Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Rob R

New rain-friendly building

New rain-friendly building
Went

Hopefully this 'technology' and common sense approach can be used for all future bulding projects......likely to happen though?....I think not....when has common sense ever been part of the equation?
James

no matter what the design, it still needs to get passed the oh-so-stayed conservative local councilors who hold sway in the planning system. If its not a pseudo-Victorian square brick box with windows in each corner and a traditional pitched roof, you're in trouble from the start.
Rob R

True, but I think everyone can take elements from the design with little or no impact on the look of any traditional building. If everyone just saved roof rainwater it's be a significant reduction on the system.
James

yep, and it'd keep our flood risk department happy. They must be consulted by law on any build in a flood plane, and will willingly object to something that doesn't pass muster.
Maxwell Smart

The problem with traditional buildings, grey water collection aside, is that they really don't allow you to take advantage of passive systems to aid in heating/cooling. Which I think in many aspects is much more important for helping to create architecture which aims to minimise its footprint.
sean

I'm not sure that that's true. Our house was built in 1880ish. You can heat the whole place in the winter via one small woodburner in the front room and it stays pleasantly cool in summer. I suspect that it's more of a problem with post WW2 housing stock.
Maxwell Smart

sean wrote:
I'm not sure that that's true. Our house was built in 1880ish. You can heat the whole place in the winter via one small woodburner in the front room and it stays pleasantly cool in summer. I suspect that it's more of a problem with post WW2 housing stock.

Actually I was thinking London homes even of that era but in existence today - big glass windows making them hot in summer and badly insulated with single pain windows and woefully inadequate "modernish" heating making them dreadfully cold in winter.

But your point is well taken. Proper traditional homes with curtains, decent ventilation and an Aga or other wood burner are not bad at all.

Is your house stone?
Jamanda

Yes. The walls are about 3 foot think in places.
Rob R

Jamanda wrote:
Yes. The walls are about 3 foot think in places.

I thick you've got that a little wrong. Wink Very Happy
Behemoth

A three foot think is a yard of thought.

One of the issues of using grey water/rain water is that to comply with EU regs it has to be treated and the equipemnt is very unreliable. Thames Water did a trial of fitting half a dozen houses with some grey water systems for flushing the loo. They all broke down within a year and the customers didn't notice as the emergency mains supply kicked in. Strangely all the customers thought their bills had gone down.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home