Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
alex.swann

Mushrooms that go bad

So a good weekend then it all went wrong.

1. Found some horse mushrooms, I thought they were Field but then a bit of yellow staining on cap, but not on stem. Cleaned em all. Chucked em in frying pan with olive oil - all went bright yellow and then straight in bin.

So is this just because of the oil or were they yellow stainers - any idea anyone?

2. Found loads of chanterelles - bright orange, smelled of apricots white spore print - all in bin. Put just found out they can be hallucnagenic - bugger.

3. Found what I first thought were ceps - turn out to be brown birch bolletes - boring.

4. found some other stuff that was then crushed by a huge bollete I found and put in the 'not sure' bag. The bollette was more maggots than anything else.

Hope you had more luck.

Alex
mochyn

Sorry to say we did! Found tons of Field mushrooms: some for tea, some for soup, some in the fridge: looking forward to the Parasols now.
cab

Re: Mushrooms that go bad

alex.swann wrote:
So a good weekend then it all went wrong.

1. Found some horse mushrooms, I thought they were Field but then a bit of yellow staining on cap, but not on stem. Cleaned em all. Chucked em in frying pan with olive oil - all went bright yellow and then straight in bin.

Ahh, yes, the 'stainer gambit'. Most shroomers go through this at some time. The way out of it is to find a yellow stainer, see and more importantly smell it. Pretty soon you're spotting the difference between stainers and horse shrooms at five yards or more.

Quote:

So is this just because of the oil or were they yellow stainers - any idea anyone?

Horse shrooms can yellow a bit more when they go into a pan, but not usually bright yellow. Dunno what stainers look like in a frying pan, I've never fried them.

Quote:

2. Found loads of chanterelles - bright orange, smelled of apricots white spore print - all in bin. Put just found out they can be hallucnagenic - bugger.

When raw or undercooked they have been known to have an odd effect... Haven't heard of them being hallucinogens when cooked.

Quote:

3. Found what I first thought were ceps - turn out to be brown birch bolletes - boring.

NOOO! Dried they're really nice.

Quote:

4. found some other stuff that was then crushed by a huge bollete I found and put in the 'not sure' bag. The bollette was more maggots than anything else.

Hope you had more luck.

Alex

Well... I've enthused elsewhere already about the best Augus weekend mushrooming I've ever known.
mdw21

Quote:
Horse shrooms can yellow a bit more when they go into a pan, but not usually bright yellow. Dunno what stainers look like in a frying pan, I've never fried them.

They go very bright yellow indeed Wink
wildfoodie

Quote:

They go very bright yellow indeed

yes and they smell really vile like ink. unmistakeable once cooked!
Last year I cooked up a load of mature field shrooms (I thought) which were in fact yellow stainers. I suspect from this experience that an old yellow stainer yellows more slowly, which is why I didn't notice. horse shrooms do have a yellow flush once bruised but it develops very slowly compared to the yellow stainer, which produces an almost instantaneous yellow stain eactly where the flesh has been bruised. And as alex said, with experience the horse and yellow stainers are quite easy to tell apart
Moral: don't pick very mature specimens as they are harder to positively id. and cook up any potential stainers separately to check what they are.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home