Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Went

Mushrooms plus a few ticks.....advice please.

Just back from a mushroom hunt and found a few ticks on arms and neck........arghhhhh!

I know how to safely remove them but does anyone know of any deterrent that can be used? apart from the obvious of keeping skin covered etc?

Rolling Eyes
fish (the other one)

get down the doctors mate! lymes disease is transmitted by ticks so be carefull! Crying or Very sad
cinders

Not sure if sun cream would work as alot of insects tend to bite you less when wearing it

At least it worked for me
Jamanda

fish (the other one) wrote:
get down the doctors mate! lymes disease is transmitted by ticks so be carefull! Crying or Very sad

I second this. It's worth knowing whether it is about in your area. I think you need to wear long sleeved shirts/long trousers if it is.
marigold

Jamanda wrote:

I second this. It's worth knowing whether it is about in your area. I think you need to wear long sleeved shirts/long trousers if it is.

Thirded. Especially if you have any fever over the next few days/weeks - DO NOT be stoical about it!!
sean

A quick google and some reading suggests that DEET is pretty rubbish. Permethrin is pretty good. If you're in an area where there's Lyme's disease then you still need the long trousers/shirtsleeves and trousies tucked into socks thing as well.
Treacodactyl

Jamanda wrote:

How do you know if it's about in your area? In the UK for example I assumed it's country wide, do you get specific hot-spots here?
frewen

I think you have to assume if you are walking around in coarse vegetation in late spring and early summer that there is a possibility of being bitten by a tick who may have Lymes. But the parasite has to be attached for 24-36 hours to infect you with the bacterium. A good check over should be sufficient (IMHO).

Lymes if rarely fatal but it can be unpleasant. Ticks deer and Lymes go hand in hand but even so the risk in the Uk is fairly low.
bernie-woman

Treacodactyl wrote:

How do you know if it's about in your area? In the UK for example I assumed it's country wide, do you get specific hot-spots here?

As Frewen says - deer ticks are the ones you really have to worry about - despite it not being fatal it is a bit like having glandular fever, with all of the ascoaited iredness and exhaustion ( a friend of mine had it last year) and it can take months to get better Very Happy
sean

Treacodactyl wrote:

HPA FAQ
cab

I'd go to the doctor. Its very unlikely that you're infected, and I don't know off the top of my head how long it would take after infevtion before theres an effective test. Or if theres anything a doctor can do to prevent the disease hitting you if you have been infected. So I'd phone NHS direct or something, to get some medical advice. Shocking really, I should know some of this stuff.
Went

Thanks 'guys' for the advice - will monitor the situation and seek medical advice if needed - The prevention side is useful and will take note.

Based in Spain so bit more complicated to get help but have a background in health so will act accordingly - thanks.

Found out since that May, June and July are the most likely times when ticks are around in large numbers.
Treacodactyl

This might also be useful:

www.basc.org.uk/media/di_-_lymedisease.pdf
dpack

hope you are ok
probably will be

whatever you may read in a survival manual never use petrol to remove a tick from the dog's scrotum Wink
woodsprite

Strange to say my terrier got a tick at around the same time as this thread. We removed it but obviously not cleanly enough because he had a very nasty 24 hours with a fever and badly infected area around the tick. I was preparing to get him to the vets the next morning (no easy task, he HATES the vets!) only to find that he'd bitten out what was nasty and was jumping around like a puppy again. I or should I say we, have kept the wound clean and its almost all gone now.
How are you Ian?
Jamanda

If you apply a dose of Frontline as soon as you see a tick, it drops off overnight and that's that. Until recently it was only available from the vets but now they can sell it in other places. We get ours from the animal feed merchants.
Went

Things ok here - no abnormal reactions to report (to date).....thanks for asking.

Been mushroom hunting since and well wrapped up this time!

A basket full of Chanterelles and one of Marasmius Oreades....yummy Smile
Green Man

Re: Mushrooms plus a few ticks.....advice please.

Ian33568 wrote:
Just back from a mushroom hunt and found a few ticks on arms and neck........arghhhhh!

I know how to safely remove them but does anyone know of any deterrent that can be used? apart from the obvious of keeping skin covered etc?

Rolling Eyes

I use this
Went

Cheers not heard of this one but will givie it a go....... Smile
marigold

Re: Mushrooms plus a few ticks.....advice please.

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
I use this

Does that work as a midge repellant?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home