Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cibi

My first blewits???

I came across these last week end, and they do seem to match most of the characteristic of the blewit, but I'd very much appreciate advices (and confirmations:D). Thanks
Cap: slightly pointy with a darker colour at the top, getting flatter on the older specimen. Light brown, smooth, silky on drier specimens.
Stem: not very strong, couldn't snap it out, fluffy (technical terms!), fibrous, and slightly purple. End bulbous (cut out on the pictures, oops)
Gills: definitively pinkish purpuly
Pore print: light colour, white yellowish and maybe very light pink if you want to see it pink. (the colour on the picture are not very good, it looks darker than the reality, the most successful print was of a section of a cap hence the strange shape)

dpack

looks very like the ones i ate 2 days back
doctoral

dpack wrote:

Shocked I'll bet they don't look like that now, then ...
cibi

dpack wrote:

And you're still alive... that's encouraging!
But I'm still not 100% sure about these as they are the first blewit-like mushroom that I found. How can I be positive and finally eat them too Confused They're getting old by now (3days) and I wouldn't like to have picked them up to throw them away...
cab

If you aren't positive, throw them away. The indegestion you will suffer worrying about it will be as real and painful as any poisoning you are likely to incur.

You'll find more field blewits and wood blewits soon enough, and you'll soon find a 'typical' specimen, then its really like a light going on, you'll suddenly 'get' what it is that a blewit looks and smells like. And then you'll eat them safely and with confidence.

But for the moment, as you've got doubts after three days, chuck 'em on the compost heap. Likely as not they're not so good as they were when you picked 'em anyway.
Behemoth

Flowery Blewitts?

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6317.asp
doctoral

Smile I does look like a blewit - do you have pictures of any more found in the same place? They should smell slightly of aniseed and be definitely pink/lilac colour underside. The cap does not usually show the colour of the gills - should be a light brownish and semi-glossy, but not sticky or greasy - really need a picture of a few more to be more certain - I don't like to ID based on pics of just one specimen.
cab

Behemoth wrote:
Flowery Blewitts?

Yes, that is the most likely ID, but all the same, if I were Cibi and unsure, I'd not eat them. I've seen plenty of people wory themselves ill with eating specimens they're not sure about Laughing
doctoral

Behemoth wrote:
Flowery Blewitts?

Possible - Rare, Edible and follow the link to Blewit and Chicken Pie ... is it a Red book entry, I wonder ... Rolling Eyes
cab

doctoral wrote:

Possible - Rare, Edible and follow the link to Blewit and Chiken Pie ... is it a Red book entry, I wonder ... Rolling Eyes

I didn't know it was that rare. I used to find tons of them between a lombardy poplar hedge and a lelandii hedge next to a rugby field in Nottingham,
cibi

It doesn't seem to be the flower blewit as it does have clearly pinkish purpully gills. There is also a distinctive smell, quite pleasant and I'll need to check if it reminds me of aniseed. The cap is light brown, shiny, dry and smooth. I'll take pictures of the other ones tonight and post them.
I'm unsure because it's my first mushroom picking season so I've never seen or looked at one before.
Thanks for the advices. Very Happy
doctoral

cab wrote:
doctoral wrote:

Possible - Rare, Edible and follow the link to Blewit and Chiken Pie ... is it a Red book entry, I wonder ... Rolling Eyes

I didn't know it was that rare. I used to find tons of them between a lombardy poplar hedge and a lelandii hedge next to a rugby field in Nottingham,

They aren't that rare, but probably more so than the Field or Wood blewits (I think it is a woody!). I just had to laugh when I saw it described as 'Rare' with a clickable link to a recipe directly beneath it. Laughing
cibi

doctoral wrote:
I does look like a blewit - do you have pictures of any more found in the same place?

here is a selection of them, looking sad and tired by now. And I checked, they do seem to smell of aniseed, one step closer to my first blewits... Very Happy
Any help in confirming your opinion? I intend to go back to the same spot this week end to check if there are some new ones, but would like to know if it's worth picking these again... Confused

jp

I'm jealous, I've never found a blewit of any description in my life - never even seen one in the flesh - must be looking in all the wrong places scratch
cab

The look like gorgeous wood blewits.
doctoral

cab wrote:
The look like gorgeous wood blewits.

Yep, wood blewits, I personally think they smell more of lavender than aniseed, but get a good whiff and nest time you spot some, smell them again - smell is the keenest sense - so if they smell the same, eat them (all provisos on this web site apply) RTFM study
cibi

Thanks again for all the advices!
I checked and double checked all my books and websites, and ate the second batch i picked up saturday, delicious! Very Happy

These are from the new batch. The big ones started to be eaten by maggots, but most of them were untouched.

I still can't quite describe the smell, but it's very distinctive and very strong, can't forget it once you smelled it.
mimborin

Go on then, make me salivate, how did you cook 'em?
cab

See? Once you get a feel and a 'nose' for blewits, you'lll be confident picking them from now on. Great, aren't they?
cibi

I cooked a first batch for trial just in butter and a tiny bit of cream, great! Second batch was the same with a bit more cream as a pasta sauce, good but somehow lost a bit of the strength. But it did keep the flavour of the smell which is pleasantly fruity.
I'll definitively try to find some more next week end! Very Happy
mimborin

Sounds like a good feast to me. i found my first wood blewits of the season last week. There were only two and they were still young so I didn't pick them. Hopefully I will get a chance to go foraging again soon but am getting busier at the weekends now christmas is approaching. santa
Glad to hear your find hasn't left you feeling unwell! pottytrain5 Good luck with finding more.
jp

Wood Blewits (Lepista nuda) - I think I found my first ones today during a walk down the lane from my house, once I got the car fixed Evil or Very Mad . If they are what I think they are (they look just like the book) then they are the first I've every seen/found - Very Happy. I will try to post some photos, but only got camera phone so they might not be too good.
One or two other shrooms which I'm unsure about - I will try to photo these too.
jp

Quote:
I will try to post some photos, but only got camera phone so they might not be too good.

Rats - phone won't let me send the piccies. Schrooms taste scrummy though Very Happy
bingo

I haven't found any blewits yet, and not many before. The ones I have found have been full of maggots anyway. Shame.
cab

Funny season for them so far. Loads of field and wood blewits a few weeks back, then nothing at the weekend.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home