Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Hairyloon

Mushroom carving

I've been asked if I can carve these stumps into mushrooms.

My answer was "Probably, but whether they'll be any good... Confused"

I thought a good starting point would be to decide what sort of mushrooms they should be aiming to be: I'm thinking a tall thin type, which I can sort of picture in my head, but not properly.

Any suggestions?
dpack

right sort of shape?

many of the stump carvings i have seen have rotted quite rapidly so if they want value for money with a long life sculpture a sneaky injection of preservative might be useful.
Hairyloon

right sort of shape?

many of the stump carvings i have seen have rotted quite rapidly so if they want value for money with a long life sculpture a sneaky injection of preservative might be useful.

Yes, that was the kind of thing I had in mind, somewhere at the halfway stage.
dpack

Cool
derbyshiredowser

Nail a dustbin lid onto each one and paint it red with white spots, job done.
dpack

Laughing
dpack

or ?
Mistress Rose

Laughing

What is the tree HL? It looks as if it might be beech or sycamore. I would suggest an open ink cap sort of shape, but as Dpack says, may not last too long. Like your idea DD.
Nick

I think the morel looks awesome. But plenty of inspiration here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chainsaw+carving+mushroom&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB653GB654&hl=en-GB&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixu9KngrzaAhXMCMAKHaivCmcQ_AUIGigB&biw=375&bih=591
Hairyloon

Laughing

What is the tree HL? It looks as if it might be beech or sycamore. I would suggest an open ink cap sort of shape, but as Dpack says, may not last too long. Like your idea DD.

Is beech.
dpack

un treated a few years at a guess and probably be looking rather tatty before they crumble.

treated with post stuff via drilling doing the main roots and stump seems sensible, they might last quite a long time with the odd coat of fence n shed treatment to assist with keeping the surface in good condition.
Mistress Rose

The tops are going to be the most vulnerable, so frequent coating with preservative. gregotyn

Do the carvings, if they don't work out the follow Derbyshiredowser's advice! Seriously the preservative route is the best way to go on completion. Hairyloon

Well, they'll be good for practice whatever, and once they're made, they're not my problem, but I will suggest the preservative...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home