Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
RichardW

New low energy kettle

Amazingly, the outside temperature is low but it still works. It is made up of" disco-ball" reflective panels stuck onto a hand-moulded curved concrete base.

wellington womble

Goodness me. I wonder if you could make some kind of portable version to take camping? Maybe an emergency blanket would suffice, and save on the gas stove for tea in the morning.

Is the contruction important - does it have to be an exact special curve with the kettle in the right bit, or can you just guess? I'm not very good at exact.......
RichardW

I think it would work better if it was focused, but due to the size of the kettle not to focused. Like a sat dish focuses on to the reciever.
They are avaliable off the shelf for camping.

here
here too
or DIY

LOTS HERE

Justme
wellington womble

What a good idea. Grenwich, don't tell Mr Grenwich - I think I may have found that thank you present I owe him!
dpack

i have seen a portable version , folding reflector, double skin vacuum flask ,coated for energy in but no energy out .about 1 kg
boiled 5oo ml water in 20 mins in sun
not as convienient as putting the pot over a few burning twigs given my local climate .ace for sunny places . the method would be useful for a solar still more than to brew up inho
James

dpack wrote:
the method would be useful for a solar still more than to brew up inho

I think this is where this technology will really take off: large solar stills for de-salination and smaller ones for domestic energy production.

I've been trying to figure out an energy efficient, low-tech way of capturing and storing solar, but there's always the bottle neck of concentrating down the energy.

I'm thinking along the lines of rapid growth, high energy crops (sugar beet or possibly carbohydrate rich algae), fermented and distilled. but if you use 'stored' energy to distill, you negate the purpose of collecting the energy in the first place. So a solar still is almost essential in this respect. Shame its not legal Rolling Eyes
RichardW

James wrote:
Shame its not legal Rolling Eyes

It is for making ethanol fuel?

Richard
James

yes.
Solar pannels have many draw back:
1)They take large amounts of energy to build,
2)they are quite inefficient,
3)solar thermal can only be stored for short periods (until it cools down),
4)PV cells cannot be maintained/ adapted/ tweaked easily. They're effectively a factory sealed unit.
5) They have a finite life.
6) production of PV cells is going to become extremely expensive when energy costs increase and raw materials become scarce.

In a low carbon world, simple photosynthetic lifeforms offer a very simple, reasonably efficient solar collector. Algae can convert waste nutrients in domestic grey water into simple carbon chains by photosynthis. By ferment it & distilling this, You can store a little bit of the summer energy though into winter without the need for expensive, unsustainable deep cell batteries or massive heat sinks.

This approach is only possible if:
1) a clean algael culture can be maintained.
2) energy isnt wasted distilling the alcohol.
Helen_A

Hmmm - and isn't solar boiling of water the way those solar turbines are 'making power' down in Spain?

Oh - and where could I find one of the 'portable' ones Dpack... I could make use of one of those (as cooking is the major user of electricity in this house atm)

Helen_A
RichardW

James wrote:

6) production of PV cells is going to become extremely expensive when energy costs increase and raw materials become scarce.

The next generation (available now if you are a power utility in Germany) are literaly printed onto metal foil sheet rolls. Production costs are 30 cent per watt & are sold at 90 cents per watt. Current panels cost 3-4 per watt.

Richard
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home