Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sean

New toy...

Got an angle grinder and a couple of packs of blades from Lidl this morning. Twenty-six quid for the lot. Time will tell but it comes with a three year guarantee and I don't anticipate being a heavy user.
Nick

HSE is a PITA.

Use eye protection. Sparks or dust will get in your eyes with one of them.
dpack

grinders can be tricky beasts.

you call it a grinder but for that price i am assuming it is probably a 4 1/2 in , side handle, plug in , it has switches of some sort, a guard, several collets and a variety of things to spin.

that assumed without plugging it in , how do the switches feel? if ok goto

read instructions, fit grinding disk. take edges off securely fixed scrap metal. still unharmed and want to play some more? if ok goto.

do it to a line. if ok goto.

read instructions, fit offcut disk, cut securely fixed stuff. ok? if ok goto.

practice.if ok goto.

do jobs.

ppe is a bit tricky with grinders , ballistic goggles are good. gloves need to be protective but practical for manipulating the machine. you dont want owt dangly of/or on your person.

stuff catches fire just to add to the fun
a disintegrating disc is best seen from a distance so pay attention to the instructions re choosing or fitting disks

even some of the little ones have a bit of a twist kick when you turn em on if they dont have slowstart.

all of them have personal quirks and between em can kick in a variety of ways .

be careful with it,

ps if it does not have autostop if you drop it make sure it will miss you if you do drop it. a running grinder doing a python round your thigh is a bad day at work.
buzzy

You need a good mask, I think. Don't want to be breathing in finely minced debris of whatever it is you are cutting. Make sure you get the right filter size.

Henry
dpack

sorry im a slacker, did i mention ear defenders?

chances are with a cheap machine you need 40d'B cans rather than the cheapo diy ones but £15 or 20 is better than hearing damage.

you might have got lucky but my money is on it screams like a banshee Laughing

another thing the charming little critters do is separate themselves from their spanners , a bit of string and tie it to the plug end of the wire is a neat trick Wink
keep it all in the box or tool bag is the first casualty of the fog of cutting Laughing Laughing Laughing

re wire brushes just dont with a small domestic grinder unless it came with a proper brush set and a cup guard for cup brushes.

wires flying out is nasty but wires catching something can be really horrid.

grinders dont cut flesh, they tangle it, then they cut bone if they can, or they chuck stuff at high energies.
careful is best.
Ty Gwyn

One thing you missed regarding safe use,
Make sure the cable is behind your legs in use.
dpack

yep Rolling Eyes

what else have we missed?

Idea

switches:
if it has a lock on in run mode it might be in that when the plug is switched on.
if the off function in normal use is a positive act rather than " dead man " style be prepared to unplug it when you drop it . it will happen, it is exciting, sorry brutal but true.

i hope im not putting you off they are handy tools although they are somewhere above most hand help power tools in the H n S list.
a bit more dangeroos than drills and a bit safer than a chainsaw or gas axe
dpack

my new toy of the month is a double bevel mitre saw, pretty safe unless i am really stupid.

my i should not have done this month that was using a 1980's rather knackered jig saw to cut a 5 minute curve on a work surface which ruined my hand and arm with vibration damage

did we mention vibration?

grinders are not too bad but if if buzzes a lot in the hand bin it.

vibration injury is horrid
sean

Doesn't lock on. Needs trigger and safety button pressed to start.
Seems solid enough, not too vibratey and I've dealt with the bolts, nails etc that were sticking out of the newly visible garden wall without injury or deafness so I'm reasonably happy so far.
Mistress Rose

It never ceases to amaze me that things like angle grinders, chain saws and other dangerous beasties are sold in places like Lidl or even mail order or on line with no checks on a persons competence, whether they have training, PPE or anything. And then they are worried about knives being sold in the same way. Crazy!!!!!
tahir

Bit harder to stab someone with a mains powered angle grinder
Nick

Ignore the nay sayers. Whack in your flip flops, shorts and wife beater and get the job done. Turning the radio up loud will make any noise the grinder makes irrelevant and if you do it in the rain, any dust will be dealt with.

