Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Shan

Portuguese Insects

Don't ask me exactly what they are.... I can get as far as possibly a funnel spider, a caterpillar and a big bug! Shocked

Tried to get the funnel web photo upright but it loads that way. It's the right way up on my computer.
sgt.colon

Nice pictures Shan.

Are you all settled in over there now?
Shan

Not living there yet... just back and forth a lot but at least the household is coming along.
buzzy

I think the 'big bug' is a type of bush cricket, but it may be a juvenile.

Seems as if you're going to have an interesting wildlife time!

Henry
Shan

There are a lot of bugs there.... Shocked

I'm a bit worried if the big bug is a juvenile! Shocked

The bees are incredible. The buzzing is so loud you can hear them across the entire hillside! At first I thought it was a swarm.
tahir

I didn't know you were moving, where to?
Shan

Not moving immediately. We have bought a place in Portugal and hope to retire there within a few years. At the moment we are back and forth sorting a few things out.... and trying to manage a few building projects from afar.... Confused You'd think we'd have more common sense.
tahir

Love northern Portugal
Shan

I love Northern Portugal too but as I get older, I think I will appreciate a climate a little less like Wales. Old and cold and damp is not something I aspire to! So we have bought in the East Algarve in the hills - less touristy than the West and Central Algarve and we have Tavira (charming town with a fabulous municipal market) within 20 minutes.
tahir

Sounds great
Shan

I wouldn't be offended if you said "sounds shit". Laughing
tahir

It does sound great, I hope you enjoy your new adventure
Shan

Thanks. So far so good. Been enjoying the mountains of fresh fish at the municipal market.... ahem... not to mention the wine.... Embarassed
gz

I love Northern Portugal too but as I get older, I think I will appreciate a climate a little less like Wales. Old and cold and damp is not something I aspire to! So we have bought in the East Algarve in the hills - less touristy than the West and Central Algarve and we have Tavira (charming town with a fabulous municipal market) within 20 minutes.

Sounds good..and you have time to master the language before you move there properly.

What are winters like there?
Shan

We rented a place for a couple of months (Nov - Feb) and quite enjoyed the bits of time we were able to spend there. The days were temperate with the nights being cooler. Apparently, it was a very unusual Winter in that it was quite dry because that area normally gets most of its rain during December/January. Having said that, it tends toward downpours as opposed to several days of drizzle, so plenty of time to spend outdoors. Temps get up to about 16/17 deg C, so quite pleasant.

As for Portuguese - yes, starting to develop the vocabulary. Regularly get the gender of words wrong. Embarassed
gz

It'd be interesting to see which words were M/F...for example lorry and van in Welsh are female..and car is male.. cat is female,dog,male.
I wonder if there is a pattern or reason in the languages that have kept genders
Shan

I probably need to do some comparisons to my rudimentary French vocabulary.
gregotyn

I had some good holidays in Portugal on the Algarve, but being agricultural I enjoyed the coach trips up into the hills better than the seaside with thousands of suitably brown bodies whilst I had to keep covered up! We used to buy a lot of the timber from the hills above the Algarve for our fencing panel manufacture. Once you are out of the coastal area Portugal is something else-beautiful, and the people have the right pace for a good life.
Shan

Completely agreed. I'm not really a fan of beaches and crowds of people (I prefer to view a beach from afar off the back of a boat). The hills are beautiful and so changeable. The amount of wildflowers is absolutely stunning. Also, we have seen so many different birds as well as signs of wild boar in the forests. You can never get bored of it.
Nick

Thanks. So far so good. Been enjoying the mountains of fresh fish at the municipal market

Sounds shit.
Shan

Thanks. So far so good. Been enjoying the mountains of fresh fish at the municipal market

Sounds shit.
It's terrible - don't come, you wouldn't enjoy it! Laughing
sean

Sounds shit.

They love their broad beans too.
Shan

......and fish......... Nick

Sounds shit.

They love their broad beans too.

Fools.
Nick

Sounds shit.

I’ll be there. Never happier than when moaning.
Shan

Sounds shit.

I’ll be there. Never happier than when moaning.
Hopefully it will be national octopus week.
Nick

Oh. I’m alright with calamari. And I might try octopus. Shan

National prawn week? Nick

National prawn week?

Always National gin week. That’ll do. When are you free?
Shan

I don't think my liver could tolerate you for a week. dpack

Laughing wellington womble

Those caterpillar nests are a menace. Mum gets them in Spain and the hairs on the caterpillars make people horribly ill if you breathe them. The caterpillars themselves form conga lines around the place and everyone avoids them like the plague.

Other than that it sounds lovely.
Shan

Apparently there's some sort of caterpillar in the pine forests that are a hazard to dogs respiratory systems. Mistress Rose

Are you talking about oak processionary moth? They have become a menace in London and although they don't think they can eradicate them, they are trying to minimise them because of the health risk. Shan

Similar - they call it the Pine Processionary Caterpillar.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home