Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
frewen

new doors and windows

I need to sort out a replacement front door as a matter of urgency. Year after year I have bodged it up - it doesn't open in the wet and the panels are so cracked that you can see daylight through them. The door frame is rotten too.

I got a carpenter to come out and quote me for a new wooden door but he hasn't got back to me (been 8 weeks plus). I have no idea on price at the moment.

The window double glazed units at the back are also in need of replacement - so I've wondered about getting those done at the same time as getting a new door

What would be the best thing to do? Get a Upvc front door and windows or go for replacing everything bit by bit in wood?
sean

Wood. A bit at a time if you have to. The environmental costs of uPVC production are enormous. And it won't last anything like as long as wood does.
frewen

Right then - lets just deal with the front door. Now when I track down someone who is prepared to do the job is there anything I can do to ensure that the door it'self comes from a sustainable plantation or is as environmentally sound as possible?

I know this is all a bit basic but I don't know anything about this topic
tahir

Any good?

http://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/ecoplus-doors.php

http://www.chindwelldoors.co.uk/
sean

They should be using FSC certified timber.
frewen

Oooo thanks - that's just the sort of pointer I need Tahir Very Happy

edit FSC?
tahir

Both the links I gave you use certified timber
sean

Sorry, posted before I saw your links. I meant it as a general thing to look for.
marigold

You can probably get a recycled wood door from your local reclamation place that will be in keeping with the house. I was really pleased with the one I had put in my old house, but wish I had followed the advice of the bloke who installed it and hadn't had it stripped. It looked awful and took him ages to fill and prep, then I ended up having it painted anyway 'cos it looked crap bare...
frewen

I hadn't thought of that Smile and I suppose if the frame needs replacing anyway exact size won't be so much of a problem?
Behemoth

Most doors off the peg are a standard size and are trimmed and shaved to fill the hole. A good timeber door, properly maintained from a sustainable source should outlive you.

Call round a few more carpenters, 8 weeks is far too long.
Nick

Only chavs have uPVC. Gervase said so.
tahir

Frewen wrote:
I hadn't thought of that Smile and I suppose if the frame needs replacing anyway exact size won't be so much of a problem?

Bear in mind that a doorset from someone like Green Building Store will be pretty airtight and have good thermal values. Something you should aim for.
sean

Our front door is about 130 years old. It's fine.
The uPVC windows installed by the previous occupants are just over ten years old and need replacing.
Behemoth

We had to replace the timber doors when they were 120 years old. Rolling Eyes

The uPVC windows I put in as a stop gap when we moved in 7 years ago now need maintenance and I can't see them lasting past 15 to 20 years. The 120 year old wooden sash windows I restored at the front are fine but may need a coat of paint this summer on the Southern facing cills.

Our carpenter fitted the door with replacable rubber sealing strips to hepl make them draught proof.
Treacodactyl

I think it depends on your area and what you can afford. Fine hand crafted oiled timber windows might be very green but will stick out like a sore thumb in many neighbourhoods. Doors tend to be different as you often see timber ones. Fitting wise you can pick up a uPVC door and frame for about 400 (Wickes currently do one for 250) and having seen window fitters at work could be fitted in an hour. It might even be stronger than wood and better insulated.

Having said that I'd go for wood for reasons already mentioned by others and because I find it gives a more homely feel to the house.
judith

Treacodactyl wrote:
Fitting wise you can pick up a uPVC door and frame for about 400 (Wickes currently do one for 250) and having seen window fitters at work could be fitted in an hour.

Our oak front door was bespoke made to my design, oiled and fitted for 570 plus the cost of the lock. It makes me smile every time I use it.
tahir

judith wrote:
Our oak front door was bespoke made to my design, oiled and fitted for 570 plus the cost of the lock. It makes me smile every time I use it.

Picture?
marigold

Don't forget the cost of door furniture in your budget - cheap stuff starts to look crap 3 days after it's installed....
judith

Hold on, I'll see if I can find one.
Not going outside as it's pouring with rain.
Nick

judith wrote:

Not going outside

But it'll make you smile. Twice.
frewen

Nick Howe wrote:
Only chavs have uPVC. Gervase said so.

R U lookin' at me? Wink

I lived in Hereford for a bit I'll have you know - and seeing as my mother's still there I'd be careful Twisted Evil
Nick

Hm. What do I know about Frewen...

...pre-grated parmesan....
...Essex....
...uses txt spk n msgs...

I'm going to take a punt and say it was on the South side of the river. Am I right? Wink
frewen

Nick Howe wrote:
Hm. What do I know about Frewen...

...pre-grated parmesan....
...Essex....
...uses txt spk n msgs...

I'm going to take a punt and say it was on the South side of the river. Am I right? Wink

Oh dear Laughing I am laughing so hard - I really am. I am so glad I give off that impression because actually I am a softly spoken but slightly scruffy mummy (who grew up in Cambridge) - I just like to take the rise out of myself sometimes - as it would seem do you. Laughing
Nick

I'll take that as a yes, then.
judith

This is the inside view. Still not going outside Razz

Shame about all the other paintwork that needs doing....
frewen

That's really nice Judith Very Happy

and no Nick - not the South side - sorry to dissapoint you
tahir

judith wrote:
This is the inside view. Still not going outside Razz

Very nice, why the curtain?
judith

tahir wrote:
why the curtain?

I can tell you've never lived at the top of a hill!
tahir

judith wrote:
I can tell you've never lived at the top of a hill!

Laughing Could this be a vote for a really well designed draughtfree doorset?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home