They’ve got chainsaws next week.
Nick

Get a decent extension cable.
dpack

Laughing

if it isnt raining a hose pipe will deal with the dust and sparks.

glad it seems fairly tame and safe so far.

do be careful, they have quite a nasty bite when they get stroppy.
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing Nick.

I bet you wished you'd not mentioned it now don't you Sean? Very Happy
Snowball

I read "apple grinder" at first.
I was very confused by the advice about masks and ear protectors.
Hairyloon

Get a decent extension cable.
If it is the type with a variable speed control, they'll run off an inverter and a battery if you start them at a lower speed to avoid the startup surge.
buzzy

Well, yes, but a big lump of metal swinging at the end of a bit of power cable can make a useful weapon.

Henry
buzzy

Laughing Laughing Nick.

I bet you wished you'd not mentioned it now don't you Sean? Very Happy

Sean's never going to tell us of problems, even if he cuts his legs off, for fear of the deafening chorus of "We told you".

Henry
sean

I've been using my nose to type for the last 24 hours. Shan

We all hope it was your nose and not a euphemism for something else. Shocked

As far as toys go - I have acquired a 6hp petrol wood shredder. Very Happy It's beautiful. Embarassed
sgt.colon

What kind of MPG do you get from that then Shan? Jamanda

HSE is a PITA.

Use eye protection. Sparks or dust will get in your eyes with one of them.

I said that! (I was ignored)
sean

I was wearing glasses. I will get some proper gear though. dpack

screwfix and suchlike firms do a variety of eyewear,
over glasses is not an issue.

you need the ones that do dust, sparks, swarf, bolt heads, bits of a burst disk, the blunt end in the face etc etc Rolling Eyes

the anti mist anti scratch ones are good.

these work they do steam up a bit if you are swinging a breaker but for a bit of light grinding they should outlast the machine

i have some rather posh ones as well, nice but i prefer the bolle ones

in the shop and try things over your glasses is wise Wink
Mistress Rose

I agree about anti-scratch. Polycarbonate are really tough and will withstand most things, but scratch like mad. We were supposed to wear them at college, but they got thrown into a box and scratched so badly they were virtually opaque, so us part timers refused to wear them on safety grounds. Shan

What kind of MPG do you get from that then Shan? i haven’t tried to ride it yet! Shocked buzzy

What kind of MPG do you get from that then Shan? i haven’t tried to ride it yet! Shocked

Be quiet, Nick! Wink

Henry
Nick

As always, I am on my very best behaviour.

If I wasn’t, I’d make a crack about it being useful for dealing with unkempt bushes.
Shan

I'll let J know. Razz sgt.colon

unkempt bushes.

How do you know this?!?!? Shocked Laughing
Nick

unkempt bushes.

How do you know this?!?!? Shocked Laughing

I’ve seen programs on gardening.
sgt.colon

Gardeners world these days!!!! Very Happy Nick

Gardeners world these days!!!! Very Happy

Besides, a gentleman never tells.

I'll drop you a PM.
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing Shan

It has nothing to do with me! Nick

As an addendum, am able to add that if you do slightly graze yourself with a metal grinding disc, just on a thumb knuckle, for example, it’s possoble the wound will be self cauterising.

Ow ow ow.
sean

As an addendum, am able to add that if you do slightly graze yourself with a metal grinding disc, just on a thumb knuckle, for example, it’s possoble the wound will be self cauterising.

Ow ow ow.

Ouch. Still at least you haven't damaged a perfectly good glove.
Nick

No. And the disc looks fine. dpack

digging a thumb out of the gap between guard and disc is best done in a timely manner, jerky in the moving parts will invalidate the guarantee.

re good gloves

well fitting ( try various sorts to see which are a best match for your paws )
easy to manipulate things large or small ( buttons switches etc ? )
gel padding against vibration on the inside
anti-cut/stab/abrade padding and armour on the outside
grip patches on the inside
armour for radials/wrists ( v important for grinder gloves )

about £20 usually,
Nick

DS doesn't appear to be accepting pictures right now, else I could show you how minor it really is. tahir

We're all comforted to know you didn't damage the disc. Shan

Would be a waste of a good disc. Nick

Remind me why I like you two? jema

I've been using my nose to type for the last 24 hours.

