Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Penny Outskirts

Our Haul

Well we went for our forage, and this is our haul:

Despite a lot of hard work from Snowball, we didn't really manage to confidently identify any of them Sad

Never mind, a nice walk..... Very Happy (even if the dog did roll in foxes poo Mad )
sean

Re: Our Haul

Penny wrote:

Despite a lot of hard work from Snowball, we didn't really manage to confidently identify any of them Sad

Is that because they're all a bit out of focus? Wink
pricey

That's a good load there Penny.

Doesnt look as if there is mushroom left in your dining room now. Laughing
hedgewitch

Penny wrote:

I think they're mushrooms... Wink

I'll get me coat... Rolling Eyes
cab

Better focus would help Laughing

Something there looks like a common funnel cap, and there are more that could be amethyst deceivers or wood blewits. Better pics and I'll bet theres something to eat there Wink
Penny Outskirts

hedgewitch wrote:
Penny wrote:

I think they're mushrooms... Wink

I'll get me coat... Rolling Eyes

When asked if she'd managed to identify any - Snowball kept saying "they're fungi" Laughing Laughing

Compost heap time???
Penny Outskirts

cab wrote:
Better focus would help Laughing

Something there looks like a common funnel cap, and there are more that could be amethyst deceivers or wood blewits. Better pics and I'll bet theres something to eat there Wink

Ooh ooh ohh - I looked at the book a bit ago and thought amythest thingies and wood blewitts were possible.

Better piccie of those coming up!!
cab

Cool... I'm in and out of the dark room this afternoon, I'll look forward so pretty pics inbetween Smile
Penny Outskirts

Can't get a decent piccie with my phone, will have to wait until the eldest gets home with his mega doodah thingy Sad

But here's a few in case you can tell from them...

They really are bad piccies - sorry Embarassed
Jonnyboy

Here's what I picked during my ramble with the kids today. Making a cuppa then getting the books out...
Penny Outskirts

You're just showing off your posh camera now aren't you Rolling Eyes Wink

Have you actually eaten any fungi you've picked yourself yet JB?? I was just wondering how long it takes before you get confident enough Confused

I'm looking at this lot on the table, feeling very sad that they will go on the heap - the look and smell lovely Sad
Jonnyboy

1.3mp camera phone. Laughing

Yes, I've eaten them, I've stuck to the species i can confidently identify for family eating and kept the one's I'm sure about but never had before to myself.

Anything I'm completely unsure of, and people on here can't enlighten me, goes on the compost heap.
Penny Outskirts

Jonnyboy wrote:
1.3mp camera phone. Laughing

Yes, I've eaten them, I've stuck to the species i can confidently identify for family eating and kept the one's I'm sure about but never had before to myself.

Anything I'm completely unsure of, and people on here can't enlighten me, goes on the compost heap.

So what's wrong with my 2mp camera phone then - am i getting too close or something??

How long before you felt confident enough to eat them??
doctoral

Jonnyboy wrote:
Here's what I picked during my ramble with the kids today. Making a cuppa then getting the books out...

Smile Looks good - also looks like you got a few red cracked boletes, possibly a cep, a tricholoma of some sort, an agaric, of some sort, and maybe an aniseed mushroom (toadstool) or two. Can we get some better pics of sides, caps and stems so we can get a better ID - only the ones I describe as tricholoma are possibly not edible - and usually smell fairly bad as well if they are the type I think they are.

Question I guess you are using a macro function on your camera phone Question

penny wrote:
You're just showing off your posh camera now aren't you

Wink Penny, if you dont have a macro function, take the picture from further away - a 2 mega pixel camera should get perfect pics for a website - put the good pics on www.photobucket.com (or another image site) and then generate code e.g. on photobucket, so you can post thumbnails on this site - then they are clickable to produce larger images.

P.S. Make sure the pics can be shared.

Sad It would be a shame to put most of them on the compost heap, from what I see here ...[/quote]
Penny Outskirts

doctoral wrote:
Penny, if you dont have a macro function,

right - first find your handbook.............. Embarassed
doctoral

Penny wrote:
doctoral wrote:
Penny, if you dont have a macro function,

right - first find your handbook.............. Embarassed

Exclamation Thats it .... RTFM Exclamation
Penny Outskirts

Can't find the manual Embarassed any idea where I may find this macro function of which you speak??
doctoral

Penny wrote:
Can't find the manual Embarassed any idea where I may find this macro function of which you speak??

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera phone, but on my camera it is associated with the zoom function scratch
doctoral

..chickens now ...

Question P.S. I have love and a vegetable plot, where do I get the chickens and associated stuff from at a fairly cheap price Question
tahir

Re: ..chickens now ...

doctoral wrote:
Question P.S. I have love and a vegetable plot, where do I get the chickens and associated stuff from at a fairly cheap price Question

Ask the question in the livestock section, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice/leads
Penny Outskirts

doctoral wrote:

Laughing Chickens is cheap, or free sometimes. chicken houses can be made very very cheaply if you have the time and skills. the eggs are just unbelieveable Very Happy
doctoral

tahir wrote:
Ask the question in the livestock section, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice/leads

Quote:
Chickens is cheap, or free sometimes. chicken houses can be made very very cheaply if you have the time and skills. the eggs are just unbelieveable

Thanks Tahir - thanks Penny - I know the eggs are good, my grandfather used to keep them.
Zarza

Please, no more mushrooms pictures, I'm getting all excited (hey, one gets excited with whatever he wants, all right?)
Jonnyboy

Too late, Red cracked boletus.

Click to see full size image

Wood blewitt?

cab

Ooh, tasty. But MUCH improved by drying.
Jonnyboy

Hang on, there's more. I'll edit the pic above rather than reposting.
Azura Skye

booohoo you're all so good, I can find the mushrooms okay, (it's handy having ferrets walking with you, they find a lot) - but don't know where to begin with mushrooms. I think I'll leave em in the ground.

Gwion with some big 'uns, hope he didn't nibble it Smile
cab

jonnyboy, check those potential wood blewits against Cortionarius purpurascens. Look rather a lot like it, more than they look like woodies. Spore print is easiest way to be sore.
Jonnyboy

very similar, Confused problem is mine looks identical to the wood blewitt in Jordan, but dissimilar to the one in Rogers.
doctoral

If it looks dissimilar to the one in Rogers, I wouldn't eat it - he has it 'down pat', as they say.
Jonnyboy

It's rather confusing, Rogers has the gills becoming rust coloured which they ain't. And the pic of cortionarious doesn't look like rogers either?
doctoral

Re: Zarza

Zarza wrote:
Please, no more mushrooms pictures, I'm getting all excited (hey, one gets excited with whatever he wants, all right?)

Heres another to get excited about ...

... it is supposed to have an anti-cancerous effect in chinese medicine, especially with breast cancer.
Stewy

What is it?
doctoral

Embarassed Sorry, it is a ganoderma lucidum, although it is worth noting that the stem is not horizontal, as described by Mr Phillips. Rolling Eyes Not always the bible that it may seem ...
doctoral

Jonnyboy wrote:
It's rather confusing, Rogers has the gills becoming rust coloured which they ain't. And the pic of cortionarious doesn't look like rogers either?

There are several variants, as far as I am aware, and I wouldn't eat them - they do look a bit like cortinarius although some blewits are similar. They could be lepista irina - could also be something considerably more inedible, but I am not sure from the photo. Confused Any other pics?
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

Confusing, isn't it Laughing Don't worry, when you know you've seen both then they become easy to distinguish, the smell alone is enough.

The spore print sorts the two out easily till then.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home