Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Behemoth

New Allotment Building

We've got some very clever people who are good at foraging for funding and the next quest is to get a new 'hut' built to replace the garage we have at the moment. the new build is still very much an idea at the moment but we've got some funding to meet with some architects to sketch out a design. The building is supposed to have:

Kitchen
Toilets (possible shower)
Secure storage/shop/equipment store.
Meeting area
Rain shelter

I've managed to get myself co-opeted onto the committee to dicuss spec and design on water efficiency.

Any suggestions re building type/style/design/energy efficiency/tips and hints about what we might want to include..

A timber build is just kindling to the local scrotes, is straw bale any safer/more secure?

Expensive solar cells will get nicked but I'm assuming solar panels for water heating aren't such an expensive option.

Wind power isn't a practical option, the site is surrounded by houses and trees.

In terms of water I'm suggesting rain water for toilets and shower plus an overflow tank for irrigation.

Possibly composting toilets but some fellow plot holders struggle with the chemical loos so I may have to work hard to sell that.

All ideas welcome, cheers.
BahamaMama

Rainwater harvesting/storage tank?
alisjs

I'll be interested in your plans Tahir....we've just landed some funding for our allotment assoc too. We have a grotty hut and want to upgrade. Do you have leccy?
Behemoth

alisjs wrote:
I'll be interested in your plans Tahir....we've just landed some funding for our allotment assoc too. We have a grotty hut and want to upgrade. Do you have leccy?

I'll have you know I'm far prettier than Tahir!

We don't but it's very close as are water and sewerage however I'd be agitating to be as off grid as possible.
alisjs

oops! Embarassed Embarassed sorry! I'm sure you're very pretty!
we have no mains leccy but our problem will be making schemes vandal proof. So as you say PV is out, as is wind turbine, even though we have space
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home