Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
hedgewitch

My First Forage

I staked out a huge bank of ramson last week and went back today to forage there. I brought some ramsons and am baking some bread with it as I type.

The place also had loads of wood sorrel and I have found good places for sweet cicely (very common in certain places near me), nettles and dandelions. I know the nettles and dandelions are not difficult, but it's my first forage, remember Embarassed Laughing

I'm planning to go out tomorrow and do more identifying and finding of stuff and am aiming to make my first foraged salad later in the week and nettle soup, probably with the 'Lancashire garlic bread' using ramsons if that turns out OK today.

I'll report back on the bread Very Happy
cab

Well done you!

You're confident of your ID for sweet cicely?
hedgewitch

cab wrote:
Well done you!

You're confident of your ID for sweet cicely?

Pretty much - I've been looking at the plants for a few years through the seasons and it fits the bill. They are quite small at the moment, but the leaves have the very sweet, aniseed scent quite strongly already. And I know they grow very tall and plume-ey later. The seeds also look right.

All the info I have says it's not that common, but I think it is in a small, localised way around here.
cab

Its common as muck in some places in the North West, Wales, and the West Country. And your ID sounds good. Thought it worth checking, though, as the umbellifers are tricky.
hedgewitch

cab wrote:
Its common as muck in some places in the North West, Wales, and the West Country. And your ID sounds good. Thought it worth checking, though, as the umbellifers are tricky.

I wouldn't be confident of another umbellifer Embarassed Laughing

But I stopped smoking a few years ago in May, and this was the first thing that hit my senses. It was very strong and lovely scent - never noticed it as a smoker Embarassed On regular walks I was blown away by it, and spent some time working out what it was.

Other members of that family may take me some time.to be sure of.. Rolling Eyes Laughing
doctoral

After the seeds have set, they are quite long (about 2 cm) and turn from green to black. The black ones can be collected and sown - they grow quite freely in my back garden - boil with rhubarb to reduce the amount of sugar required for sweetening.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home