Got a Ryobi cordless angle grinder with a Saw blade attachment a few months ago, luckily our Sean seems to have the common sense to be too scared to use it, otherwise limbs would be flying everywhere.
Shan

Remind me why I like you two?
Must be our charm and wit.
Shan

I've been using my nose to type for the last 24 hours.

Got a Ryobi cordless angle grinder with a Saw blade attachment a few months ago, luckily our Sean seems to have the common sense to be too scared to use it, otherwise limbs would be flying everywhere.

Her will probably be along to refute that. Laughing
sean

Different Sean. And I'm not the person who angle-ground his thumb. Nick

It's almost healed.

sean

Nice scorch marks. Shan

Nice scorch marks. poor disc Nick

Nice scorch marks.

As I say, self cauterising.
sgt.colon

It looks like a comet blazing a trail. dpack

ouch, sympathies and thanks for the timely reminder about ppe Nick

Hey, Sean. Grinders are for wimps.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-inverter-welder/p/085506226214500?gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSY1DGNgUxIQcDuz-M1Iru3rAHW1ZSzuGcDCxqBhY00NZGaPmu5LEWBoCHcAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIij196Jtt0CFYY8GwodC3sGqA
dpack

Laughing

i prefer gas for most jobs but a stick welder is better for mending that sneaky leak from the petrol tank in a small space Laughing

is the instruction book for the welder as good as i imagine it might be?

the hat is rather imaginative, a blind* zen master approach to striking an arc while wearing a tea chest on yer face is not outside my welding skills but i was taught how to cope with that. im not keen on choking either

have fun

* with that sort of hat you need to get near , lower the face shield and then spark up.

the first bit is easy( unless you spark up with the hat raised), the subsequent bits can mess up big style as you can't see em Laughing

the "welders flick" is best taught rather than learnt by chance
sgt.colon

Laughing

i prefer gas for most jobs but a stick welder is better for mending that sneaky leak from the petrol tank in a small space Laughing

Shall we start a H&S list for this one? Very Happy
sean

I wouldn't bother. I'm not buying one and Nick won't pay any attention if he does. Nick

I wore gloves and an exciting mask that went dark before my eyes burnt out. dpack

gloves and magic hat are essentials. magic hats are fun, fairly safe and avoid the flick which only works if you get it right.

good ventilation is always important especially so with coated metal such as galvanised mild steel micro particles of zinc oxide are nasty even by my standards of nasty.

a stiff breeze and a strong sense of self preservation is a decent start but either negative pressure venting for the work or positive pressure clean air supply for the worker are better.

when grinding and probably even more with power brushing a good dust mask rated for such tasks is sensible.

something to remember is that the arc produces a fair bit of uv so any exposed skin will get a suntan you really don't want. wrap up well unless you like skin grafts.
the spark up ionisation creates an emp which can trash delicate electricals if they are too close

it is easy to get heatstroke if you are well covered and welding in a tight space.

spelter can get in yer boots unless you prevent it .spelter thinks it funny to make you scream and hop before you go to hospital. ( i saw that one and how long it took to heal )
ditto into gloves but they are quicker to discard.
and in yer hair or down yer neck .
dreadlocks and welding dont mix , especially if they have been beeswaxed ( not me )

even hot bits of flux when chipping back can leave a stain if they get in a crevice.

a big h n s issue is bystanders , you have a magic hat and a delicate job to do, you will not notice bystanders. if they can look they will and even at 10m the arc will cause distress to a viewer.

re overalls: a tanksuit is pretty good at not catching hot lumps and reasonably flame proof

owt with open pockets can develop issues.

hot things stay hot for ages especially when picking them up or putting something on them.

don't blame me if you wear rigger boots, something with a well sealed bootneck is required.

that isnt really in any order of importance, all of them matter.

there are also the issues of learning to use the thing, the methods are pretty straightforward and easy to research. practise is the only way to gain the skills.
dpack

should the weld need to be more than cosmetic ( how many folk die if the weld fails is a start ) attention to method is important.

vehicles, nuclear reactor vessels and owt that might drop a bridge are best left to full timers.
basic stuff can be learnt pretty quickly Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home