteled weather.

maybe I should start a rain thread?
Treacodactyl

PeteS wrote:
maybe I should start a rain thread?

Many would find it useful, I tend to post up the odd frost warning if it appears we might get a late one, just in case people have missed the weather and have tender plants out.

It might also be worth asking if anyone knows a decent rain dance. Laughing
PeteS

Yes, a good rain dance would be good.

Now looks like rain for Sunday night/Monday morning. Could well have rain on and off for next week too. I do hope so!
bingo

I popped out quickly yesterday to look for St Georges but it's too dry.
mimborin

bingo wrote:
I popped out quickly yesterday to look for St Georges but it's too dry.

Sounds like plenty of rain on the way... Wink
PeteS

Yes, I think it will rain (on and off) most of next week too Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home