Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
PeteS

New Years Day Fungi Hunt

Hi,

Been off-line for a while.

I went out to look for mushrooms on New Year day and was surprised what I found... winter chanterelle, hedghog mushrooms, horn of plenty and even a handful of chanterelle (the 'summer' type). The horn of plenty was the bigest patch I'd even seen. Many were past it but there was still a lot good enough to eat. Shame I hadn't spotted them 10 days earlier - I'd been past this spot many times. One for next season.

Made a very good risotto using these plus some blewits I'd got a few days before. Great hangover cure! Still had a good many left over.

Also so a few red cracked bolete's
starmoonlilly

Lucky you Very Happy

Went for a similar forage.....but nothing Crying or Very sad
Bernie66

I recently got enough jews ears to sink a battleship, so I made a soup. Not inspiring but it was a soup.
doctoral

Bernie66 wrote:
I recently got enough jews ears to sink a battleship, so I made a soup. Not inspiring but it was a soup.

... the Chinese love them, too!
cab

doctoral wrote:
Bernie66 wrote:

... the Chinese love them, too!

They certainly do. I've managed to swap good hauls of them with for more interesting things from Chinese friends.
bingo

Nice one Pete. I had a look around your dog walking spot just before xmas and found a few Blewits but alot of them had maggots. I also saw that MASSIVE patch of Oyster. It was infested too. I have never seen Oysters that big. It was me that cut the bottom of it (if you were wondering),I had to investigate. If more haven't grown back on that tree, they will.
PeteS

Hello Bingo,

Been off again so only just saw your post. I got a few Blewits from the same place just after New Year but most of these had maggots too. There weren't as many as before and these later ones seemed to have more of a maggot problem. Maybe there isn't so much food for the flys at this time of year? I also find that the younger examples taste better and are less likely to be infested. However, this is no surprise.

As for the Oysters - if it is the same tree (a dead Beech tree) - then I got about a dozen off it that were OK, ie not infested. I left the rest and there was still a massive clump. This tree has at least one other Oyster patch on it, but a bit higher up, and smaller in size. I am sure that more will grow back.

We must meet for a beer one evening in the near future. Maybe we can plan for a Morel hunt etc in the spring. Let me know if you are interested.
doctoral

... may I suggest a general meeting on the subject of beer and morels - I know of a certain person that would engage with both - moi ...
bingo

I am off the beer now but up for a hunt and lemonade anytime guys.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home