Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
shadiya

Off grid popagation bench ideas?

Has anybody got any experience of having a heated propagation unit that doesn't run on electricity? I'm planning on making a hot bed, using decayed bedding but am a little concerned that geese bedding might not contain enough nitrogen to really heat up the straw, so it'll be an interesting experiment but I'd like to have a cunning plan b in case it all goes horribly wrong.... I was wondering if I could burn biodiesel in those old fashioned paraffin greenhouse heaters - does anybody know about this stuff? Or have any better ideas? Thanks
cassy

Wow, that's a really interesting idea. I had resigned myself to not having a heated propagation bench.

You've probably got this info already Garden Organic.
This discusses using bark to provide extra heat - might be useful if you have access to bark or even sawdust?

I've used haybales in the past in the greenhouse to grow cucumbers. There's a similar technique here so maybe you could add some extra 'activator' e.g. urine to supplement your goose manure.

Have you thought about how you might provide mist? I've got visions of a handheld sprayer that you could pump up and operate from outside the unit (to keep the moisture inside the lid). Or a giant rubber bulb that you squeeze as you walk by... Maybe I need to get out more!

Good luck!
Mrs Fiddlesticks

would majoring on insulation to keep the generated heat in be a better plan b? polystryrene sheets for example down the sides?

Years ago I made a hot bed by 3/4's filling an old coal bunker with unrotted horse muck and then putting a layer of top soil on that. I made a simple plastic cover for the top and there was definitely heat even though it was outside.
vegplot

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
would majoring on insulation to keep the generated heat in be a better plan b? polystryrene sheets for example down the sides?

Years ago I made a hot bed by 3/4's filling an old coal bunker with unrotted horse muck and then putting a layer of top soil on that. I made a simple plastic cover for the top and there was definitely heat even though it was outside.

This was the same method used, in principle, to grow exotic fruits such as pineapple in the UK. I saw this in the Lost Gardens of Heligan.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home